Will the battle tank become obsolete?

About Will the battle tank become obsolete? Page 20

International Military Forums > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology Forums > Armored Military Vehicles Discussions
User Name
Password

February 9th, 2010   #191
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
Excuse me. But I still see spears, cavalry, armor, swords, shields, axes, trebuchets, balistas and catapults on the battlefield...

Sword: assault rifles
Shields: camouflage
Spears: light anti tanks weapons
Cavalry: tanks
Trebuchets: artillery
catapults: close air support
Axes: big rifles (Assault rifles with a bigger calibre)
Ballistas: rockets

Something of this kind... The concepts are the same.
You really should seek professional help then. Where was it asked about "concepts", if you start going down that road, I can link the biblical era salt trade to space exploration.

There is absolutely no comparison within the meaning of this question.

"I am totally responsible for what I write,... however I cannot be held responsible for your complete inability to understand"

Last edited by senojekips; February 9th, 2010 at 00:34..

February 9th, 2010   #192
LeMask

It's just a comparison.

If I say that Earth is like an Orange... It's not false. But it's not real.

The comparison is saying that something shares the properties of something else... Not all the properties.

I just said that I see the same concepts in these weapons and their primitive/medieval sisters.

And I think that the concepts are important. So, I somehow see swords and axes in the modern battlefield.

To explain why I say that the concepts are important, it's because I think that the battlefield is about combinations. Combined arms.

If the enemy have tanks, you use close air support or anti tank weapons.
Like we used spears to stop cavalry.

Sending light infantry against tanks is suicidal, like sending archers against heavy cavalry... etc...

I think that the relations and the combination are still here.

We are still sending infantry with the tanks like we were sending infantry with cavalry, because we know that they cant hold the ground alone...

February 9th, 2010   #193
senojekips

Well lets forget the arty crafty "concepts" and get back to the actual subject.

I was once told that stars were merely the sun shining through moth eaten holes in the night sky. Like your concepts, it's just BS and has no place in reality.

February 9th, 2010   #194
Spaniard

[qoute]I haven't seen a trebuchet, ballista or crossbow on a battlefield for some centuries. All of them were the "modern marvel" of their day. [/qoute]

Your right with time the Tank will be obsolete N.S. a relic! It could last a century.

February 9th, 2010   #195
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
Quote:
I haven't seen a trebuchet, ballista or crossbow on a battlefield for some centuries. All of them were the "modern marvel" of their day.

Your right with time the Tank will be obsolete N.S. a relic! It could last a century.
I have no doubt whatsoever that will easily see out a century, maybe two, but none of us knows what the future holds. eventually it will become just another interesting piece of military history.

February 9th, 2010   #196
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
[qoute]I haven't seen a trebuchet, ballista or crossbow on a battlefield for some centuries. All of them were the "modern marvel" of their day. [/qoute]

The tank has lasted a century.

February 10th, 2010   #197
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by FO Seaman
Not yet!

A century is only small change considering the lifetimes of many earlier weapons that have all now become military curiosities.

February 10th, 2010   #198
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FO Seaman
think about this the Trojan Horse transported men inCognito to appear and win the Battle.
How many years was that that was an early version of a APC.

I believe the Tank will evolve just like weapons reinvent themselves.

I think Hes right not yet a century, But close enough.

Well they used that armoured Subs in The War of Independence, I have seen some thing in armoured wagons and horses.

look at the Assault Rifles of WWII to now. Everything involves with time.

Hey I can build a Bow Trap with wood string and Dental floss, with a trigger wooden device. Victim activated fires two wooden Arrows.
or a swing trap. Will kill you or severely wound.

A weapon is only as effective as the Imagination of the Individual how builds and uses it effectively.

Last edited by Spaniard; February 10th, 2010 at 00:51..

February 10th, 2010   #199
Spaniard

Origin. Although Guido da Vigevano in 1300, and Leonardo da Vinci in 1500, designed armored combat vehicles, the first modern, motorized tank was invented by E. L. de la Mole of North Adelaide, Australia, in 1912. De la Mole sent his designs to the British War Office where they were filed away into bureaucratic obscurity.

Tommy invented the Tank. Working at Foster's Engineering Works in Lincoln, England, Wilson constructed the Mark 1, the first tank used in battle, and tested it in January, 1916. The Mark 1 was box-shaped, with two movable guns protruding from its sides and six machine guns. Manned by a crew of eight men, it weighed 26 tons and was driven by a six-cylinder, 105-hp engine at a maximum speed of 4 mph.

First Use. In the summer of 1916, the British offensive on the Somme was fast becoming the bloodiest and most useless battle in history. Desperate because each advance was costing him hundreds of thousands of soldiers' lives, British Gen. Sir Douglas Haig ordered the newly arrived Mark 1 tanks into battle in September, 1916. Forty-nine tanks rumbled toward the front lines, but 17 broke down along the way. The remaining 32 tanks were scattered along a 5-mi. front and, after a three-day artillery barrage, were ordered into action on Sept. 15, 1916.

February 10th, 2010   #200
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Where was it asked about "concepts", if you start going down that road, I can link the biblical era salt trade to space exploration.

That is sig-line worthy right there. LMAO

Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps
Company A, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regt, 3rd Marine Divison

We will never forget your valor and sacrifice.

Semper Fi !