Whoo-ah. -

International Military Forums > > >
User Name
Password

June 1st, 2004   #1
Italian Guy

Whoo-ah. info

I would like to have some explanations about the various ' Whooah ' - ' Ooh-ah ' from Navy, Army, or AirForce. I mean US military. Anybody got the meaning of my twisted question ? Thanks.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it".
Pericles.

--
June 1st, 2004   #2
C/2nd Lt Robot

All they are are just battle crys. I only know a theory about the Marine Corps OOORAH. Some beleive it came from the Continital Maries battle cry of oozah. (how i dont know)

WOLFPACK!
The Devil wanted a refund on my soul; I told him all sales final.

June 1st, 2004   #3
AFSteliga

US Army says 'HOO-AH', but I don't really know why. Probably just something for morale.

MCpl K. Steliga
Flight Advisor
408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron / Military Flight Advisory Unit
CFB Edmonton, Alberta
Royal Canadian Air Force

Per ardua ad astra

June 1st, 2004   #4
Redneck

I'm not saying this is the one true story of the origin but it is pretty interesting:

http://www.montney.com/marine/oorah.htm

About the use of hooah, there's the old line that "hooah can mean anything except 'no.'"

No boom, no boom, no boom, Amen.

June 1st, 2004   #5
Redleg

Artillery uses AHOA!

It's supposed to be AOA (Artillery Over All), but it's pronounced and sounds like AHOA!

June 1st, 2004   #6
Desert Blossom

I remember in basic they had us saying "hooah" although I have no idea as to why...I do recall having to say "airpower" as well....

June 2nd, 2004   #7
Pogue

Hooah was derived from the acronym HUA - Heard, Understood, Acknowledged. It grew to have many more meanings (**** off, shut up, go away, etc. )

June 2nd, 2004   #8
Snauhi

its like Russian URAAAAAA

June 2nd, 2004   #9
Marksman

Quote:
Its like"uraaaaaaaaaa za staljina"kind of way,but when you speak HOORAH and URAAA it sound the same

June 2nd, 2004   #10
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
Quote:
Its like"uraaaaaaaaaa za staljina"kind of way,but when you speak HOORAH and URAAA it sound the same
Doesn't that mean something like "Live Stalin" ??
It was a Russian battlecry in WW2..

Tags
airforce, meaning, military, question, twisted