What was the most one-sided battle in history? - Page 3

Read more about 27 Aug 1896, the shortest ever war, it lasted from 9.00 am to 9.45am. A british fleet delivered an ultimatum to the sultan of zanzibar to evacuate and surrender his palac

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

September 16th, 2004   #21
serbianpower

okay let`s talk about real battles and wars, not about those colonial wars from 15-19th centery. btw nobody did mention `amazing` victories of spanish army in new world? now about real battles, 1876 battle at vucji dol, montenegrians, inferior in numbers killed 8000 turks, and they had 70 dead and 118 wounded. what about that?

-
AVG Advent calendar: daily offers
October 9th, 2004   #22
Lupos

I think I would have to go with New Orleans, the final battle of The War of 1812. Jackson defends the city from an onslaught of thousands of British soldiers with only a few hundred men, many of which militia. Thermopyoles is a good runner up though, the Spartans were absolutely crazy man!!! They may have lost the battle, but they won the war. 8)

October 9th, 2004   #23
Bellerophon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupos
I think I would have to go with New Orleans, the final battle of The War of 1812. Jackson defends the city from an onslaught of thousands of British soldiers with only a few hundred men, many of which militia. Thermopyoles is a good runner up though, the Spartans were absolutely crazy man!!! They may have lost the battle, but they won the war. 8)
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Battle_of_New_Orleans

October 9th, 2004   #24
KAMIKAZI

I agree, the zulu wars were complete destruction.

October 9th, 2004   #25
Airborne

The most one sided battle, or the most one sided battle in which the underdog won.... I don't know the exact focus of this topic, it seems to me we're just trying to defend our focus of study.

In general, people would say Adrianople or Kiev just due to the fact of the mast number of people slaughtered there, but so many battles throughout history has ended in this way.... what about the battles during the last days of Ottoman empire during the Greek and Armenian Holocaust where villagers say Ottoman troops backed by German Artelliary support and refused to be exectued and ran up the mountainside to the old Roman Fortress and duked it out till the rebels could come and rescue them, or American equivalents, like the Alamo (though, not as successful) and the Battle of Little Bighorn, or Mao Tse-dong's early Soviet Republic in the 1920's constantly under attack? So many Samurai Armies have died in holding actions, and defeated Chinese generals would often times make thier last stand on bridges or passes where all their troops were within earshot, and found victory in the end.

October 15th, 2004   #26
BigBert96

So many battles that were heroic victories.

American

1. Battle of New Orleans, outgunned, outsupplied, outmanned, but not outlead. Astonishing victory over most professional army at the time.
2. Battle for Baltimore(War of 1812)same situation as before, just the Americans got the @#$% bombed out of them for like 2 days straight, it was at the time the largest concentrated artillery barrage in history. And they still won! This battle is always overlooked, but huge victory for America.
3. Chancellorsville- Lee at his best!
4. Marines on Guadalcanal. Outmanned, outgunned, and still held the ground.

Texas

1. Battle for San Jacinto. About 400-600 texas troops slaughtered and captured a professional mexican army of about 5000 troops.(And captured the Mexican General Santa Anna)
2. The Alamo. They still lost though.

England

1. Theres quite a bit, but thier biggest win I think would have to be Battle of Britain. If they lost that one, they lost thier little island.

France
1. Cant think of any decisive victories, help me out!

Germany

1. Kiev
2. France

But I think the largest, most decisive battle would have to go to the Greeks(Spartans, and Athenians) in battle of Thermopalie. 300 Greeks fought and won against 10,000 persians. It doesn't get any more onesided than that. And that was pure hand to hand fighting. No artillery, no rifles or bombs, just swords, spears, and lots of balls! Wow.

\"It puts the lotion on its skin.\"

Joe Dirt

October 18th, 2004   #27
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
The final battle of New Orleans.

"Fin. The British forces withdrew through Lake Borgne and into the Gulf, firing on Fort St. Philip for over a week before sailing out to sea for good."
Actually that's not quite true
The same British forces landed further down the Florida coast, and captured the US fort at Mobile, taking prisoner over 300 US regular troops.
It was this action which was the last connected to the War of 1812, not the Battle of New Orleans

If in doubt...... Panic!!!!!!!!

October 19th, 2004   #28
A Can of Man

1991 Iraq was a major route.

1993 Mogadishu was a lopsided military victory that was turned into a political defeat.

October 25th, 2004   #29
Pigpen

Super Bowl XX - Chicago 46, New England 10

October 26th, 2004   #30
Romero

What about the British colonial battle in the Sudan where the British army slaughtered thousands of the enemy with their Maxim guns and suffered a handful of casualties? I forget the name of it.

Tags
battle, casualties, history, one-sided, sizes

MilitaryClothing.com