Whoo-ah. -

Topic about: I would like to have some explanations about the various ' Whooah ' - ' Ooh-ah ' from Navy, Army, or AirForce. I mean US military. Anybody got the meaning of my twisted q

International Military Forums > > >
User Name
Password

June 1st, 2004  
Italian Guy

Whoo-ah. info

I would like to have some explanations about the various ' Whooah ' - ' Ooh-ah ' from Navy, Army, or AirForce. I mean US military. Anybody got the meaning of my twisted question ? Thanks.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it".
Pericles.

June 1st, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

All they are are just battle crys. I only know a theory about the Marine Corps OOORAH. Some beleive it came from the Continital Maries battle cry of oozah. (how i dont know)

WOLFPACK!
The Devil wanted a refund on my soul; I told him all sales final.

June 1st, 2004  
AFSteliga

US Army says 'HOO-AH', but I don't really know why. Probably just something for morale.

Per ardua ad astra

June 1st, 2004  
Redneck

I'm not saying this is the one true story of the origin but it is pretty interesting:

http://www.montney.com/marine/oorah.htm

About the use of hooah, there's the old line that "hooah can mean anything except 'no.'"

No boom, no boom, no boom, Amen.

June 1st, 2004  
Redleg

Artillery uses AHOA!

It's supposed to be AOA (Artillery Over All), but it's pronounced and sounds like AHOA!

June 1st, 2004  
Desert Blossom

I remember in basic they had us saying "hooah" although I have no idea as to why...I do recall having to say "airpower" as well....

June 2nd, 2004  
Pogue

Hooah was derived from the acronym HUA - Heard, Understood, Acknowledged. It grew to have many more meanings (**** off, shut up, go away, etc. )

June 2nd, 2004  
Snauhi

its like Russian URAAAAAA

June 2nd, 2004  
Marksman

Quote:
Its like"uraaaaaaaaaa za staljina"kind of way,but when you speak HOORAH and URAAA it sound the same

June 2nd, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
Quote:
Its like"uraaaaaaaaaa za staljina"kind of way,but when you speak HOORAH and URAAA it sound the same
Doesn't that mean something like "Live Stalin" ??
It was a Russian battlecry in WW2..