what are good and bad reasons to go to war

About what are good and bad reasons to go to war

International Military Forums > Military History Forums > General Military History Forum
User Name
Password

May 15th, 2004   #1
goaliedude66630

what are good and bad reasons to go to war info

on the topic of point less wars the topic of whats a reaon to go to war so i would like to know what people think on just that topic

May 15th, 2004   #2
IrishWizard

Well im honestly not a good person to ask this question to cause technically im a "War Hawk" Which is a person who wants to go to war for anything. But honestly I think a country or group of people has a right to go to war if they are attacked or invaded of course. A example would be USA in WWII at Pearl Harbor, or more recently us attacking Afghanistan after 9/11. Togo to war just for more money or to gain more land I do not really think is a good reason. There has to be a good reason, so to sum it up. If hurt happens to a country, then that country has a right to strike back.

May 15th, 2004   #3
Mark Conley

The top reason for war in my opinion: defense of the realm. Preventing agression by an outside state or country to your country.

Its often been said that "Violence never solved anything". Thats not true. Violence has resolved quite a few things in world history...maybe not to one parties satisfaction vs the other, but it does work.

“If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to do so from the neck up instead of from the neck down.”— General James H. Doolittle, USAAF

May 15th, 2004   #4
FutureRANGER

Anyone ever see the shrirt that says-

Except for ending Slavery, Facism, Naziam, and Communism,

WAR NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!

I think Imperialism is a good reason to go to war.

May 15th, 2004   #5
Darkmb101

BAD reason to go to war: Money

on a permanent vacation....will visit every now and then. see arcade
hidden message!!! Life is short and pointless, be happy and live it.

May 15th, 2004   #6
Marksman

Good:none
bad one:Cuz somebody else is pissed off and they send you to straighten things up

May 16th, 2004   #7
Jamoni

Good reasons: An attack on your own or an ally's soil.
That's it. Any other reason is aggression.

Peacekeeping missions are a different horse. Those should be fought to stabilize a situation which could escalate in to war, but should ALWAYS be international in nature, to forestall accusations of undue aggression.

May 16th, 2004   #8

good: defense (your own or someone else's)
bad: offense

May 16th, 2004   #9
goaliedude66630

good guys info

every things very cut and dry in reasons but they all make sense so thats good

May 17th, 2004   #10
Marksman

I correct my self
good:life danger of your loved ones