why does everyone disrespect the Coast Guard?

KAOS

this is a question asked by my friends son who wants to join. i told him its because nobody knows what the CG really does. i would like all opinions please.:sniper:

this is a question asked by my friends son who wants to join. i told him its because nobody knows what the CG really does. i would like all opinions please.:sniper:

I love the CG, went out on one of their cutters twice, got to see their and rescue swimmers in action, plus they keep the Savannah river locked tight for when military gear from the Middle East comes home.

I know a guy I went to school with, got a scholarship to the CG academy, as well as the I girl I took the ball last year joined, even had a criminal justice instructor who was in, they are no slouches, especially these days, you gotta have some serious brains to get in.

In 1972 (back in the dark ages) I had occassion to attend a fire fighting and damage control course at Treasure Island with 20 or so Coast Guard sailors. I did notice that the USN blokes were somewhat clannish towards them, but my own personal experience was that they were every bit as good at their jobs as anyone else on course.

In fact I would go so far as to say that I think they took their responsibilities a little more seriously than many of us RAN and USN "blue water" sailors. They certainly made great class mates and I would be more than willing to accept them as equals.

Last edited:

I would say its because the rest of the military sees the CG as not participating in battle. They are seen more as a American ocean police force. I have no disrespect for the guys, they swore their allegiance just like I did.

Last edited:
I would say its because the rest of the military sees the CG as not paticipating in battle. They are seen more as a American ocean police force. I have no disrespect for the guys, they swore their allegiance just like I did.

Although I don't serve, I suspected that this was the answer. Regrettably its a wrong sentiment. The Coast Guard had a significantly role in WWII and was credited for sinking several U-Boats off US waters during Operation Drumbeat. It also is responsible for saving the lives of the shipwrecked both in war and in peace.

And the CG fights in the war against terror and also in the war against traffickers of all types (Drugs, Weapons, Humans, smuggled goods, etc.)

So I agree, same army, used for a slightly different purpose.

The USCG has a very important role during war and peace alike. Anyone that thinks different has no concept of what they're talking about.
When there is a terrorists plot involving the ports, where is the USMC? Army? USAF? Navy? Who knows, but the USCG is right there stopping it. When there is a collision along any of the US coastlines, where is the USMC? Army? USAF? Navy? I dunno, but I know where the USCG is. They're right there. Doing what they do best- protecting America and saving lives.

Your right about that, they have somewhat a very dynamic and broad role to play in U.S. security, you can occasionally spot an article in All Hands or Navy times about USCG protecting ABOT or patrolling the Persian Gulf, they operate around the world just as the DOD branches do. From Alaska to training missions with CGs and Naval units in South America.

Even send vessels and personnel on training missions with countries in Europe. USCG makes certain that tax payers money isn't put to waste and our nation's security and safety on our coastal water ways in very well granted.

Not to mention that all sea going vessels in some form have to register with the USCG, and they track stolen vessels and help recover them if possible if they are still in U.S. waters, and if not if the vessel is recovered in foreign waters, the CG will try to make the hand off.

Never have heard of anybody disrespecting the coast guard, not in the US, not in Europe. Even peacenicks hail them.

Want to get all the cool chicks? Coast Guard or SAR is the way (beprepared to spend long hours in the gym).

Rattler

No disrespect from me.
There were some coasties in VN.
I ran into a goup of them in DC a few years ago.
I believe one was about to recieve a belated Navy Cross.

Back