What Makes A Good Military leader?

About What Makes A Good Military leader?

International Military Forums > Military Discussion Forums > Military Related Discussions
User Name
Password

October 24th, 2004   #1
Jacob

What Makes A Good Military leader? info

What Makes A Good Military leader?

October 24th, 2004   #2
SFC

A good military leader will always have the welfare of his soldiers come first and foremost is their safety and well being. A person willing to go the extra mile, one who knows how to follow ordwers as well as give orders. A person that has common sense, an educational background and knowledge of the MOS where they are a leader. I know there are a lot more that a leader can have, but their soldiers should be the first.

SFC

Life Member: Disabled American Veterans (DAV) NRA, BASS, Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association

http://www.pbase.com/sfce7

October 24th, 2004   #3
larsrq

Amen to that SFC. You really must be able to put yourself in the mind of the soldiers you command. Don't ask more of them than you can do yourself.
Let them use their own brain. You don't have to think for them.

October 25th, 2004   #4
texasrebel211

they have to use the f bomb or some other vulgar word every 5th word or when talking to the enlisted so they will understand

and they have to drink

October 25th, 2004   #5
sunb!

It is also of importance of a good military leader to persuade the opportunity and be able to read, understand and gain control of the situation before the enemy does.

Per Qualitatem Optimum Robur

October 28th, 2004   #6
larsrq

I comment to texasrebel.

I have tested your way and in Sweden it really doesn't work. Trust your men, motivate them and learn them to think for themself and then you get good results. You don't need to scream and threat them.

Thats my experience maybe it doesn't work in the USA.

October 28th, 2004   #7
godofthunder9010

There is only one true test of a Military Leader -- War. Until a commander is forced to deal with the realities of war on the battlefield, you never know whether you got a winner or a lemon.

A great military leader knows his men and they know him. If he gives an order, they know that it is the best action to be taken because of who gave the order. The soldier does not have to doubt or even understand.

A great military leader adapts quickly during battle. He knows his terrain and uses it effectively. He keeps in contact with his soldiers so he can rapidly adjust and improvise when needed.

A great military leader is a free thinker more often than not. Know the tried and true methods, but always remain open to something revolutionary. He adapt and quickly implements new ideas.

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it."
- General Robert E. Lee
Warning, critical pebkac error in the iD10t!! pebkac\wtflolurpwnzd\snafuroflmao.exe called iD10t, iD10t failed to respond!! System in danger!!

"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man." -Chevy Chase

October 30th, 2004   #8
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrebel211
they have to use the f bomb or some other vulgar word every 5th word or when talking to the enlisted so they will understand

and they have to drink
I am going to have to disagree with you there. For those leaders who use the "f bomb" all the time, I tend to ignore the swearing. When it is used all the time, it is quite ineffective. Total confidence will go further than constant swearing in the long run.

Drinking has nothing to due with leadership. From what I have seen, drinking will always bring more problems than benefits in the militay.

Lead by example is a nother leadership biggie. Leaders who do the right thing ALL the time gain my respect. I actually had a leader tell me "do as I say, not as I do." What a farse!!

"The best form of taking care of troops is first-class training, for this saves unnecessary casualties." Erwin Rommel

October 31st, 2004   #9
Doppleganger

The best commanders lead by example. If you look at the great commanders of history you will see that borne out.

"An Emperor is subject to no-one but God and justice."

Frederick 1, Barbarossa

October 31st, 2004   #10
Doc.S

A captain that gets so fed up on non functional AK5s so he grabs the recruit "by the neck" from the class beneath weapon training and goes to the storehouse and gives the recruit hes own extra maintaind AK5 and tells you, Son I will teach you to handle that weapon personally!

Cheers:
Doc.S

Col. Meyers: What\'s your assessment of this situation, Gunny?
Highway: It\'s a cluster ****, sir. Marines shouldn\'t be sitting on their sorry asses filling out requisitions for equipment they should already have.
Col. Meyers: An astute observation.
-Heartbreak Ridge-