Welcome to the Book and Movie Review Forum

Duty Honor Country

In the last few months, we have had a couple of requests for a forum dedicated to books. We mods are proud to make that request a reality. Here in the book review forum, you can post a review on any good (or bad) books that you've read and talk about it with other members on the forum. Please read the following rules

Rules for the book review forum

1. Only review books you have read.

2. Please write the title in the subject. If you want to add anything else,
that is up to you.

3. Ensure your post has the title and Author’s full name.

4. Be detailed in your review. 2 or 3 sentences cannot fully describe a
book

5. Be creative. Use any means necessary to make your review
interesting. That's an order!! :drill:

With time, I hope the book review forum will hold an extensive collection of book reviews. Then people can just look around for a book on a given subject rather than ask. I've posted a few reviews to get things started. If you have any questions, just ask.

SGT Doody

Great work Doody! :D

I can also add that you're allowed to add your own comments to the book reviews if you have read the books yourself..

If you have any suggestions or comment to this new forum, then feel free to PM them to me or Doody.

can we have a request part, so if there is a book we are intersted in, but want peoples opinions of, we can put the name and author and hopefully get some responses?

Locke said:
can we have a request part, so if there is a book we are intersted in, but want peoples opinions of, we can put the name and author and hopefully get some responses?

That should be possible..

I'll discuss this a bit with Doody, and see what we can do about it.. :)

Locke said:

use the following in the subject when requesting an opinion or book review

"Requested: Red Storm Rising"

It probably doesn't hurt to have the author in there if you can fit it.

great

In the last few months, we have had a couple of requests for a forum dedicated to books. We mods are proud to make that request a reality. Here in the book review forum, you can post a review on any good (or bad) books that you've read and talk about it with other members on the forum. Please read the following rules

Rules for the book review forum

1. Only review books you have read.

2. Please write the title in the subject. If you want to add anything else,
that is up to you.

3. Ensure your post has the title and Author’s full name.

4. Be detailed in your review. 2 or 3 sentences cannot fully describe a
book

5. Be creative. Use any means necessary to make your review
interesting. That's an order!! :drill:

With time, I hope the book review forum will hold an extensive collection of book reviews. Then people can just look around for a book on a given subject rather than ask. I've posted a few reviews to get things started. If you have any questions, just ask.

SGT Doody
i like it so much

Currently reading, " The General: Charles De Gaulle and the France He Saved" by Jonathon Fenby. De Gaulle has always been a fascinating subject for me, mostly because he caused so much irritation to the U.S. while he was in charge in France. This is supposed to be a flattering biography, but it's difficult not to make De Gaulle come across as a huge jerk sometimes.
There is no doubt that he was one of the greatest Frenchmen of all times, in my view, even greater than Napoleon who was undoubtedly his role model. He even drank the same kind of wine as Napoleon? Any book about De Gaulle would be about a both a military and political leader. He served France as both a soldier and statesman. Churchill had great difficulties with him, Roosevelt hated him, Truman learned to hate him. The French people loved him, at least for a while, then they got tired of him. He was a great figure of the twentieth century. God willing we will not see his kind again.
Whatever his faults which were many and huge, he was a great French patriot.

I am currently reading "Helmet for My Pillow"by Robert Leckie. This book with Eugene Sledge's "The Old Breed" were used as the base for the TV series The Pacific.

Helmet for MY Pillow is a first hand account for the war in the Pacific as a marine.

I am currently reading "Helmet for My Pillow"by Robert Leckie. This book with Eugene Sledge's "The Old Breed" were used as the base for the TV series The Pacific.

Helmet for MY Pillow is a first hand account for the war in the Pacific as a marine.

I found out Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, and Gary Goetzman, the men behind Band of Brothers, have adapted material from Helmet for My Pillow for HBO’s epic miniseries The Pacific

I found out Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, and Gary Goetzman, the men behind Band of Brothers, have adapted material from Helmet for My Pillow for HBO’s epic miniseries The Pacific

Have you read Helmet for My Pillow? I have just reached the Guadalcanal campaign.

When I compare the two TV series The Band of Brothers and the Pacific, they are both good, but i prefer the Pacific, despite some events in the Pacific are not depicted, I am thinking about Tarawa and Saipan. I am gravitating toward the events in the pacific war. I can be quite bored about the events in Europe.

Have you read Helmet for My Pillow? I have just reached the Guadalcanal campaign.

When I compare the two TV series The Band of Brothers and the Pacific, they are both good, but i prefer the Pacific, despite some events in the Pacific are not depicted, I am thinking about Tarawa and Saipan. I am gravitating toward the events in the pacific war. I can be quite bored about the events in Europe.

no I have not read it. yet. I was not that impressed by the Pacific for the reasons you stated. I would like to see a movie about tarawa and some the other important islands. I will always like band of brothers. i have the DVD collection.

I also found Spielberg and Hanks are working on a third series about the 8th air force in EU.

The follow-up to "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" will be based on Donald Miller's "Masters of the Air."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632

no I have not read it. yet. I was not that impressed by the Pacific for the reasons you stated. I would like to see a movie about tarawa and some the other important islands. I will always like band of brothers. i have the DVD collection.

I also found Spielberg and Hanks are working on a third series about the 8th air force in EU.

The follow-up to "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" will be based on Donald Miller's "Masters of the Air."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632

The air force series sounds interesting. I would like to see something done about the navy. The US Navy had many battles in the Pacific, maybe something about Leyte and Taffy Three.

The air force series sounds interesting. I would like to see something done about the navy. The US Navy had many battles in the Pacific, maybe something about Leyte and Taffy Three.

agreed. it was the biggest ocean offensive in history.

Back