Wanting to be a seal

About Wanting to be a seal Page 6

International Military Forums > Military Discussion Forums > Joining the Military? Basic Training and Military Service Questions.
User Name
Password

August 10th, 2008   #51
Topmaul

The Memo of Understanding was just signed a few weeks ago, I had the message on my desk last week. It said internet release authorized.

--
August 11th, 2008   #52
CanadianCombat

I'll throw my 2 cents in to this matter. For one thing, good on you for having a goal for your future. I would recommed that you wait until the age of 17, then join the Canadian regular force if you still want to be in the military by then. If there are still some doubts, then try the army reserves, it gives you alot better view of the army life than the cadets ever will, and if you don't like it you can just quit. Well it is army life just on weekends and summers...lol. One thing to keep in mind is that you will have the best chance at joining JTF-2 or CSOR if you are in the army....not the navy or airforce. You can still tryout, but the highest success rate comes from people in the army, the reason being they have more practice and experience with small-arms, unit tactices, etc. than applicants from the navy or airforce. JTF-2 is also much more than land forces, they have a SOF boat unit and SOF heli and transport unit as well. They all must however be qualified as JTF-2 assaulters (there are 2 classes of assaulters. first class being the main assault force and the second class assaulters being the support units i.e. the boat and air units along with cooks, riggers, mechanices, medics, etc.) so in this aspect of it Canada's JTF-2 is basicly the same as the American SEAL teams (don't forget there are more than just one type of SEALS....UDT, Counter Terrorist, support, etc.). Both countries SOF have very similar weapons load outs (this I will say should never be your reason for joining....as stated by many others before me.) and equipment. They both supply their SOF with some of the best training in the world, and they are probably training together alot aswell (it is very hard to find info on anything JTF-2, I recommed the book "JTF-2, Canada's Secret Commados" thats the most you will find about them, and whos to say that stuff is even true. Good read none the less.). It will be a hard journey but good luck, get as much info and help you can.

August 11th, 2008   #53
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCombat
American SEAL teams (don't forget there are more than just one type of SEALS....UDT, Counter Terrorist, support, etc.).
For the record. USN -SPECWAR (SEAL) are trained in all areas that are necessary. Teams and plt's maybe designated as CT etc. But other teams are also trained in the same areas and may backfill. So while certain groups maybe designated a certain type they are interchangeable. SEAL support units are designated differently such as SDV SBU unit's etc.

Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps
Company A, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regt, 3rd Marine Divison

We will never forget your valor and sacrifice.

Semper Fi !

August 11th, 2008   #54
CanadianCombat

Thank you for adding that in 03USMC

August 11th, 2008   #55
KJ

Uhm, where in that document does it say anything about SQT?
All I read is that coasties can apply for BUD/s..
Before SQT you are not technically a SEAL, although many of the survivors from BUD/s manage SQT quite well there have been one or two who have stumbled on the finnish line if I am not misinformed.
And as for BUD/s, itīs a school. Tough? Sure. Undefeatable, no.

If the coasties get to go to BUD/s but not SQT. what about the SWCC guys, are they going to dissapear now the coasties appear or are there going to be different delivery teams?

SDV Teams are all SEAL qualled guys with their SQT done.
Big difference.

"We are the pilgrims, Master
We shall go always a little further,
it may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or glimmering sea..."

August 15th, 2008   #56
AFSteliga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCombat
(there are 2 classes of assaulters. first class being the main assault force and the second class assaulters being the support units i.e. the boat and air units along with cooks, riggers, mechanices, medics, etc.)
Just a note CC...the classes in JTF2 aren't two classes of assaulter. There are 3 separate classes, and only one is 'assaulter'. They are: Special Operations Assaulter, Special Operations Cox'n, and Support. Link provided below for those interested:

http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/ajt-sfo/index-eng.asp

MCpl K. Steliga
Precision Approach Radar Controller
Wing Operations/Air Traffic Control
14 Wing Greenwood
Royal Canadian Air Force

Per ardua ad astra

August 15th, 2008   #57
AussieNick

Quote:
Just keep working for now.
You donīt need to prepare for SOF selection at the age of 14.
A well rounded workout and general fitness will suffice at your age.
I wouldn't even go as far as that. At 14 the most you should need to do in order to stay fit/get fitter is play sport. Play some school sport, as long as a few times a week you play organised sport you'll be fine. Worry about specific military fitness in the year before joining.

Quote:
For the record. USN -SPECWAR (SEAL) are trained in all areas that are necessary. Teams and plt's maybe designated as CT etc. But other teams are also trained in the same areas and may backfill. So while certain groups maybe designated a certain type they are interchangeable. SEAL support units are designated differently such as SDV SBU unit's etc.
This sounds very similar to the way the Aust. SF works. Although the SAS squadrons rotate between CT duties, airborne and maritime duties... The same for the Commandos, they rotate at company strength through an East Coast Counter Terrorism Squad. Is this rotation used by the US groups?

Last edited by AussieNick; August 15th, 2008 at 02:12..