Whats the biggest gun that you ever used??

AussieNick said:
I guess you used that a fair few years ago if you still call it the XM203.
Yep, back in 'Nam, in the late 60's. It was the under slung model that attached to my M-16.

CHEVY_ROCKS!!! said:
:sniper: i shot this one.
spr7.jpg

That looks like fun! Did the earth move???;

Dean.

ACTaFOOL82 said:
Double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. pulled both triggers, almost fell... but that cactus knew who was boss.

I went too alabama and got too go in the turret of a 16 inch deck gun. on the U.S.S Yorktown < I think that was the name. :cowb:

I doubt that. The Yorktown was an Aircraft Carrier that sank during the Battle of Midway. There were other Yorktowns, but none of them had 16 inchers. (They must make a big kaboom!)

Dean.

Artillery? Does it count?

The only big gun I shot was a sniper rifle by the H&K company. not sure about the model.

The biggest thing I shot was a 7,62mm Fal,
But then my experience with guns is limited to the Fal, shotgun, AR-15, Glock, .22 carbine and a few other hand guns.
It's difficult to get your hands on big guns in the Netherlands.

The biggest gun I've ever pulled the lanyard on personally was an M110 8" self-propelled Howitzer.

Gee having spent a lifetime in artillery, you'd think I might have known that. What's your point?

Militarily speaking, a "gun" is a crew served weapon. That means it takes more than one person to put it in action. Thus, rifles and pistols are not "guns".

And now, boys and girls, you understand the meaning behind the old gag, "This is my rifle and this is my gun, this is for fighting and this is for fun". The "gun" in that lymric being the male appendage and unless you wanna go blind or have hair on your palms like your mom tells ya, it takes more than one person to fire that gun too.

Charge 7 said:
Militarily speaking, a "gun" is a crew served weapon. That means it takes more than one person to put it in action. Thus, rifles and pistols are not "guns".

And now, boys and girls, you understand the meaning behind the old gag, "This is my rifle and this is my gun, this is for fighting and this is for fun". The "gun" in that lymric being the male appendage and unless you wanna go blind or have hair on your palms like your mom tells ya, it takes more than one person to fire that gun too.

Ahem, I am loathe to even bring this up to an old artillery man but my son insisted Charge... ;) He asks if water cannons fall under that catagory too as he is able to shoot his at will with no assistance and so far no hair on the palms.
:angel:

Charge 7 said:

A rifle differs from a gun in 2 respects. First of all, a rifle is usually (but not always) a direct fire weapon that fires a projectile on a relatively flat trajectory. This is achieved as a direct result of the 2nd difference: the ratio of the barrel length to the calibre of the weapon. If it exceeds a certain ratio (which I have forgotten and cannot find at the moment) it is a rifle, and as a result, the 16 inch battleship guns and their smaller cousins are actually rifles. In fact, many sources call the armament of battleships 14 inch rifles, and technically, they are correct. Other rifles include anti-aircraft artillery, tank guns, anti tank guns, etc

Howitzers are not rifles even though their barrel length is increasing (42 calibres in the case of the latest 155mm howitzers, iirc) due to the fact that their trajectory is anything but flat, howitzers are designed to drop a round vertically or as close to vertically as possible.
Hope this helps.

Dean.

H.E. Quick Charge 7.... LOAD!

Last edited:
Dean, I assume you meant that post for zander as again, I'll point out that as I've spent decades in artillery, I know all that.

bulldogg, yeah they call them water "cannons" and there are shot "guns". Neither of those were named by the military, and as I said, "Militarily speaking...."

Now this cannon, persay (IG), is fired by my two month old at diaper changes... does that make a difference?
:)

bulldogg said:
Now this cannon, persay (IG), is fired by my two month old at diaper changes... does that make a difference?
:)

only to he or she who receives the round...

Dean.

Back