Why did Japan attack the US?

Yet Japan had no plans for or designs on Australia or India two huge mineral rich nations within the Asian region.

Had they genuinely hell bent on conquest for conquests sake these were two countries they could not ignore.

Yet Japan had no plans for or designs on Australia or India two huge mineral rich nations within the Asian region.

Had they genuinely hell bent on conquest for conquests sake these were two countries they could not ignore.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement, as far as I am aware Japan had designs on both India and Australia.

Yet I have never seen or heard of any concrete plans to attack either with the view to conquer, not even something as silly as Sealion has surfaced since the war.

There was a proposal by the Japanese navy in 1942 but the Army opposed it because of Australia's size and geography they regarded it as unfeasible.

From Wiki (sorry about the source but it was the fastest data I could find):
The possibility of invading Australia was discussed by the Japanese Army and Navy on several occasions in February 1942. On 6 February the Navy Ministry formally proposed a plan in which eastern Australia would be invaded at the same time other Japanese forces captured Fiji, Samoa, and New Caledonia, and this was again rejected by the Army.

On 14 February, the day before Singapore was captured, the Army and Navy sections of the Imperial General Headquarters again discussed invading Australia and during this discussion Captain Tomioka argued that it would be possible to take Australia with a "token force". This statement was labelled "so much gibberish" in the Imperial General Headquarters' secret diary. General Tomoyuki Yamashita:
He said that after he had taken Singapore, he wanted to discuss with Tojo a plan for the invasion of Australia... Tojo turned down the plan, making the excuse of lengthened supply lines, which would be precarious and open to enemy attack...
The dispute between the Army and Navy was settled in late February with a decision to isolate rather than invade Australia.
I think even the Japanese realised they were too big for a country the size of Japan to handle.

Last edited:
@lljadw

NO: (I figured I'd take a page out of your stylebook here.) All you are doing is restating the standard answer for why Japan attacked the US. You are not answering my points.

Your first statement says that Japan had to attack Britain because they had to attack America. Well, uh, okay. But that has nothing to do with why they had to attack America to begin with.

Next you note that China had remained a thorn in the side of Japan. Fine. But the Chinese were incapable of winning battles, their commanders were akin to Afghan tribal leader-commanders today, their men ran at the first sign of trouble, success only measured by the limitation of Japan's ability to supply it's army. Some success did come from the communists, but only as guerrilla fighters.

The Japanese took almost the entire East Asian continent in--what--five months? I can't see them having a problem with pushing a front along the coast down to French Indonesia to provide an overland route to its conquered territories without provoking a war with America. For God's sake--as I stated previously--the Japanese were able to push the very same route through in 1945 even after they had been bled dry fighting in the Pacific.

You still fail to grasp the essential:Japan was saddled up with a war in China,which it could not continue.Giving up was no option (those who talked of withdrawal were killed by army commandos).The war would only end if China would give up .And in their desperation,the Japanese thought that China would give up if the US were expelled from South East Asia and from the Pacific .Thus Japan decided to increase the stakes .Besides there was the "little " point that from the Japanese POV the US embargo would prevent Japan from continuing the war in China and would send Japan back to the 19 century :to the years when commodore Perry was sailing in the bay of Tokyo . Something that no one in Japan was willing to accept .

As I already said : it was bowing of fighting as a Samurai .

Japan was economically in a dead end :

in 1940 the Japanese GDP was 14.6 billions of $ and it spent 3.1 billions on the military.The US GDP was 104 billions of $ and they spent 2.2 billions on defence .

It was even questionable that even without the US embargo Japan could economically continue the war in China .

You still fail to grasp the essential:Japan was saddled up with a war in China,which it could not continue.Giving up was no option (those who talked of withdrawal were killed by army commandos).The war would only end if China would give up .And in their desperation,the Japanese thought that China would give up if the US were expelled from South East Asia and from the Pacific .Thus Japan decided to increase the stakes .Besides there was the "little " point that from the Japanese POV the US embargo would prevent Japan from continuing the war in China and would send Japan back to the 19 century :to the years when commodore Perry was sailing in the bay of Tokyo . Something that no one in Japan was willing to accept .

