what medals and ribbons do YOU have?

The object isnt what medals you have, medals arent that important.. Medal whores are frowned at in all branches of service.

So I am a suck up?

I do what I am supposed to not to get what I want, but because it is what you are supposed to do, If you ask me about JROTC ribbons, I will tell ya, I don't think half of em have a purpose to exist. Why get a ribbon or medal something that you should be doing in the first place?

NO.

I am glad you look at it like that Sukio. Do what you are supposed to do, period. Everything else falls into place.

Israeli army only gives medals for acts during combat, and only gives ribons for serving at time of war. so we dont really frown at medals, cause youd have to do something pretey important to get one.

well for the sake of the post then...

2 Navy/Marine corps Achievement medals
3 sea service medals
1 combat action ribbon
1 expeditionary medal
expert pistol (both standard and competiton)
expert rifle (both standard and competition)
1 Navy Commendation medal
1 P.U.C.
1 Good Conduct
the National defense (mcdonalds) Ribbon
Global War on Terror
Afghan Service
Iraqi Service
Air Medal
Korean Defense
1 J.S.A.M

Fleet Marine Warfare Pin
Combatant Aircrew Wings
Air Crew Wings
Dive Bubble
Jump Wings

OK

Us army Achievement medal
Afghan Service Isaf-Nato medal
Air wings
Advanced nco school medal
5 , 10, 15, years of service medals
operation in our homeland war medal
homeland war medal

My unit had awards night after my last thread: I got NS ll outstanding cadet, Exemplary military conduct(again), apitiude(again), Exemplary apperace, a medal with it, a Area 12 drill medal, and a medal from the American Veterens society, with certificate and ribbon ( I won't wear it often to preserve it's condition)

But, no promotion, but, I don't fret, for I get to go to leadership academy. I still stand by for what I stood by in my other post.

But I do cherise the AMVETS medal, as well as my billet for leadership, now the hardpart is staying fit, and smart so I don't drop out of the 1 week academy.

Last edited:
Yes sir C/Commander, my LDAC was at Kings Bay Ga. Funny though, I did not see the ocean the whole time I was there.

Don't recall exact order of ribbons, but I earned the following as far as I know (say that because sometimes Americans are awarded stuff after they get out and not necessarily notified):

Navy Unit Commendation.
Sea Service Deployment.
Army Achievement.
National Defense Service.
Southwest Asia Service.
Saudi Arabia Liberation/Kuwait with palm tree.
Kuwait Liberation.
Good Conduct.
Combat Action.
Rifle 2nd award/Pistol 1st award, Expert.

Yes sir C/Commander, my LDAC was at Kings Bay Ga. Funny though, I did not see the ocean the whole time I was there.

You wouldn't, none of you have the security clearances needed to get anywhere near the waterfront on that particular base. Just getting our badges to go down there was about an hour process. Were you first or second cycle? I was there for the first week doing pre-underway training for my sub cruise.

Oh, and don't call me sir :p

Last edited:
Second week S.... MR. C/commander, first week had departed the day before our arrival. Spent hours in the Trident training facility, taking class and climbing lots of stairs.

I had a few friends there for our third phase (your second week), but no, I was back in Norfolk by then. And yeah the TTF is a rather large building. We thought you spent much more time on drill than you did on classes; guess not. Your retired Marines were pretty cool guys, we shot the :censored: with them for a long time a couple of days.

Cutterman's Pin
USCG ACHIEVEMENT MEDAL 3
Battle E 5
Sea Service
Humanitarian 2
Expert Rifle
Expert Pistol

I am not really a ribbon guy they give them to me I put them on but the ones I am most proud of is my first Achievement medal, and my first Humanitarian both of those were earned saving a lot of lives at sea. The rest are just fruit salad and chicklets I don't really mean that the Battle Es are always good to have. I have a bunch of unit stuff. They even gave me the Katrina ribbon I did not deploy for Hurrican relief but they gave it to everyone.

I have these:

Federal:

Army Commendation Medal (2nd award)
Army Achievement Medal (3rd award)
Army Good Conduct Medal
Reserve Components Achievement Medal (3rd award)
National Defense Medal (2nd award)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal (Bronze hourglass)
Global War On Terror Service Medal
NCO Professional Development Ribbon (w/number 2 BNCOC)
Army Service Ribbon
Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon (2nd award)

Driver Badge (with T & W qual. bar)
Expert Rifle
Expert Grenade (got long ago - probably not done anymore)
Expert Machine Gun

State:

Meritorious Service Ribbon
Outstanding Unit Ribbon (2nd award)
Good Conduct Ribbon (3rd award)
Active Duty For Training Ribbon
Professional Development Ribbon
Service Ribbon (2nd award)
Duty Ribbon (3rd award)
Special Duty Ribbon

And what means the most to me by far:

Mountain Warfare Badge (Ramshead)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramshead_Device

Note: I'll agree with those who say medals and ribbons don't mean so much as many think they do. 'Specially when somebody of one rank gets one medal and somebody of another rank gets a different one (think you know what I mean by that). They do, however, count for promotion and retirement points. ;)

Last edited:
I've only been in the Marines for four years now, but I got:
Purple Heart
Navy & Marine Corps Achievement
Combat Action Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal(with Bronze star)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism (Expeditionary)
Global War on Terrorism (Service)
NATO Medal

I'm currently in Iraq now so come next May, I'll be placing an Bronze Oak Leaf on my Iraq Campaign ribbion.

Maybe someone here can answer this question --How is it possible to have been awarded the NDSM when I have been out of the National Guard since 1989 and never saw any active duty ??

Eligible periods

In the years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is authorized only for the following time periods.
  • June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
  • January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War
  • August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Service_Medal

DMSM, Defense Meritorious Service Medal
ARCOM, Army Commendation Medal with 2 Bronze Oak Leaves
AFCOM, Air Force Commendation Medal
AAM, Army Achievement Medal with Silver Oak Leaf
GCM, Good Conduct Medal with 2 Bronze Knots
NDSM, National Defense Service Medal with 1 Bronze Star
OSR, Overseas Service Ribbon
ICM, Iraq Campaign Medal with 1 Bronze Star
GWOT, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
ASR, Army Service Ribbon
AFRM, Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Silver Hourglass, M Device, and Numeral 2