what is this

dakotajoe

I found a practice bomb in an old barn and not sure exactly what it is. It is a mm106 model1. Does anybody know. Anything about this?

I found a practice bomb in an old barn and not sure exactly what it is. It is a mm106 model1. Does anybody know. Anything about this?

A rather odd size sounds like a Model 40 recoilless rifle round to me which were 105mm not 106mm but they were called 106mm to avoid confusion with the earlier M27 rifle which by all accounts was a failure.

But maybe I have the wrong end of the stick on this one.

If you found it in America it is very likely to be the projectile of a M67 106mm Recoilless Rifle, in Britain it would likely be a Wombat RR.
However, most likely a M67, those were the most common 106mm.

Hope this helps! If you could upload a picture it would also help.

EDIT: Wombat was a 120mm, not a 106mm, so it probably was a M67 106mm
Portable M67:
300px-M67_recoilless_rifle_01.jpg

M67's were commonly mounted on M113's and M151 Mutts (Jeeps) to provide a mobile and cheap AT platform. These weapons were very common, found in most NATO (and BLUFOR) nations that did not produce their own original Recoilless Rifle systems, such as Canada and Japan.
tumblr_mkysuyl3G11qfo1wqo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Odd I thought the M67 was a 90mm round not a 105mm which is why I went with the M47 which was a 105mm unit.

We had the Wombat and the Mobat. The Wombat was mounted on a vehicle, usually a Land Rover, the Mobat was wheeled. Both were 120mm

And like most recoiless AT weapons an impressive back blast that you could use to instantly toast any marsh mellows you had kicking around.
Wombat was 120mm 4.7 and was a fairly decent AT rifle until guided systems were introduced like Milan and the Carl Gustav 84mm anti tank rifle. ( a very impressive updated version still in use, it's a pity it wasn't that ally in the 70's-80's )
I remember seeing some land rover mounted wombats in Berlin in the mid 80's long after they had been replaced by Milan. I believe it had something to do with the expected ranges and fibua ( fighting in built up areas ), street fighting that would be expected if the soviets wanted to start a fight. AT guided missiles wouldn't work too well in the rock garden that Berlin would rapidly turn into.

The German Panzerfaust was probably the cheapest and most effcent hand carry tank buster but the range was very short like wise the American 3.5 bazooka light easy to carry .

Back