As I already said : it was bowing of fighting as a Samurai .

Chiang Kai-shek had no intention of giving up China regardless of what happened elsewhere in the Pacific or East Asia. He was bound and determined to hang onto power no matter what and was a skilled machivellian dictator -politican who drove his American allies nuts. The trouble with China was even after Japan occupied most of the key ports and cities there was just to much territory left over for the Japanese to conquer and fight the US and our allies at the same time. They became stretched to thin.

Last edited:
Chiang Kai-shek had no intention of giving up China regardless of what happened elsewhere in the Pacific or East Asia. He was bound and determined to hang onto power no matter what and was a skilled machivellian dictator -politican who drove his American allies nuts. The trouble with China was even after Japan occupied most of the key ports and cities there was just to much territory left over for the Japanese to conquer and fight the US and our allies at the same time. They became stretched to thin.

And while the war progressed without a final conclusion in the Japanese favor, the Japanese forces had a problem to reinforce islands and areas under attack by the allied forces. A huge part of the Japanese ground forces were still intact when the war ended in 1945. These forces were stuck in the Asian mainland.

BTW on a related thought yesterday was VJ day, thus officially ending WW2 and the Imperial empire of Japan.
On September 2, 1945, a formal surrender ceremony was held in Tokyo Bay aboard the USS Missouri. At the time, President Truman declared September 2 to be VJ day.

@lljadw

If one more person repeats the standard answer for the war without addressing my points, I'm going to gack myself and all you'll see are my feet dangling in front of the monitor camera.

Perhaps the standard answers are solid answers. Tell me what is it that you are looking for? I'm not going to go to the trouble of repeating myself again about why the Pearl Harbor attack occurred. BTW address the forum. If you want to address a particular post use the quote function.

@lljadw

If one more person repeats the standard answer for the war without addressing my points, I'm going to gack myself and all you'll see are my feet dangling in front of the monitor camera.

You have no points : you are only repeating : I do not believe the Japanese reasons .Something which is totally irrelevant : nobody gives a damn about what you believe or not .The point is what the Japanese believed and why they started the war,that they were wrong or not ,is totally irrelevant .

The OP is : WHY DID JAPAN ATTACK THE USA.

@lljadw

Because people, as well as governments make mistakes and miscalculations all the time. The same could be asked of why the heck Germany attacked Russia if they knew how absolutely daunting it would have been to achieve even a marginal victory, particularly on the timelines they expected and needed in order to win.

I would say it is a combination of many of the points addressed on here but at the same time, they didn't have access to the information and consequences of this information at the time that they attacked. As long as humans are involved in an equation dealing with a forecast of things to come, errors will be made. I'm sure hubris factored into the equation, along with the fact that they had a large hammer to solve a diplomatic problem...big surprise they used it. Finally, as a student of history, I have realized that people, groups of people, and organizations large and small often don't take the most rational course of action in dealing with a problem, perceived or otherwise. Sometimes they take an absolutely contrary position to rationality in dealing with a problem.

We can also never forget the fact that many times, people are just incompetent. Always remember that it is easy to confuse incompetence for malice because the results of both often mirror one another.

Perhaps the standard answers are solid answers. Tell me what is it that you are looking for? I'm not going to go to the trouble of repeating myself again about why the Pearl Harbor attack occurred. BTW address the forum. If you want to address a particular post use the quote function.

Has anybody read a word I've written? If the generally accepted answer to a question is X and then somebody comes along and gives his reasons for why he thinks X is incorrect/incomplete, what that person doesn't expect is for people to come along and repeat X (in 847 different ways) without once mentioning, refuting, or weighing the reasons stated by that person for why he has a problem with X being an accurate explanation.

(I'm on the 13th knot as I write.)

