What ails you?

Queensman

As we all get older things start happening to us that are unexpected which can often have a negative impact on our lifestyles.
Some are expected, like soldiers having trouble with knees, ankles and hips from tabbing long distances carrying your kit or for the airborne amongst you, damaged knees from jumping out of aeroplanes. Add to this the injuries people get from sporting activities and you can see why the super fit healthy person you were aged 20 is now a wreck aged 50.

There are the unexpected though. I have managed 5 MI's and 8 NSTEMI in 7 years despite being fairly fit. I have had numerous cardiac ablations and angio procedures but to look at me it would be difficult to see that I was actually ill. Recently, 2 weeks ago, I had surgery to fix an AV Fistula to my femoral artery in my right groin, followed by a massive infection and cellulitis, I'm home now still hobbling about but still with a wound that is leaking pus which luckily doesn't smell. I shall be seeing my doctor tomorrow because the infection is still there after 2 weeks and i might need some antibiotics. It's also easier to get the dressing changed there for at least once anyway.

So this got me thinking to what ails any of the old and bold on here, young too, and how much of a hindrance do you consider it. I myself just plod on and do whatever I can until the time I can't, then I will do something else.

I have problems with my back and my knees, I only have to look at something heavy and my back goes out.

I dropped off a 12 foot wall with a GPMG across my back on an assault course and landed on the gun. I thought I had broken my back I was in so much pain. I broke my arm in 1978 on exercise, ever since every winter it hurts like hell.

I have arthritis in both knees from carrying heavy bergens and jumping on naughty squaddies from a great height! ;)

Arthritic knees or a case of being unfit saved a few of us when chased by a RMP in paderborn around 84, we reckon they were TA RMP because we outran them.
All over a MCrib that tasted as if it had been dipped in a toilet.

I have problems with my back and my knees, I only have to look at something heavy and my back goes out.

I dropped off a 12 foot wall with a GPMG across my back on an assault course and landed on the gun. I thought I had broken my back I was in so much pain. I broke my arm in 1978 on exercise, ever since every winter it hurts like hell.

I know a guy ex Anglian that broke his back on a log run, couldn't of happened to anyone less deserving. He blamed everyone apart from his own slack lazy attitude. He recovered fairly well and for 15 years was being overpaid by about £1000 until new systems were introduced within the pay corp, he reckoned the guy responsible covered up his mistake so he didn't get found out and then get handed over to the highwayman for some remedial pe and lessons on how to avoid 14 stone of RMP landing on your back

Arthritic knees or a case of being unfit saved a few of us when chased by a RMP in paderborn around 84, we reckon they were TA RMP because we outran them.
All over a MCrib that tasted as if it had been dipped in a toilet.

My knees don't bother me now, I do 2 hours in the gym 5 days a week. ;) I got stabbed in the back with a broken bottle in Paderborn in 1988. I was there on exercise, we were given the night off so headed into town and got ratarsed! One of the locals took great offence to our singing and started a fight! The bar owner shouted, "I'm going to call the RMP!" Thinking it would stop the fight, his face was a picture when some one shouted back, "We are the RMP!" :lol:

Last edited:
My knees don't bother me now, I do 2 hours in the gym 5 days a week. ;) I got stabbed in the back with a broken bottle in Paderborn in 1988. I was there on exercise, we were given the night off so headed into town and got ratarsed! One of the locals took great offence to our singing and started a fight! The bar owner shouted, "I'm going to call the RMP!" Thinking it would stop the fight, his face was a picture when some one shouted back, "We are the RMP!" :lol:

It's good that you can use the gym, especially because you mentioned about joining the reserves, it can only help you.
I'm forbidden from using the gym, lifting heavy items or doing anything more than a gentle walk. Alongside the heart disease I have various rythmn problems, as soon as I do too much my heart rate shoots up to over 160bpm. It's better now than a couple of years ago, my resting heart rate was about 120-140 bpm and once after doing some gardening I went into hospital with a rate of 220bpm which peaked at 301bpm just before I was knocked out and shocked into a slower rate[emoji21]
Now my resting rate is between 65-95 which is pretty good.

I would of loved to see the landlords face when you told him you were RMP.
How did you explain the broken bottle to the back though? There is always someone who will use it against you or an over eager officer or clerk to say that you were bringing the army into disrepute. In fact even though I found that my MOD90 would quite often get me out of trouble, especially with older civi police, it could be a curse getting into trouble at other times. Being punished twice for the same crime isn't very pleasant and wouldn't be tolerated in civi street. Good job my discharge form said exemplary

To be honest, I was that drunk, I didn't feel a thing. :drunkb: I thought I'd been punched. It was only the next morning when I woke up rather worse for wear that I realised I was stuck to the sheets!!! :shock:

To be honest, I was that drunk, I didn't feel a thing. :drunkb: I thought I'd been punched. It was only the next morning when I woke up rather worse for wear that I realised I was stuck to the sheets!!! :shock:

Did they catch the culprit or are you still married to her?
:)

Sorry to hear about that broken back, mine just deteriorated with abuse. If it weren't for those lower vertebrae and those darn worn out knee's (cartilage gone, but ample arthritis). Basketball did in the knee's.
I mainly just fish for my finny freinds.

Sorry to hear about that broken back, mine just deteriorated with abuse. If it weren't for those lower vertebrae and those darn worn out knee's (cartilage gone, but ample arthritis). Basketball did in the knee's.

Thankfully my back wasn't broken just badly bruised vertebrae. Being young at the time I just brushed it off and took pain killers when my back hurt. My uncle Charlie who was in North Africa with the 8th Army with the LRDG in later life had to wear a steel corset.

Military service does have its price, but I'd still do it if I could.

When I broke my arm in 1978 I was on exercise in Germany, I ended up in the British Military Hospital in Hannover. I was well chuffed, the rest of the Squadron were up to their eyes in mud while I had a nice comfy bed, clean sheets and nurses bringing me breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed. lol

Last edited:

You do realise that stating something has deteriorated through abuse in Britain can have a completely different meaning[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]
Only young men harm themselves by abusing their bodies, the rest of us have a wife to do it instead or in some cases they pay for it[emoji13][emoji16]

You do realise that stating something has deteriorated through abuse in Britain can have a completely different meaning[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]
Only young men harm themselves by abusing their bodies, the rest of us have a wife to do it instead or in some cases they pay for it[emoji13][emoji16]

I don't know if I like where this is going :-D

What do you expect? He's RAF

Erm, at the time I was a part time weekend warrior pongo.:camo::mrgreen:

It needed an ex RAF bloke to show the pongo's how its done.:cool:

In the ward I was in they brought in a Red Cap with a broken leg, he was whimpering and wailing like a little girl, he ended up with a number of bed pans being thrown at him. Then a nurse noticed his toes were going blue, they had put the plaster cast on too tight cutting off the blood supply. As they cut the plaster cast off he was still wailing and whimpering, when he returned to the ward he was not a happy chappy. I did chuckle:evil:

I broke and dislocated my finger a couple of years back. Cracked my head open many a time as a child - whether running in the streets, falling over and WHAM onto the concrete. Or, famously roller-blading indoors and WHAM, head first onto the corner of the stone hearth...

Dad got done for speeding on the way to the hospital. Copper let us go (what a nice man!)

Aside from that, I am thankfully very healthy!

Back