Who we are - Page 2

Read more about I mean, who we really are. Many of us have parents, grandparents, ancestors who came from other places. Other than the one we live in or have made our home. I was listeni

International Military Forums > > >
User Name
Password

August 28th, 2009   #11
SwordFish_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly

p.s. I attend to travel around India in the near future to try and learn more about it.
Hi,

I can make a List of Places to put in the To Visit list for ya

--
August 28th, 2009   #12
Jilly

swordfish, I will keep that in mind. I might have to take you up on it

A list of 'must see' places would be great.

August 29th, 2009   #13
SwordFish_13

Quote:
swordfish, I will keep that in mind. I might have to take you up on it

A list of 'must see' places would be great.
Here is something for a Starter .

Day One you Land of International Airport in New Delhi . Start with the North towards the Himalayas

1. Take the Toy Train and go to Shimla . we are now Officially in Himalayas .

2. From Shimla Take a Cab or Bus to Manali ,

3 From Manali hire a SUV to go to Laddakh , ( you migt be very sick by now as you are at the altitude of 16000–18050 ft ) and you are in the state of Jammu and Kashmir now

4 From there you can go to Kashmir Valley .. and Stay in a Lake house in Dal Lake ( You are in a Very Very Dangerous Place Yup Kashmir you are at the heart of it now, Keep your head down at all times )

So here is what you have traveled almost 2000 KM and covered 2% of India . You can now move of to the Hot Dry Deserts in the West or Dense Rainforset in the East or beaches of the South . Not to leave behind the Middle India where you have Taj Mahal and Sex temples of Khajuraho ( yup you heard me right i said the _S_ word )

Last edited by SwordFish_13; August 29th, 2009 at 06:13..

August 29th, 2009   #14
Jilly

Thanks for those suggestions, Swordfish.

The North is the area I come from, and I remember my mom used to talk about Shimla and what a beautiful area it was.

So the trains go right into the Himalayas? Jammu is actually not very far from where I come from. It's strange to think about snow in India, but it does in the mountains. Well, that's given me some ideas...

August 29th, 2009   #15
SwordFish_13

Quote:
Thanks for those suggestions, Swordfish.

The North is the area I come from, and I remember my mom used to talk about Shimla and what a beautiful area it was.

So the trains go right into the Himalayas? Jammu is actually not very far from where I come from. It's strange to think about snow in India, but it does in the mountains. Well, that's given me some ideas...
Hi,

The Kalka Shimla Toy Train Takes you to Shimla . The Toy Train is a UNESCO’s world heritage , It was built by the British Government in the year 1903. It passes through 102 tunnels and 87 bridges. Nice Trip

August 29th, 2009   #16
A Can of Man

What an interesting thread!
Actually I'm quite familiar with Russell Peters' standup. My favorite must be "you gotta beat your kids."
I know what you mean by all of that... "No, where are you REALLY from??"
Funny thing is, I learned to be Korean much much later in my life and even then can only pass for a Korean military person and not as a civilian (I appear to be out of place immediately).
I'm a patchwork of different cultures and "nationalities," of which American is the biggest slice but my documentation is all South Korean which puts me in a very strange situation!
I speak bits and pieces of all kinds of languages not necessarily through much effort but because that was just my reality.

August 29th, 2009   #17
Jilly

The Kalka Shimla Toy Train Takes you to Shimla . The Toy Train is a UNESCO’s world heritage , It was built by the British Government in the year 1903. It passes through 102 tunnels and 87 bridges. Nice Trip

Wow, I would really like to do that train journey, imagine the photo opportunities I'm taking notes, this I have to see.

13th, I agree, Russell Peters is one great comedian. His 'beat your kids' routine just has to be seen, makes me laugh, no matter how many times I see it! Ofcourse it's all tongue in cheek, Indians don't really beat their kids like that! It's just another one of those stereotypical things that has just stuck for some reason, but it is funny.

I can understand about the 'not really fitting into' catagory thing, 13th. My own kids have five different nationalites in them, that I know of. It's an interesting mix of Indian/Asian, American/Canadian, Native and European, (French and Italian). It makes life interesting

August 29th, 2009   #18
Mikefrombelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
What an interesting thread!
Actually I'm quite familiar with Russell Peters' standup. My favorite must be "you gotta beat your kids."
I know what you mean by all of that... "No, where are you REALLY from??"
Funny thing is, I learned to be Korean much much later in my life and even then can only pass for a Korean military person and not as a civilian (I appear to be out of place immediately).
I'm a patchwork of different cultures and "nationalities," of which American is the biggest slice but my documentation is all South Korean which puts me in a very strange situation!
I speak bits and pieces of all kinds of languages not necessarily through much effort but because that was just my reality.
You can even speak dutch, it really surprised me. you have a talent there 13th

To Beer! The Cause of, and Solution to, All Life’s Problems!

August 30th, 2009   #19
A Can of Man

hehe I wouldn't say I can realy speak Dutch. I'm really bad at it.

September 23rd, 2009   #20
sky2979

One really smart, cool, and hot chick! lol, hehehehhehe...lol.

穏やかなために祈る
R.I.P. Steven Zeluff

Tags
india, indian, live, made, people