Because people, as well as governments make mistakes and miscalculations all the time. The same could be asked of why the heck Germany attacked Russia if they knew how absolutely daunting it would have been to achieve even a marginal victory, particularly on the timelines they expected and needed in order to win.

I would say it is a combination of many of the points addressed on here but at the same time, they didn't have access to the information and consequences of this information at the time that they attacked. As long as humans are involved in an equation dealing with a forecast of things to come, errors will be made. I'm sure hubris factored into the equation, along with the fact that they had a large hammer to solve a diplomatic problem...big surprise they used it. Finally, as a student of history, I have realized that people, groups of people, and organizations large and small often don't take the most rational course of action in dealing with a problem, perceived or otherwise. Sometimes they take an absolutely contrary position to rationality in dealing with a problem.

We can also never forget the fact that many times, people are just incompetent. Always remember that it is easy to confuse incompetence for malice because the results of both often mirror one another.

It's really not so complex. Japan wanted to expand the empire and wanted resources: oil, rubber, tin, etc., without depending on the US. The Japanese military leadership either believed or fooled themselves into believing that if the US Pacific fleet was wiped out at Pearl Harbor (which it wasn't, not the carriers) that we would sue for - pursue for peace. They had deluded themselves. That is except for Admiral Yamamoto.

Has anybody read a word I've written? If the generally accepted answer to a question is X and then somebody comes along and gives his reasons for why he thinks X is incorrect/incomplete, what that person doesn't expect is for people to come along and repeat X (in 847 different ways) without once mentioning, refuting, or weighing the reasons stated by that person for why he has a problem with X being an accurate explanation.

Keith it just doesn't seem to be so complex (to me). I've studied WW2 for some time and had plenty of relatives who took part in WW2. The forum is a place where we exchange points of view and insights (not always) on military related topics. Why not make a post greatly simplifying your perspective and leave it at that? In the end that's all one can do anyways. I really don't understand this post, but don't let others posts or lack of posting upset you.

Last edited:

Maybe you can't ask questions. Maybe your answer for why the Japs attacked is wrong. When a government in the past and current are making a decision, they are usually following a causal reasoning for why they are acting in a certain way. However, the response to the actions by any government is uncertain. Another approach is to use the old prisoners dilemma, in the modern application of it is called the game theory. You act, I respond to your action and you respond to my actions etc etc. The tricky part of governance is to predict how the opponent will react to your actions

Thanks, brinktk for the first answer that addresses the original question!!!! We're 56 responses in, and someone finally figured it out! Your answer is neither correct nor incorrect, nor do I state that I agree or disagree with it, but it FINALLY addresses my question and provides food for thought. Thank you again.

It's really not so complex. Japan wanted to expand the empire and wanted resources: oil, rubber, tin, etc., without depending on the US. The Japanese military leadership either believed or fooled themselves into believing that if the US Pacific fleet was wiped out at Pearl Harbor (which it wasn't, not the carriers) that we would sue for - pursue for peace. They had deluded themselves. That is except for Admiral Yamamoto.

I think it was complex...far more complex than probably any of us can truly understand. Black and white is a tool for propaganda and public schools (<<<kidding...kind of) Life is nothing but shades of grey. At least that is how I see it.

I think it was complex...far more complex than probably any of us can truly understand. Black and white is a tool for propaganda and public schools (<<<kidding...kind of) Life is nothing but shades of grey. At least that is how I see it.

Although their are absolutes such as in some cases of right and wrong. I would agree with you on this. We often get the partial viewpoint and not the total viewpoint which is difficult to achieve since historians and military leaders often conflict with one another.

The recent tread involving the defeat of Germany was a good example. Some say Germany by moving east while leaving Britain undefeated lost the war, others put the date over 2 years later at the German defeat at Kursk. In between are a host of other critical points in the war on the eastern front that are claimed to be the death kneel of Germany. The Historians have widely varying opinions on this and data from the old USSR can be sketchy.

Last edited:
Back