Wanting to be a seal

ViperX

I am 14 1/2 right now i plan to be a seal when i am older i am in great shape and play hockey but right now would like a daily routine to start getting ready because i am going to really dedicate my self to this career and could use as much help possible right now i am just doing sit up's push ups stairs and pull up and running i would like a solid routine though and how to prepare my body since i am so young thats any help is appricated

Give this forum a search. There are a lot of threads regarding personal fitness. Look for posts from KJ as his advice is pretty solid.
And don't forget to get good grades.
Don't know if you should stay with hockey. If you get a bad injury, it's over.

Do you have some way to get around the fact that you're Canadian? Not that that's a bad thing, but SEALs are pretty picky, and foreign citizenship can hurt or eliminate your chances for a security clearance.

Foreign citizenship WILL deny him a proper security clearance inside the US military. It's the reason why if you do not become a US citizen during your four year enlistment, you cannot re-up and you cannot make the rank of E-5 or above.

Is there a Canadian special forces team that you could try for instead, or do you have an inroad to US permanent residency and citizenship?

Probably some kind of movie or video game motivated him.

Also agreed. Too much SOCOM.

But if you really do want to join an SOF unit, you should know that you don't just walk into the recruiting office and say 'I want to be a (insert SOF team here)'.

In respects to both Canadian and US militaries alike, you first have to join the military as a typical grunt, and do boot just like everyone else. After a few years of service you can apply to go through the basic SOF training of your choice. For Canada, it's JTF2 or CSOR (JTF2 being more special than CSOR). For the States, it's all dependant on what branch you go. If you really want SEALs, you'd best like the idea of joining the Navy.

From my perspective, you'd be better off joining the Canadian Forces and then later on progressing to JTF2 or CSOR than trying to join the USN and jump through the hoops of becoming a citizen just to be a SEAL.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck.

Truth be told there is probably a better chance of joining the Brit SAS with less hassle than joining any of the US Services.... Commonwealth countries and what not.

I want to be in The Us seals because my grampa served for the Us and so did my dad my grampa is dead now and no the video game had nothing to do with it i just think i have the will and comitment to make it to the seals my dad might be marrying an american girl which gives me a US Citizenship thanks though

Last edited:
If you have an in, take it - that's good. Join a cross-country team if you can; distance running is hard to train for. Do pushups every night until you can't anymore. Just keep yourself in good shape so that when they kick the **** out of you at BUD/S you can take it. And remember, a lot of it is probably going to be mind games.

Why fight for another country when you can fight for YOUR country? Besides, we got JTF2 which is a copy of the SAS (well it's a copy of delta force which is a copy of the SAS) and CSOR which is a copy of the US Rangers.

I came to Canada when I was 5 and Canada gave me so many opportunities and a wonderful living environment. I think that's worth fighting for, and heck even dieing for it too.

If I were you I would do the same I did: join the Army cadets. Boy oh boy did that give me a decent picture of Army life is all about. Too many people think it's just a piece of cake and you're there with your buddies having a good old time. It's a hard, demanding, unforgiving, fun as hell, life and it's worth every last bit. Your time serving your country is what you make it to be, put in effort and you WILL get rewarded, slack off and see what happens.

My plan is: Bust my ass in school until I'm 18, stick with the Army cadets until I'm 16 (I'm 14 currently), go to the Army reserves until I'm 18, attempt to get into RMC for Infantry Officer. After RMC I'll be in the Infantry until I can no longer serve my country. If I bust my ass for the first 5 years in the Infantry, I got a shot at joining JTF2, slim but it's a ray of hope.

But I'll make my decision to go Spec Ops when I get their. The bridge is under construction, but it's a long time coming 'till I can cross it. You never know what my situation will be like, I may be married and I wouldn't want to put my wife through the whole secrecy thing of Spec Ops, I may be alone and wanting a bigger challenge than regular Infantry, only time will tell.

Thank you very much i will take your advice and i will chase the dream i have beat all the games and that hasn't motivated me it was when my dad told me stories about him and my grampa my dad said he will help me get ready both mentally and physicly

I want to be in The Us seals because my grampa served for the Us and so did my dad my grampa is dead now and no the video game had nothing to do with it i just think i have the will and comitment to make it to the seals my dad might be marrying an american girl which gives me a US Citizenship thanks though

Well, it's good to hear that you're eager to serve your *soon to be* country.

If your dad does marry an American and becomes a citizen, you will only become a citizen yourself automatically if you're younger than 18.

ref: http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?dockey=cb90c19a50729fb47fb0686648558dbe

Otherwise, you'll have to go through the naturalization process yourself.

Again, good luck in your endeavours.

*By the way...you might want to work on punctuation a bit. Just a friendly tip and it makes for easier reading.

*For the others...if my information is incorrect in any way, please let me know.

*To C/Cpl Matteo...you might have me as one of your Basic Officer Training staff MCpl's. :drill:

Last edited:
i know it would be a good thing serveing my country but i want more of a challange and be able 2 do the whole Land,Air,Sea thing. America would probably make my time in the military alot harder but i would enjoy it more i think i mean the canadian spec ops only has a small wepon selection. But in the states i would get a better experince i belive.

While I can't say from experience for the level of challenge between American and Canadian Forces, I can say that our weapon selection, while not enormous, is far from 'small'. And weapon selection isn't something that makes for a better experience or challenge.

Also, most countries have a standard service rifle, carbine, light machine gun and general purpose machine gun. However, there are several modifications which can be added to each. This probably gives the illusion that US has a vast weapon selection, but in reality mainly use the M16, M4, SAW and M60 with each being modified to suit the person carrying the weapon or the mission profile. (Correct me if I'm way off)

It's hard to judge which would give you a better experience without actually being either one. And just because you hear more about the SEALs than JTF2 doesn't mean they don't do anything...Canada just doesn't advertise where our SOFs are. ;-)

Nope, Steglia, you're pretty much right on target (except we use the M240 instead of the M60 now, but no big deal). Our SpecWar and other forces are always shown on TV and in the movies with a whole host of weapons, but the reality is that they're more than likely going to use what everyone else is using, if only for logistical reasons. Just because you have more bling on your rifle than everyone else doesn't make it a different rifle :p

Back