WORST Military Small Arms of the 20th Century

Alright, to clerify my post - They just didn't like having it... because they ecountered the enemy normally too far away to have any effect on them, so they wanted the rifle.

This isn't exactly a small-arm, but I think that one of the worst ammunition types was the "wonder round" of the AP round for the M16. Green tips just punching right through enemy who did not wear body armor and totally destroyed any stopping power the M16 had.

Yea I read about that in Black Hawk Down. The bullets would make a nice neat little hole you probably wouldn't even notice. When did we stop using the green tips?

Still use them for training (I imagine we have a couple warehouses full of them somewhere still :lol: ), and I imagine you could draw them as mission specific equipment, but I don't know of any being still issued to anyone as a matter of course.

We did also have a 7.62mm AP round for our rifles.

They were infact very effective for what they were intended for, Piercing Armor, not humans...
But now the Multi-Purpose round for the 12,7mm guns have taken the old AP rounds place, and making it obsolete.

Redneck said:
This isn't exactly a small-arm, but I think that one of the worst ammunition types was the "wonder round" of the AP round for the M16. Green tips just punching right through enemy who did not wear body armor and totally destroyed any stopping power the M16 had.

The m16 has stopping power? :shock: Who knew!?!
What about the dudes who "X'd" their 5.56 rounds? Anybody think that mattered?
Anyway, we still had grease guns in my unit in 1998. They were issued to mechanics and others who worked in tight places. Never saw them fired though.

I actually think some of our mechanics has grease guns now...
Saw a couple of them in the workshop last year.. ;)

I was in active duty U.S. Army. Thats why I remember them, cause it was so odd. There were about 10 of them in a little wooden rack, right by the officers berettas! I asked the armorer about them, and he said they were for soldiers who worked in cramped quarters, but that he'd never issued them.

M3A1s were, and possibly still are, issued as part of the equipment set for recovery tracks in the US Army (that is, M578 and M88 series vehicles). They can be quite accurate out to 50-75 meters if you know what you are doing.

antique maybee they are...but they will still blow a nice 45 caliber hole through you. And they make nice christmas gifts... :D

:lol: absolutely correct Mr. Conley! It is also worth pointing out that no weapon is obsolete in the hands of someone who determined to use it and it prepared to use it well. a .62 caliber ball from a flintlock musket can kill or wound you just as bad as a 5.56mm round from an M16A2 or a Galil SAR!

yes

yes a palestinian marksmen took out 7 IDF soldiers with a worn down M1 carabine, about a year ago....They couldent shoot back cause he was in a good position, they could not spot him....

I would rather have a tommy then a grease gun...

how would you rate a StG44??? my favorite gun of all time (for nationalistic reasons).

Personally, I would rate an STG44 very high indeed as it was the father of the assault rifle and very nearly perfect in its final form. If only OKW and the ordinance types had let the designers use the 7mm cartridge instead of the 7.92mm intermediate round. **SIGH**

BTW, we are supposed to be focusing on BAD weapons, not success stories - as fascinating as this discussion is. Does anyone have another nominee for WORST?

Back