The Winter War

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
As you all know by now, the Soviets attacked Finland in 1939 as a part of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. The Finns put up a harsh resistance to the Soviets so be aware of of the Finnish Sisu. Winter is a part of our environment, it is a season and not viewed as something different from spring, summer, and fall. Without being prepared for when it goes below -30C (-22F) you are going down. The Finnish/Russian winter war was something horrible for both parties.

There is a war movie about this war, it is pretty long, over three hours, but it is worth it. It has English subtitles, unless you speak Finnish, but Finnish is not a language, it is a sound.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEt20DwcmQ"]YouTube[/ame]

As you all know by now, the Soviets attacked Finland in 1939 as a part of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. The Finns put up a harsh resistance to the Soviets so be aware of of the Finnish Sisu. Winter is a part of our environment, it is a season and not viewed as something different from spring, summer, and fall. Without being prepared for when it goes below -30C (-22F) you are going down. The Finnish/Russian winter war was something horrible for both parties.

There is a war movie about this war, it is pretty long, over three hours, but it is worth it. It has English subtitles, unless you speak Finnish, but Finnish is not a language, it is a sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEt20DwcmQ

Well I can't say I disliked it but I am not sure it made a lot of sense to me, it is hard to get much of a clue when you just have subtitles to go off.

There is another movie which is pretty good about the Finnish war, the Unknown Soldier. this movie depicts the war between 1941-1944 when Finland tried to retake their lost territory.

Is the Nordic war a forgotten war and disappear behind the much larger battles in Europe?

There is another movie which is pretty good about the Finnish war, the Unknown Soldier. this movie depicts the war between 1941-1944 when Finland tried to retake their lost territory.

Is the Nordic war a forgotten war and disappear behind the much larger battles in Europe?

I am not sure it is a forgotten war or at least no more so than the Baltic conflicts of the 1920-1940 period or the Polish war with the Soviet Union from 1919 but I am not sure it is seem by many to be part of WW2.

That being said the Soviet losses and defeats of that period to much smaller forces probably played a major part in shaping WW2 especially the German opinion of the Soviets capacity to fight.

Back