What history DVD to buy?

Folks,

Cross of Iron was the movie i was trying to describe, and nobody could me its name. GRRR! Now I am going to order it on DVD.

Band of Brothers. Really good but kind of expensive. (Haven't checked since it came out but it was $80 then.)
A Bridge too Far
Kellys Heroes
Patton
The Longest Day (Great black and white John Wayne movie)
Sands of Iwo Jima
The Desert Fox
Stalag 17
Thin Red Line
Now I cant remember the title but it was a more recent movie made in 2000 or later. Its about some GIs seperated in France and they stumble across a British pilot with some key intel. They have to avoid the nazis and survive in the cold winter snows. So if anyone remembers the name please tell me.

Wheezcellbert said:
Now I cant remember the title but it was a more recent movie made in 2000 or later. Its about some GIs seperated in France and they stumble across a British pilot with some key intel. They have to avoid the nazis and survive in the cold winter snows. So if anyone remembers the name please tell me.

Saints and Soldiers

I suddenly remember this very good movie which is placed in the Vietnam war, it is called: 84 Charlie Mopic. If you haven't seen it, you should! It has some very nice turns and twists and get the old adrenaline pumping every so often....

bulldogg said:
Hated that movie... Firebase Gloria much better.
:)

You have actually seen it too?? You are the third person that I know of, who has seen it. But why don't you like it?

Saints and Soldiers. You might have thought it was weird because it was produced by Morman Church I think. So it has a moral or religious message that is not apparent if you don't know who produced it. Kind of like the Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis are supposed to be an allegory about Christianity but if you didn't know this you would just think its a story about a Lion and some kids running around.

My pet peeve about WWII movies made in the late 50s and 60s is that the women are always dressed like 50s and 60s and not WWII. They always have beehives and lots of black eyeliner which is not historically correct and looks retarded.

Firebase Gloria is a good one. A good 'ole R Lee Ermey B flick. I haven't seen Charlie MoPic yet because I can't seem to find it. I heard good things about Go Tell the Spartans.

"Now you listen to me Flanagan and you listen good! The communications bunker is history! We are on our own. There will be no re-supply. So you tighten up and make do with what you've got. You're a captain? Be a goddamn captain!"

Ermey is the man.

What is it with you men?

Why do men always know the dialogue to movies and repeat it all the time? Is there some part of your brain that store's movie dialogue?

Lilmissflamethrower said:
Why do men always know the dialogue to movies and repeat it all the time? Is there some part of your brain that store's movie dialogue?

*Hooks thumbs in bulletbelt and in best John Wayne voice possible* "Why, whaddya mean by that, little Sister?"

Last edited:
"What an awful thing to say. Does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know if I thought we weren't friends anymore I just don't think I could bear it."
:)

I bought What Price Glory and Battleground at a local store yesterday cuz I was bored. WPG was rather dumb. I think I will try to take it back. I was thinking the whole time, is this a comedy or a serious movie? Didn't watch Battleground yet. They had a bunch of Fox War classics and movies directed by John Ford for about $7 to $11. I didn't like this one at all.

The Cooler King said:
"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves."

Isn't this from "Kelly's Heroes"?

But you have a point miss; I don't know why men do that? But it is always good fun when you are slightly pissed to start the film-quotes contest. Then you have all these men doing funny voices and it..... well, it just some good ol'fashion fun! Actually "I think it is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" when men do that.... it is called bonding.

Bingo Ted it is from Kelly's Heros... the tank commander played by Donald Sutherland I believe.

Back