Why do tanks have that upside down or sideways "V"

it means allied or coalition forces,

just another form of ID for air forces

<insert pointed jab at US air force target recognition>

I believe it started during Desert Storm because so many countries were there with us.

We actually have one HMMWV in our motor pool that still hasn't been repainted from Desert Storm and has the mark.

Couldn't tell you why the change directions, but maybe the main countries designate themselves with a certain direction.

hicks said:
Couldn't tell you why the change directions, but maybe the main countries designate themselves with a certain direction.

I don't think that's the reason. I've seen it pointing both left and right on the Challengers II, and in all directions on the Abrams.

Then it doesn't matter which direction it's facing, they are coalition forces.

More than likely, they just gave each unit a stencil and said, here, paint this on the side of your vehicles.

And thus you end up with it facing different direction.

Regardless of how much you want to dig into this, the answer has been provided.

it`s also highly visible through night vision, its basically a recognition marking.

chewie_nz said:
it means allied or coalition forces,

just another form of ID for air forces

<insert pointed jab at US air force target recognition>

Heck chewie ya got get close enough to the deck to see the target, before target recognition becomes a factor. Angels 15 ain't low enough. :lol: :p

i'd want to see the fear in their viewfinder.....

A10.jpg

Those V marking are a form of vehicle ID designed to help the friendly ground forces ID coalition vehicles. So were relfective tape, panels, and other indicators. There are other things being used to help aircraft and others distinguish friendly vehicles such as infrared emitting panels that show a distinctive signature when seen through infrared sensing devices.

Re: Why do tanks have that upside down or sideways "V&q

I think I've seen those >'s or V's on pictures of Israeli tanks aswell. Israel has never been in any coalition as far as I know, except for that time where they allied with France and the UK in an attempt to conquer the Suez canal.

Israel uses them as ID, and the facing direction of the the triangle marks either the company or platoon noumber. I think copany. Also note on the front of the Isral barrel are either three, two or one white line. This is also to know the noumber of the company or platoo(i think platoon).

attempt to conquer the Suez canal.

Free?

It began in Desert Storm I because of friendly fire incidents. Apparently a few Air Farce jockeys couldn't distinguish the profile of an M-1 from a T-72. :shock:

SHERMAN said:
Israel uses them as ID, and the facing direction of the the triangle marks either the company or platoon noumber. I think copany. Also note on the front of the Isral barrel are either three, two or one white line. This is also to know the noumber of the company or platoo(i think platoon).

I see.

attempt to conquer the Suez canal.

Let's not get biased here...Maybe it should be "attempt to take control of theSuez canal"?

bulldogg said:
Apparently a few Air Farce jockeys couldn't distinguish the profile of an M-1 from a T-72. :shock:

Haha, Air Farce. 8)

Could it have been pilots from other coalition countries who were not familiar with the M1 yet?

Just wondering, I see it on Abrams and Challengers and I want to know what it means.

CONUS US American Legion Administrative Desert Shield/Storm era confirmed inverted 'v' means 'against heaven or the creator G_d, according to Helen Stout, American Legion Post 7 Morgan McDermott. It is an easy to identify battlefield marker. It was never used prior to S/W Asia actions by the modern US Army on a widespread scale.

I never used such on any of my assigned MBT's. Target acquisition is reportedly aided by 'chill spots' or AFV visual cues seen only by apparent thermal or radioactive-armor signature. The latter are self-homing UAV, UCAV, UCAS death-traps.

Last edited:
Back