Worst Fighter Aircraft

SHERMAN

Some of the worst desighns-

WWII
Messershmitt Me163 Komet- The fist and only operational Rocket-Fighter. The rocket engine used a mixture of highly reactive chimiacls causing many fires and explosions. Thje Aircraft had no landing gear and had a special cart to take of from....the shock of landing with no gear(like a glider) somtimes caused the remaining chimicals to ignite. 370 Komets were built, but they managed to shoot down only about 10 allied aircraft.

MXY 7 "Baka"/"Cherry Blossom"- This was a specelized Kamikazi plane built by the Japanese. It had a rocket engine and was to be sent of a bomber. Acctually it did its job very well, but the concept is insane.....

Macchi M.C 200-WWII italian desighn. Just so outdated with light armament and an open cockpit...

Fierey Battle-This was acctually a good plane when it appeard in 1937, but by 1940 this UK fighter was hoplesly outdated.It was slow lightly armed and weak engined compard with the German fighters.

Post WWII
Couldent really find any horrible ones....know any?

The fist and only operational Rocket-Fighter

Japan used a number of similar designs on Army planes they worked on late in the war...

worse than the worse

The german experimental Natter rocket craft was by no doubt, the most suicidal operational fighter ever conceived. This liquid rocket powered craft actual had a stubby winged tubular body with 24 rockets mounted in the nose, and was intended to fly to and shoot down U.S. bombers. What often happened was that the ship would uncontrollably veer off course, explode or worse, nose into the ground. Only a very few were built.

Okay I was wrong

There is something worse than a Natter...i did not know this, but there was a human guided version of the V-1 buzz bomb. man, how did you convince anyone to crawl into one of those?

worst

Now a days the worst plane is the F-4E. It is the slowest and the radar system isn't all that great. I would never fly and be in a dog fight with that plane.

Hi No Mercy:

Im sorry, as the son of a Phantom II maintainer, I just got to say something in defense of the old plane:

1. All planes have advantages and disadvantages. In its day, the Phantom II was a mach 2 fighter of good excellence. It took lots of punishment, carried more bombs than a WWII B-17, and because it had two burners, often got back home more times than not. Sure, that hughes fire control system was a nightmare to fix and keep running; thats why most of its kills was made with side winder type IR missles or the gun, or in the case of one F-4 in viet nam, by dumping his whole 500 pound bomb load on the unsuspecting plane below. One thing the air force learned early in the Viet nam conflict; you did not try to dog fight with this aircraft. Of course, often or not, you could jump some one very efficently my geting the high ground and diving on your opponent; that aircrafts weight allowed it to accelerate very quickly going down the gravity well.

2. The Israelis learned quickly that the F-4 wasnt suitable for dogfighting with some of the newer russian and french fighters, so they regulated it to a ground support role of removing targets. They found by extending the flaps, and cranking both engines to almost full non afterburner power, what they had was a rock steady gun and rocket platform that was devastating against ground targets.

3, I was sad to see the last of the Phantom Long noses go. My father spent a good portion of his life on the flight fixing and repairing them at night so the pilot could have something to fly the next morning. Me and my brothers and sisters often spent evenings at his work when we were little, listening to his avionic and weapons crews cursing and yelling at night in the back shops to get the systems up the next day.

Sorry i know you have an opinion...but i just couldnt let that one go by. Nothing personal :D

Re: worst

No MERCY said:
Now a days the worst plane is the F-4E. It is the slowest and the radar system isn't all that great. I would never fly and be in a dog fight with that plane.

The F-4 is far from slow. Radar system, depends on what you compare to, and what version. I can agree that now the AN/APQ-120 is not exactly top of the line, but back when it came online, i would say it was among the best systems around.

Would not call the new radars the German F-4F+ Phantom II ICE and Japanese F-4EJ 'Kai' Phantom II got is outdated. The Israelis have also upgraded the Turkish Phantoms with their latest Elta radar.

And for WVR fights, use the Phantoms strenght, brute force. Boom and Zoom your oponent. Worked very well against Vietnamese and Arab Mig's.

Dang.

No MERCY Posted:

Compared with what? Some Air Forces fly old migs that are much worse. The F4 prooved to be a deadly opponent to any plane that met it. Its a work horse. Its not at all slow, faster then the F16. Not nimble, but with good pilots that shouldent matter. I think its a great plane.

maybe

Maybe I was wrong but compared to an SU-37R or an F-22 it is slow. Even an F-15 does better. But it is a fighter plane and we use it so it must be some what good. okay. I'm soory for my stupidity lately guys it won't happen any more.

In May 1998, when the aircraft was celebrating 40 years in the air, the Phantom was still flying in defence of of eight nations-Egypt, Germany, Isreal, Japan, South Korea, Spain and Turkey. Egypt, Germany, Isreal, Japan, South Korea, and Turkey have under taken a plan to upgrade their F-4s and keep them flying until 2015, nearly 60 years after the phantom's first flight on May 27 1958

Re: worst

I think you are wrong the f-4 was a real good aircraft it is still being used today by japan and isreal.
The F-4E is a good aircraft heres a story of an old display plain that sat on a tarmac at an Air National Guard Base.The plain was going to be shipped to be put on display in a museum the plain sat for a longtime without being flown the mantaince crews came out and inspected it and it passed alll preflight inspections but it still couldnt be flown becuase the e-seat was demilitarized.The plain sat for 10yrs.

The Fairey Battle was classified as a Light Bomber by the RAf, if I'm not wrong. Nevertheless, it was a damned poor design... I think that one that get close to it is the Boulton Paul Defiant, a strange design of a fighter with a rotating turret where all the weapons were te be fixed... but no weapons on the nose. Quickly destroyed by the Me-109.

Maciste said:
The Fairey Battle was classified as a Light Bomber by the RAf, if I'm not wrong. Nevertheless, it was a damned poor design... I think that one that get close to it is the Boulton Paul Defiant, a strange design of a fighter with a rotating turret where all the weapons were te be fixed... but no weapons on the nose. Quickly destroyed by the Me-109.

The pilots that flew boulton paul soon realized that they were meat on the table for the ME 109 individually..until they started defending themselves by flying in pairs, and both going into a eqal distance circular flight path when attacked..the moving turret guns could cover and shoot down the attacking aircraft that was trying to kill the other defiant. Using these tactics made it somewhat easier to survive. according to the web sites, they made good nite fighters... :D

Well... I won't dismiss the heroic behavior of RAF but... ¿did the Heinkel 111 be ever nothing more than a sitting duck against any kind of fighter? :twisted: :twisted:

I think the He-162 Volksjaeger was the worst of them all. A single jet fighter designed to be produced cheap and in large quantity at the end of WW2. They even started to train Hitler youth as pilots for the Volksjaeger. Most of the Volksjaeger losses were from flying accidents, due to problems as engine flame-outs and structural failures.

Back