Whats your favorite War or Peace related Item of scripture?

Mark Conley

Hey Guys...

Everyone has a favorite item of scripture that deals with war or peace...right? (Well, maybee... :D )

Lets see what you got. Can be from any type of scripture...take your pick!

My favorite one for war is..Psalm 144; V1 Blessed be God my Rock, who traineth my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; 2 My loving kindness, and my fortress, my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and He in whom I take refuge; who subdueth my people under me.

My Favorite for peace is; They shall make their swords into plowshares and study war no more...

Heres to the plows.... :D

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children (sons) of God.
- Matthew 5:9

I don't have a favorite, but I saw this one a lot when I worked with the UN abroad. (Lebanon and Macedonia)
UN soldiers are called PeaceKeepers, so "Blessed are the PeaceKeepers...." was/is also used.. :D

Man it is really sad that there isn't more replies to this topic. Anyway a few of my favorites are:
let's see anything from psalm 109 is really good. There are also a lot of good things in psalm 119, like Your command makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is always with me. (119:98) You are my shelter and my shield; I put my hope in your word. (119:114) Defend my cause, and redeem me, give me life as you have promised. (119:154) Lord God, my strong Savior, you shield my head on the day of battle. (140:7)
The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are protected. (proverbs 18:10)
Ecclesiates chapter three verses one through eight are good. Those are the time for everything verses.

I love what I have nicknamed the "liberty verses", verses that show how the Lord wants mankind to live free from tyranny and oppression.
Isaiah 61: 1-3
Luke 4:18-19 The spirit of the Lord is upon me because He has anointed Me, to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim freedom to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed and to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which
Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled
again with a yoke of bondage.

These next two are also classics.

Matthew 20:28 "Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life- a ransom for many."
John 15:12-13 My command to you is this, love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

There are so many more I could add, but these are enough for right :D now. :D :D

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee." Joshua 1:9

Various wordings in different bibles, but the meaning of the verse stays the same .. even though I'm Catholic, I find the King James Version has the most eloquent wording for this particular verse.

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? Who will
go for us?" "Here I am," I said; "send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Psalm 23:4 - Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

the "blessed are the peacemakers one is awesome

"If God be for us, who can be against us" from Romans

I usually sign in forums with:

Deus nobiscum, quis contra

Same basic meaning. I added it to my website links page near the end - the main God related quote on my business website.

I just found this one this week.
The Lord goes out to fight like a warrior, he is ready and eager for battle. He gives a war cry, a battle shout; he shows his power against his enemies. Issaiah 42:13

Isaiah 6:8 the one that Rnder pointed out, i always loved that one.
and there was another one i also really loved

Psalm 23
1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever

"Throw off this ignoble discouragement and arise like a fire that burns all before it."

Lord Krishna to the warrior Prince Arjuna on the eve of battle.

Bhagavad Gita (Sanskrit for "Celestial Song")

The "William McBride" song/peom.

"Ah the sun's shining now on these green fields of France
The warm winds blow gently and the red poppies dance
The trenches have vanished under the plough
No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now
But here in the graveyard it's still No-Man's Land
The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
To Man's blind indifference to his fellow-man
To a whole generation who were butchered and damned"

Truely moveing....

Another good one from The Bible:

I have fought a good fight
I have finished my course
I have kept the faith.

-- Timothy 2:4:7

"Some trust in chariots, and some in horses;
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7

"A mighty man is not delivered by great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for safety;
Neither shall it deliver any by its great strength.
Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him,
On those who hope in His mercy...." Psalm 33:16-18

"I will not trust in my bow, nor shall my sword save me.
But You have saved us from our enemies....
In God we boast all day long, and praise Your name forever." Psalm 44:6-8

35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."[c] 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[d] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8: 35-40

I have found no greater comfort when dealing with a soldier's death than Isiah 57: 1-2

Also I wanted to drop a reference or two.
What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? That was Romans 8:31

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?
That is also Mark 8:36 but I'm sure ur reference is about the same too.

Hey does anyone know the verse maybe in corinthians about sharing your brothers load? I want to find it.

The pagans all encompassed me
they encompassed me about like bees
in the Lord's name I crushed them

Psalm 118

devilwasp said:
The "William McBride" song/peom.

"Ah the sun's shining now on these green fields of France
The warm winds blow gently and the red poppies dance
The trenches have vanished under the plough
No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now
But here in the graveyard it's still No-Man's Land
The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
To Man's blind indifference to his fellow-man
To a whole generation who were butchered and damned"

Truely moveing....
That's "The Green Fields of France" by Dropkick Murphys

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw