What did it do fore you

BlackBear

In many wars and in many battles Scottish pipers have led soldiers into battle,,,
Have you ever went to a battle with a piper in front of you

and if so what does it do for you how did it effect you emotionally.

did you feel pride in yourself and the power to take on the enemy did it boost your moral

Ex Piper
Scots guards

I have done some re-enactment battles with pipes playing and it didn't do much for me as I couldn't hear them well over the tromping of feet and the jingling of armor.

As long as we're talkin Scottish pipes (ie damn loud, you can hear them over almost anything), then I love them. I don't know that they make me feel superior, but for me its a feel good, happy experience. Then again, I'm weird. Tocatta and Fuge in D Minor (often used in Phantom of the Opera) is one of the most soothing and relaxing pieces of music I can think of. Most would say that particular piece of music is creepy ... but its not.

Basically it does nothing for the soldiers, but it puts the fear of God to the enemy, i.e., the drums at the Alamo, bugles at Pork Chop Hill, etc., as it has psychological effects on the enemy.

SFC

MY FATHER SAID THAT AN ATTACK WAS PUT IN VERY EARLY ONE MORNING IN NORMANDY THE MIST WAS GOING ACROOS THE FIELDS AND HE SAID IT DID LIFT HIM AND THE GUYS WITH HIM,AND YES IT DID SCARE THE HELL OUT OF THE GERMANS,DIDNT STOP THEM FIGHTING BUT YOU CANT HAVE EVERY THING .......OH BUY THE WAY THEY KICKED THERE WELL EQUIPED NICE UNIFORMED ARSES REAL GOOD[/b]

IT DID A LOT FOR MY DAD AND HE WAS VERY MUCH ON THE SHARP END DID NOT KNOW THAT THE BAG PIPES WERE USED WITH THE US FORCES AND OBVIOSLEY IT HAS BEEN DOCUMENTED AS NOT BEING A MORALE LIFTER WITH THE US FORCES
TANGO20

All I know is what my Grandfather used to tell me.
"I pity then man that hears the pipes and isna Scottish!"
He fought in one of the Highland regiments during WWII - I don't know if they ever had the pipers lead them in battle. But, he did tell me that my Great-Grandfather (Black Watch Regiment) did go into battle during WWI to the pipes. To be honest I don't know if this is actually true or not, but it sure sounds cool.

Ohh man, i love bagpipes too,i just cant figure out whaty that scottish song from "we were soldiers" was,its so adrenalin boosting...........

Lord Lovat had them play "Black Fearson" when they came to the aid of the British Airborne at Normandy. "Campbells Are A Coming" is another good one. But being of Clan Donald I prefer "The March Of The MacDonalds". The pipes make the hair on the back of my head stand up and my heart thrill. I could well imagine marching to battle with their refrain.

BTW, The MacArthurs were the hereditary pipers of Clan Donald so you can probably guess who my favorite American General is.

Note to the Texans here: Houston is a sept, or clan within the larger clan, of MacDonald. So your most famous founder is important to me too ;)

My unit has a pipe band, they are know all over the world.... And I love the Pipes and Drums... Highland Laddie and Blackbear are my favorite's when the Battalion is marching off.
But I don't think they will pipe anyone into battle anymore...

My best memory from my basic is marching back to shacks in a light raing, sun setting, all the while a pipe band was playing in the back ground. Shoulda seen us, our necks were 3 inches back through our collars :lol:

ha ha ha ha

My grandad taught me how to play the bag pipes, I was less out of breath running 2 miles after playing the pipes for 5 mins!!! lol

Bear where in Scotland you from?

I always found them great to march to, but NO I never went into action with a piper they were not the sort of thing you carry in the Airborne. The last time I marched to pipes was about fortnight ago while carrying the Queens Colours on VE/VJ celebrations.

Charge 7 said:
The pipes make the hair on the back of my head stand up and my heart thrill. I could well imagine marching to battle with their refrain.

damn straight, there is something special about the pipes, the haunting sounsd, its beautiful. "scotland the brave" (not sure its real name) is my fave

Back