What Abou The French Foreign Legion

roverin

:camo: ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY GEN REGARDING JOINING THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION LIKE;

(A)AGE
(B)CITIZENSHIP
(C)RELIGION-BARS?
(D)PERIOD OF CONTRACT
(E)ENTRY LEVELs--------CADETS,RECRUITS,OFFR ENTRY
(F)PREVIOUS MIL SERVICE IN OTHER COUNTRIES--QUALIFIES/NOT

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE REPLIES:angel:

How good is your French?
I know they say there's no language requirement but believe me you will want to speak good French.
My Korean isn't 100%... more like 95% and even THAT brings problems.
If your French isn't good or if you don't speak French at all, go do that first.

Check here for specifics:
http://www.ambafrance-us.org/atoz/legion/enlist.asp

As for fitness you should be able to run 10 kilometers at the drop of a hat.

Go to Cervens net.com. He runs an excellent foreign Legion site with a forum and a newbies/wannabies Q and A section.
Also:
Get extremely fit.
Run run and run. Climb a rope only using your arms.
Lotsa push ups.
Learn French.
Learn how to keep your mouth shut and do whatever you are told to do unquestionably.
Be prepared for a tough 5 years if you pass all the tests and get accepted.

I'd also like to add that to the recruiters previous experience doesn't really count as you all start from the same level.
Though previous experience may make life a little easier
Age is 18 to 45.
They seem to be accepting a hell of a lot of Eastern Europeans the past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
the_13th_redneck said:
How good is your French?
I know they say there's no language requirement but believe me you will want to speak good French.
My Korean isn't 100%... more like 95% and even THAT brings problems.
If your French isn't good or if you don't speak French at all, go do that first.
I've seen a documentary on the legion recently. Seems like when they accept you, you have daily language classes as part of instruction. But its difficult to get accepted if you don't understand a word of the commands, so I guess you're right one should have basic knowledge beforehand. If one has only limited time I would just cram verbs (esp. movements, forme impératif) and technical terms about weaponry, tactics. AFAIK officers are all french.

Eastern europeans aren't exactly famous for their command of english and neither are the french. So the only way to talk with your comrades is french and in such a situation most people start to speak pretty fluently after six months or so.

BTW you get a new name when you enter, that guy in the documentary had himself called Dieter "Kampfmann", meaning battle-man in german :-D

Last edited:
If you walk and breathe they will take you. They will teach French or knock it into you. I know a couple of lads that have done all that, and I assure you that life is still hard in the Legion

Going by some forums on the Legion, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for who they pick.
The general consensus is that the Legion is much the poorer for the large amount of Eastern Europeans that are now swelling the ranks.

From what I've read (ie no personal experience) the "get a new name" bit is a thing of the past except in very unusual circumstances.

All the respect in the world for those who join and survive the Legion, but you wouldn't catch me in it even if I had two decent knees.

I believe the name change is optional. After your tour of 5 years you are given the opportunity to change. For some this is quite appealing. But the days that you entered the Legion to escape prison are over. Criminals are not allowed into the Legion anylonger/

Ted I think the name change procedures change from year to year.....?
But if your name is changed and you want your origional name back it is called rectification.

A sergeant told me that the French Foreign Legion are one of the only regiments that have never won a battle... is this true?

I see, obviously the 13th DBLE's epic defence of "Bir Hakim" In the western Desert as part of the British 8th Army 1942 not count as a victory then? And the numerous Battles before Diem Ben Phu and Algeria not counting? The Heroic assault on Kowezi in Ziare and also as part of the "Dagger" div in the First Gulf War not victories? Good Lord your Sgt appears to have extremely high standards reguarding what defines winning!

RAInf said:
A sergeant told me that the French Foreign Legion are one of the only regiments that have never won a battle... is this true?

I think that Sgt. needs to pull his head out of his fourth point of contact. lol

Yea well obviously I suspected it wasent right thus the reason for me coming on here and asking.

Warwick said:
Ted I think the name change procedures change from year to year.....?
But if your name is changed and you want your origional name back it is called rectification.

I thought you changed your name after your tour. During your 5 years you are not allowed to contact your family etc, so nobody knows where you are. So what would be the point to change it then. However if you went in wanted (as was possible in earlier days) it was very convinient to change when you got out!

ANd about the Legion never winning a battle... tell him to buy a book!

Ted said:
During your 5 years you are not allowed to contact your family etc, so nobody knows where you are.

I've worked with the FFL, many of those guys kept in touch with their families.

Back