Women Heros in War

Duty Honor Country

Yes, there are women who served honorably in the military and who were heros in combat. I would like to hear more about these fighting ladies.

I will start off with Margaret Corbin. She was by her husband's side during the fight for Fort Washington on November 16, 1776. Her husband fell with a fatal would, and Marget took over the loading of a cannon until she too was wounded.

Then there's Mary Ludwig Hays McCauley "Molly Pitcher." She carried pitchers of water to wounded men. She gained the nickname "Molly Pitcher," which was used widely during the war. During a battle at Monmouth, New Jersey, she also took over a cannon when her husband, Captain John Hays, fell at his cannon.

These 2 women chose to fight when women had no roll in combat.
pitcher.jpg

Deborah Sampson posed as a man and fought in the Revolutionary War. She did very well for herself apparently, and wasn't discovered until she was wounded and unconscious at one point, and the doctor discovered some things. LOL, she's like my great, great, great, great Aunt or something along those lines.

29 of the female pilots got the Hero of the Soviet Union title. I never knew the Soviet Union had female fighter pilots.

You learn something new everyday

Here is a few that I found:

The Revolutionary WarThere is Anna Warner, wife of Captain Elijah Bailey, who earned the title of "The Heroine of Groton" because of her fearless efforts to aid the wounded on the occasion of the terrible massacre at Fort Griswald in Connecticut. Anna Bailey went from house to house collecting material for bandages for the soldiers. Incidentally she denied ever having used the coarse and profane expressions ever attributed to her.

The War of 1812
The USS CONSTITUTION met and defeated HMS GUERRIERE, the first in a grand succession of victories in the War of 1812. It was during this ferocious battle that the seamen, astonished at the way the British cannonballs were bouncing off the Constitution's hull, cried out - "Her sides are made of iron!"; Thus, her nickname, "Old Ironsides." What was not known at the time was the fact that a U.S. Marine, serving aboard Old Ironsides, as George Baker, was actually Lucy Brewer. Eventually the Marine Corps reluctantly acknowledged that Lucy Brewer was in fact the very first woman marine. It would be over one hundred years before the Marine Corps seriously began to recruit women - August 1918 - to be specific.

Mexican American War
Sarah Borginis The Mrs' Borginis and Foley enlisted with their husbands into the 8th calvary at the Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Sarah became the principal cook at Fort Brown (Fort Texas) and stayed on the job when General Taylor moved most of his troops to the mouth of the Rio Grande. However, when the Mexicans began bombarding Fort Texas, (Fort Brown) from their positions at Matamoros, she was isssued a musket. It's said she took an active part in the ensuing fray, never missing a target or preparing a meal. Gen. Zachary Taylor breveted her to colonel, making her the first female colonel of the U.S.Army. She moved to El Paso and opened a hotel. For years it was a favorite stop of '49ers heading for the California gold fields. She later moved to Arizona and ran a Yuma saloon until her death in 1866. Col. Borginis was buried at Fort Yuma with full Military Honors - the first woman to be a ranking U.S.Army officer.

The Civil War
Dr Mary Walker, a surgeon in the Civil War, was awarded the nation's highest honor by President Andrew Johnson. The citation reads, in part, Whereas it appears from official reports that Dr. Mary E. Walker, a graduate of medicine, has rendered valuable service to the government, and her efforts have been earnest and untiring in a variety of ways, and that she was assigned to duty and served as an assistant surgeon in charge of female prisoners at Louisville, KY., under the recommendation of Major-Generals Sherman and Thomas, and faithfully served as contract surgeon in the service of the United states, and has devoted herself with much patriotic zeal to the sick and wounded soldiers, both in the field and hospitals, to the detriment of her own health, and has endured hardships as a prisoner of war four months in a southern prison while acting as contract surgeon....Dr. Walker was an early suffragette, one of the earliest women physicians, a champion for more comfortable clothing for women and a pioneer for women in many areas that we take for granted today.

The White Mouse

Probably Australia's most famous female warrior and a heroine to the French resistance of WWII is Nancy Wake or as she was known to the French and the Germans the White Mouse.
A remarkable lady and not afraid to give an honest opinion about the realitys of war as many a reporter has discovered when interviewing her.
To prove herself to the resistance when she first worked with them (she was SOE?) she had to strangle or slit the throat of a captured German soldier. SHe did it.
Tough old bird.

milunka savic-serbian heroine from WWI. se joined serbian army as 17 year old boy. she fought and crossed albanian mountains with serbian army. when she got wounded she did not let doctors check her wounds, but finally they discovered the true. I think she was awarded for bravary.

She did what no French man has ever succeeded in; successfully defended France and expelled the invaders with no real foreign help.

Man, a lot of European women are huge and well built. It doesn't take much imagination to believe that they would have made good fighters.

My sister, like myself, is 3/4 Scot and 1/4 German. She stands 5' 10" with flaming red hair and a build that has been described as being like a Frank Frazetta painting model. She grew up with four brothers and could well hold her own. I still remember when she knocked me out with one punch in the head for scaring her in the dark when we were in our teens. She could _be_ Boudicca alright. Don't have any fantasies about her though. Her husband stands 6' 11" and is a land surveyor (i.e. in good shape).

Soviet Female Snipers are the women that are the biggest heroes of war to me. What they did was incredible.

Hi,

Lakshmi Bai :

Lakshmi Bai, the Rani of a principality called Jhansi in northern India, led an uprising against a takeover of her homeland by the British. She became a heroine and a symbol of resistance to the British rule.

The Indian queen Jhansi Ki Rani Lakshmibai (Lakshmibai, Queen of Jhansi) practiced the arts of war since childhood. Born a noblewoman, she married the Rajah of the state of Jhansi and became an accomplished military leader. She led her armies into battle and resisted the British to the bitter end. She killed many European men in battle with her own hand.

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Re: The White Mouse

Warwick said:
Probably Australia's most famous female warrior and a heroine to the French resistance of WWII is Nancy Wake or as she was known to the French and the Germans the White Mouse.
A remarkable lady and not afraid to give an honest opinion about the realitys of war as many a reporter has discovered when interviewing her.
To prove herself to the resistance when she first worked with them (she was SOE?) she had to strangle or slit the throat of a captured German soldier. SHe did it.
Tough old bird.

she was a kiwi by birth i believe, she had some connection to NZ anyway and her few interviews are incredible....i had no dobt that this woman was very formidible

Back