What did it do fore you - Page 2

Read more about In many wars and in many battles Scottish pipers have led soldiers into battle,,, Have you ever went to a battle with a piper in front of you and if so what does it do fo

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

January 24th, 2005   #11
Marksman

Ohh man, i love bagpipes too,i just cant figure out whaty that scottish song from "we were soldiers" was,its so adrenalin boosting...........

--
January 24th, 2005   #12
D_Plus_One

That song is "Sgt. McKenzie" by Joseph Kilna McKenzie if I remember correctly.

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
-Wilfred Owen

January 25th, 2005   #13
Charge 7

Lord Lovat had them play "Black Fearson" when they came to the aid of the British Airborne at Normandy. "Campbells Are A Coming" is another good one. But being of Clan Donald I prefer "The March Of The MacDonalds". The pipes make the hair on the back of my head stand up and my heart thrill. I could well imagine marching to battle with their refrain.

BTW, The MacArthurs were the hereditary pipers of Clan Donald so you can probably guess who my favorite American General is.

Note to the Texans here: Houston is a sept, or clan within the larger clan, of MacDonald. So your most famous founder is important to me too

"Do not forget your dogs of war, your big guns, which are the most-to-be respected arguments of the rights of kings."

- Frederick the Great, King of Prussia

January 26th, 2005   #14
Pete031

My unit has a pipe band, they are know all over the world.... And I love the Pipes and Drums... Highland Laddie and Blackbear are my favorite's when the Battalion is marching off.
But I don't think they will pipe anyone into battle anymore...

January 27th, 2005   #15
A Can of Man

No, but the pipe will always be a part of the formal gatherings.

January 27th, 2005   #16
r031Button

My best memory from my basic is marching back to shacks in a light raing, sun setting, all the while a pipe band was playing in the back ground. Shoulda seen us, our necks were 3 inches back through our collars

Ducimus: we lead

The difference between bravery and stupidity is timining.

January 27th, 2005   #17
Anya1982

ha ha ha ha info

My grandad taught me how to play the bag pipes, I was less out of breath running 2 miles after playing the pipes for 5 mins!!! lol

Bear where in Scotland you from?

July 23rd, 2005   #18
LeEnfield

I always found them great to march to, but NO I never went into action with a piper they were not the sort of thing you carry in the Airborne. The last time I marched to pipes was about fortnight ago while carrying the Queens Colours on VE/VJ celebrations.

July 24th, 2005   #19
Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge 7
The pipes make the hair on the back of my head stand up and my heart thrill. I could well imagine marching to battle with their refrain.
damn straight, there is something special about the pipes, the haunting sounsd, its beautiful. "scotland the brave" (not sure its real name) is my fave

If I am asked what we are fighting for, I can reply in two sentences. In the first place, to fulfil a solemn international obligation . . . an obligation of honor which no self-respecting man could possibly have repudiated. I say, secondly, we are fighting to vindicate the principle that small nationalities are not to be crushed in defiance of international good faith at the arbitrary will of a strong and overmastering Power.
Author: Rt. Hon. Herbert Henry Asquith
Source: Statement, to House of Commons, Declaration of War with Germany, Aug. 4, 1914

Tags
battle, effect, piper, power, pride