World's smallest special force

Remington 1858

By this, I mean the least number of personnel. The people in it are normal size.
The Sirius Sledge Patrol must be the the most exclusive special force in the world. It is a unit of the Danish Navy that patrols the wastelands of Greenland by dog sled. Members are on the ice for 26 months, no days off, no entertainment. They work in teams of two, and the partner is the only company, or you can talk to the dogs.
This requires a very special type of outdoor man, or possibly a very special type of outdoor woman. You need great physical and mental toughness, ability to ski and handle a dog team, live in a tent for long periods.
Think about little details like going outside for a call of nature when it's subzero and a high wind blowing.
It's been said that the key to filling any position with the right person is advertising the position correctly. You emphasize all the danger, discomfort, lack of rewards and you will get two types of people applying for the job. Those who can do the job and know that they can do it, or you will get somebody so crazy they think they can do it. And it doesn't make any difference which one is chosen.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTw6WNx_-4"]The Sirius Patrol Denmark) Recruitment - YouTube[/ame]

I am intrigued with the display of the Glock pistol in the opening of the video. I don't know what a Glock 9mm pistol would do for you in Greenland other than being the escape clause in your contract. You certainly won't stop a polar bear or musk ox, it is more suitable for defense against an enraged poodle.

I am intrigued with the display of the Glock pistol in the opening of the video. I don't know what a Glock 9mm pistol would do for you in Greenland other than being the escape clause in your contract. You certainly won't stop a polar bear or musk ox, it is more suitable for defense against an enraged poodle.

Yes a high powered rifle would be a more up to the task, now that you mention it. Particularly with Polar Bears.

Come to think of it, what is he doing with a Silva Ranger magnetic compass. I would think a magnetic compass would be pretty much useless and unreliable at that latitude.

Yes a high powered rifle would be a more up to the task, now that you mention it. Particularly with Polar Bears.
Something like an M-14, if not some surplus M-1 Garands, and a .44 Magnum revolver.

I'd think the world's smallest Elite Force would be the US Army's "An Army of one". snicker:D

The rifle that is normally used by the Sirius Sledge patrol is the rifle known to Americans as the 1917 Enfield in Caliber 30-06. This caliber would seem adequate. This same rifle is known to Brits as the pattern 1914 Enfield, although the original British version was in .303 British.
The Danish modify the rifle slightly with a new set of sights, but otherwise it is a 1917 Enfield. How that firearm turned up in the Danish inventory would be an interesting tale.
A friend of mine was a bush pilot in Alaska for twenty years. I asked him what type of firearm he kept in his plane in case he was forced down. It was a twelve gauge pump shotgun with a variety of ammunition including slugs for dangerous game, 12 gauge aerial flares, and various shot sizes for hunting.

The M-1917 is plenty, probably they should have a few rounds of 220 grain hollow points in case a Polar Bear shows up.

Back