Wanting to be a seal

Nope, Steglia, you're pretty much right on target (except we use the M240 instead of the M60 now, but no big deal). Our SpecWar and other forces are always shown on TV and in the movies with a whole host of weapons, but the reality is that they're more than likely going to use what everyone else is using, if only for logistical reasons. Just because you have more bling on your rifle than everyone else doesn't make it a different rifle :p

Well, in that case...the US and Canadian Forces have identical weapon loadouts. (C7 = M16, C8 = M4, C9 = M249 SAW [both derived from the FN MINIMI], and C6 GPMG = M240 [again, both derived from the FN MAG])

So back to my original point. There's no real difference in weapons selection.

which one is more with the sea. Us navy seals or the canadian one and also if i do go the Us route can i keep my canadian citizenship

Technically you're supposed to give up any other citizenship if you become a US citizen but I've seen very few people actually adhere to that. However, if you are in the military, having a second citizenship may become a problem.

Go through the naturalization process again in reverse?
At least that's the way it works over here.
You may have to do your own research on that one.

which one is more with the sea. Us navy seals or the canadian one and also if i do go the Us route can i keep my canadian citizenship

Both SEALs and JTF2 are Special Operations Forces, which means that they do relatively the same type of job, and go wherever they are needed. (ie: A JTF2 team is just as likely to perform an underwater insertion as a SEAL team.)

And as for the citizenship issue...yes, you can maintain a Canadian citizenship even after becoming a US Citizen. Both Canadian and American laws permit dual citizenship. And as far as I know, foreign military service does not force you to relinquish your Canadian citizenship. However, I'm not entirely sure about the rules within the US governing US Armed Forces service and dual citizenship.

Officially you're supposed to give up any other citizenship if you are a US citizen but it is not enforced and people generally do not adhere to it. At least that's how it was a couple of years back.

Cdt Matteo, your plans seem to be thought out well in advance... But a bit of advice on the SF dreams. If you become an infantry officer you probably will never bother with trying out for SF. I used to want to attempt Commando selection in Australia, but normal infantry activity keeps you busy enough... and as an officer most of the time it'll just be admin and justifying things.

And Cdt Matteo, you won't know what it's like in the real thing until you get to the real thing. Not saying it's not the same, I never served in the Canadian military nor have I been a cadet but a lot of other cadets think that their experience, which in many cases is like a watered down boot camp, is representative of military life.
Like AussieNick said, just get to infantry first.

ok so here it goes i would like to be a seal in the us i am canadian what would be the easiest way to get my citizenship within the age req as a us navy seal and serve time in the navy if it is impossible to do with the amount of time i am givein i will serve for JTF2 but to me it feels as if canada just doesn't have the budget for a as good military thanks

So you're not 18 yet so let's look at your possibilities.

1) Do you have any family or VERY close family friends who are US citizens? You *may* be able to get a permanent residence and perhaps a citizenship if they adopt you. Look into this one because they may have new laws about it making it impossible.

2) Marry a US citizen. It has to be real because new laws have been put in place and they are very good at finding fake ones now. Previously if you said you were married, there wasn't a big fuss. People get married for all kinds of reasons right? Well now even if you're married for real you'll have a HARD time proving it. Right, so you're going to have to get a US citizen woman (or man if gay marriage is legal and recognized in Canada as well) and will have to date her/him for many years before finally marrying and you should have hundreds of pages of paperwork and evidence proving that you are indeed not fake... my brother's getting married (for real) with his girlfriend of 6 years and the government wants more proof. But this may not be as bad for you because you are a Canadian citizen. +1 on the easy part if you're white. Also try not to marry outside of your own race because cases where two Koreans (one non citizen and one US citizen) tried to marry there wasn't much of a fuss. If they are of different race or ethnicity, however, that raises a flag. Yep that's right. The government will tell you this is not a problem, but immigration lawyers will tell you it is a problem.

3) Go to college, get a job through whatever means you can. I am not sure about laws governing Canadians working in the US, but for the rest of the world, that means getting an H1B work visa. Getting a H1B visa works as follows:
a) You send your resume to a US company and they agree to hire you.
b) They sponsor you for an H1B through an immigration attorney.
c) When March rolls around, the attorney will file hundreds of pages worth of paperwork and submit it to the government.
d) The quota of H1Bs are picked out of a lottery. Your odds of being picked are less than 20%.
e) You have to wait until October rolls around before your H1B is effective.
f) You work at your company for 5 years. You may switch companies but I am not sure what effect that would have on your permanent residency bid.
g) You apply for a permanent residency.
h) If you get it (hope you didn't fight, speed, park in the wrong section of the road during those five years...) you can apply to join the US Navy.

When you get because you are not a citizen, your choice of MOS will be very limited. This is especially true in the Air Force and Navy where there is a lot of information sensitive MOS around. All the "cool" jobs will also be limited to citizens.
You can apparently apply for citizenship right after you have finished either boot camp or MOS school but the process time can take anywhere up to three years.

Kid, even in a good case scenario, unless you can pull off the whole getting adopted thing, you're going to try and be a SEAL at 30.

Last edited:
Right on Redneck.... Be happy about the country that has raised you, and fight for it, not for another because of the glam factor. Just because the SEALS seem to be the gucci be all and end all of war fighting, they aren't... Look closer to home and I'm sure you'll find more than enough challenges, enough job satisfaction, enough patriotism and enough chances to have somebody you can't even see shoot at you.

But what ever you do, don't go into it thinking that you'll become SF. Just being a grunt will probably be the biggest challenge of your life.

Or in my case where I can't fight for the people/community I was raised in and I have to serve in a country where I am foreign in all but paperwork!
At least my country of citizenship has a military worth half a damn.

Viper:

Canada has a good, strong military as well. They are wonderful allies. You could help us a lot there, being good for our sister country's military. For now, Seals, Rambo, Pvt. Pyle, all of that stuff, don't worry bout it. Concentrate on school now and your future will be fine.

i was just looking around and though about the JTF2 they do the same missions and since they are the best for canada i am sure they got some of the better stuff in the military so i will join the canadian navy i belive and work my ass of just to go for training with the JTF2 i hope i can do the same kind of work as a seal would in there.

Good to hear that you're thinking of sticking with the CF.

Just so you know, though. You can be any trade in the entirity of the CF and still be able to apply to JTF2 as an assaulter. It's not Navy only like the SEALs are.

However, if you really want to go Navy, I suggest becoming a member of the Ship's Boarding Party when you get your first posting to a ship (which could be anywhere from a few months to a year or so, trade dependent). That'll give you a reasonable idea of what Special Operations are like.

Had I remainded in the Navy, I was planning on doing the same...minus the application for JTF2 later on.

I agree with AikiRooster, focus on the short term right now. Worry more about the bridges you have to cross now before the ones you have to cross much later. The nearer target is the more pressing.

ok this is my plan join the army and be a combat engineer the move to combat diver and then try for JTF2 or just go for boarding team to JTF2

Back