What is your opinion on College?

• It's a great place to learn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's an over glorified social club

• Who needs college!!!

• I am there to get my degree (a piece of paper that allows me to earn more money)

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

Once upon a time, I thought college was this elite institution of learning. After 4 years of active duty, I found college to be more of a disappointment. Yes I did learn a lot, but I saw people make complete fools of themselves. People would skip classes, socialize (party) too much and make getting an education a last priority.

I am not knocking the top private colleges. Those schools still have standards. I went to Penn State, a top business school, and was not impressed. I was so unimpressed that I have decided to get my degree thru the online courses offered by the Army. Who needs to spend $50,000 just to party and learn a little.

So I must ask everyone here...

I have been thoroughly disappointed with my college experience, it pretty much follows the same description as yours, Doody, and I really do not feel that I have learned much there that I could not learn elsewhere for free, and it has definitely not made me a better person. To be honest though, I went to college with the wrong attitude, I made a promise to my father that I would get my degree before I joined the Army, and looked at my schooling as just a necessary hassle to get through rather than the opportunity to learn and have new experiences that it was.

A lot of hype.

However, I took it as a chance to study what I'd never normally study. My degree is in English (Lit Criticism, not to be a teacher). I was genuinely impressed with my professors. I went to a smaller school, though not small (14,000). I only had one (1) professor that did not have a Ph.D. That was for a Theatre class (Ph.D.s are rare in that field). No TAs, no grad students.

No, not using my degree in my field. It did allow me to get into the system as a welfare worker (all they wanted was a pulse and a degree). From that point, it's a matter of selling yourself to the next position.

Overall? It's like a lot in life. You can get out what you put in. You can look around the student body and be completely shocked at the, ahem, breadth of intelligence. Of course, the free market has a funny way of sharpening the skills needed to survive.

I'm gonna go to college for teh second and the last reason. For the experience of college and to get more money in the business world.

I like the College experience so far. Since I'm here at a Military College, the people that're here, actually want to be here. If they didn't, they wouldn't have even applied for the place and went to a Civilian University.

Well i was very pleased with my collage and i got a real education, not just teoratical. But college here is called "Gymnasium".

Back