when i go to my recruiter...?

kwdkool

ok so i have smoked marijuana recently and have ABSOLUTELY no intentions of continuing to smoke anymore. my question is should i wait until i am clean before i go in to talk to recruiters or just go ahead and tell them the situation. i am going to a marine and navy recruiter if that makes a difference. i really dont want to screw this up. any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

and heres a tip for you: why dont you read what i just typed and give some helpful advice instead of criticizing people. it doesnt get you or me anywhere.

see, your an "admin" or whatever you want to call yourself and your doing the same thing. your missing the point here. im not smoking dope anymore because i know its bad and am trying to turn my life around. i would just like some advice as to whether i should explain to my recruiter that im not clean right now and maybe he can work with me, or just wait to talk to them when i am clean. i would still greatly appreciate any helpful advice though and i do respect what you guys are saying to me it just isnt helpful. thanks

Officially you can not join if you have done illegal drugs.
To answer your question, they are not going to drug test you; at least they did not to me, but if you look like a druggy who knows.

But they will ask you, "When was the last time you smoked pot?"

Oh and they are not criticizing you, just offering advice
here's mine: it was stupid to use marijuana..you just closed quite a few possibilities/opportunities that you could have had.

EDIT:
They may have allowed it in the past with waivers or let it fly, but the navy is currently at 170% capacity, not sure about marines, but they don't need people who do drugs.

Last edited:
indeed, i am not critizing you. most employers will not accept you if they know you have a history of drug abuse and a lot of them take drug tests + its bad for you overall. so my point still stands : dont do drugs.

LAUGHING HYSTERICALY!!!

My CSM would LOVE to talk to you. He will call you a terrorist.

Get clean, sign up, stay clean. Or dont and bear the consequences, your choice.

haha well i can assure you i am no terrorist. but thank you! that is the most helpful advice i have received thus far.

You're going to need some sobriety under your belt before any recruiter will touch you, bro. I'm a recovering alcoholic, so I do not judge that you toked a few here and there. But the recruiter WILL.

Usually, they want at LEAST 2 years clean. That may have changed, or it may not have, and it is probably different with every branch. But if I were you, I would call them and ask them - they won't know who you are if you don't offer it.

"Hi, my name is kwdkool, and I am interested in signing up. However, I have recently smoked marijuana and wanted to speak with you about the military policy of enlistment given my circumstances..."

Honesty is your best friend right now, as fraudulent enlistment is NOT a road you want to trek down.

Give yourself some clean time, call them, divulge no information other than what you MUST provide (first name, etc) and learn what they want. Since the needs of the military are constantly changing, so too do the requirements to enlist. Only a recruiter can tell you honestly where you stand.

Thank you for wanting to serve, and my best wishes to you, sir. Stay clean, and keep on keepin' on. You'll get there if you want to.

I recently enlisted in the Marine Corps DEP, and told them I'd smoked weed a few months ago. They want a specific number, and when the last time was. A waiver is required, but not a problem to get. Just come clean to the recruiter, they'll want to make mission and getting you to boot is their ultimate goal.

That being said, be careful. Doesn't matter to them if you're in the last week of boot camp and you get DQ'd for fraudulent enlistment. They made mission by getting you to MCRD, and are no longer their problem. If you have anything anywhere in writing on any of your records, come clean at MEPS and there won't be a problem.

look its easy just wait and after 3 or 4 months visit the recuiter then you can tell the recruiter this "i smoked it about 4 months ago but it was mostly peer pressure and i vowed never to do it again and i want to better myself and i felt stupid doing and blah blah" there you go easy

If you're truely serious about giving the stuff up, just wait a few months for it to be out of your system before going to the recruiter. If they ask about your using history, tell them you had in the past when you were younger but you gave it up.
It's not really that big of an issue unless you pop positive on a test. Then you have an issue.

All you need to do is quit for a month or 2 prior to getting to MEPS. Never tell anybody that you have ever did drugs and your good to go. It really is that simple. Don't over complicate the matter.

All you need to do is quit for a month or 2 prior to getting to MEPS. Never tell anybody that you have ever did drugs and your good to go. It really is that simple. Don't over complicate the matter.

This is by far the best option. I know a guy who "came clean" and told them he used to smoke. Sure he got in, but when he went to drop a packet to be a flight warrant his admission to using drugs served as a basis for his packet being denied. If you plan on spending your whole time in the military as a mud cruncher, then tell them whatever you want. If you plan on doing something that needs high clearances, you may just want to leave that in your past and forget about it.

By far the best advice.
Just make a lot of friends while you're in incase they find out the truth. They'll find buddies who can hook you up for various military contracting jobs (don't just think of Blackwater, there are countless fields that are military contractors that don't go anywhere near firearms which tend to be more stable).

I would like to join the Marines. I have wanted to all my live. It is a dream of mine. I have a problem though, I went to talk to a recruiter and took the ASVAB and passed that. Was getting ready to set up the pt test, but the gunny told me to come talk to him. he was looking through my records and found two words the disqualifies me to join any of the military branches. The words Domestic Violence. But the problem I am having is I wasnt charged with domestic violence, I was charged with assault. If you look at my record, in the dockets part all it says about DV is I was told to do a 24 week DV intervention class, and thats it. I have tried to get the words changed a few times now but they keep saying no. My probation just ended as of august 24, 09. Does anyone have any idea on if it is even possible for me to join? Like i said it is my dream and Id do pretty much anything to make it happen... THANKS

I would like to join the Marines. I have wanted to all my live. It is a dream of mine. I have a problem though, I went to talk to a recruiter and took the ASVAB and passed that. Was getting ready to set up the pt test, but the gunny told me to come talk to him. he was looking through my records and found two words the disqualifies me to join any of the military branches. The words Domestic Violence. But the problem I am having is I wasnt charged with domestic violence, I was charged with assault. If you look at my record, in the dockets part all it says about DV is I was told to do a 24 week DV intervention class, and thats it. I have tried to get the words changed a few times now but they keep saying no. My probation just ended as of august 24, 09. Does anyone have any idea on if it is even possible for me to join? Like i said it is my dream and Id do pretty much anything to make it happen... THANKS

In most states, assaults (and the like) are attached to DV, with DV being the charge for the reason of assault. If you live with a partner, male or female, involved or not, and an altercation (including yelling that can be heard outside the front door) occurs, you have in fact broken the DV law.

My DV, for instance, says "fighting." I was arrested for yelling - no hitting or threats of any type. Of course, my b-ch of an ex was a cop, so she wiggled her bum and the SWAT team came-a-runnin'. But that shows you how silly the laws are now, where a man cannot even yell in his own house without becoming an instant criminal.

The problem with DV isn't the charge itself, but The Lautenberg Act - compliments of your closest liberal. That law basically states that a DV conviction forbids you to ever have a job where carrying a weapon is a part of the description. Yes, that includes the military. Yes, it is stupid.

Is there a waiver for it? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. The liberals here have all-but assured all the sheep of the country that you are a worthless POS that can never be trusted again. Unfortunately, the military is powerless to grant exceptions to federal laws, and thus is that is this.

I'm sorry, bro. I've no doubt that you deserve at least a chance, but it is what it is. You'd have been better off being arrested for a felony, as there are waivers for those constantly given. But DV is its own little thing in its own little world in the minds of those living in their own little minds.

Keep bugging the recruiters and keep going to new ones until you get too weary to keep going or until you fing one that wants you bad enough to pull strings. Wish I had better advice than that, but it is all I can think of.

Back