WORST Military Small Arms of the 20th Century

About WORST Military Small Arms of the 20th Century Page 3

International Military Forums > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology Forums > General Military Hardware, Gear and Technology Discussions
User Name
Password

March 10th, 2004   #21
Popeye

Alright, to clerify my post - They just didn't like having it... because they ecountered the enemy normally too far away to have any effect on them, so they wanted the rifle.

Geronimo !

March 11th, 2004   #22
Gunner13

But even worse - hey maybe its a contender in this category

I'd rather be a Soldier with a mule and mountain gun, than Knight of old, with spurs of gold, or Roman, Greek or Hun. For when there's trouble brewing, they always send for me!

Mortui Non Mordent - Celeritas Et Accuratio

March 11th, 2004   #23
SHERMAN

i disagree info

SMGs are just not ment as main infantry weapons...

March 12th, 2004   #24
Redneck

This isn't exactly a small-arm, but I think that one of the worst ammunition types was the "wonder round" of the AP round for the M16. Green tips just punching right through enemy who did not wear body armor and totally destroyed any stopping power the M16 had.

No boom, no boom, no boom, Amen.

March 12th, 2004   #25
FutureRANGER

Yea I read about that in Black Hawk Down. The bullets would make a nice neat little hole you probably wouldn't even notice. When did we stop using the green tips?

March 12th, 2004   #26
Redneck

Still use them for training (I imagine we have a couple warehouses full of them somewhere still ), and I imagine you could draw them as mission specific equipment, but I don't know of any being still issued to anyone as a matter of course.

March 12th, 2004   #27
Redleg

We did also have a 7.62mm AP round for our rifles.

They were infact very effective for what they were intended for, Piercing Armor, not humans...
But now the Multi-Purpose round for the 12,7mm guns have taken the old AP rounds place, and making it obsolete.

March 12th, 2004   #28
Jamoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
This isn't exactly a small-arm, but I think that one of the worst ammunition types was the "wonder round" of the AP round for the M16. Green tips just punching right through enemy who did not wear body armor and totally destroyed any stopping power the M16 had.
The m16 has stopping power? Who knew!?!
What about the dudes who "X'd" their 5.56 rounds? Anybody think that mattered?
Anyway, we still had grease guns in my unit in 1998. They were issued to mechanics and others who worked in tight places. Never saw them fired though.

March 13th, 2004   #29
FutureRANGER

Quote:
Anyway, we still had grease guns in my unit in 1998. They were issued to mechanics...
hahahah lol

Anyone else catch that?

March 13th, 2004   #30
Jamoni

LOL that was totally unintentional!!!