Want to Join...What to do??

Jesus G

Hello all,

well basicly i am a 17 yr old that wants to join but i dont really know much on how to join. Do i have to finish high school? What service does what? and where can i find a recruiter to join? Also, how much is the average pay for a new recruit?

thanks if you can help

Hello all,

well basicly i am a 17 yr old that wants to join but i dont really know much on how to join. Do i have to finish high school? What service does what? and where can i find a recruiter to join? Also, how much is the average pay for a new recruit?

thanks if you can help

Just go on line to each service branch to get your answers. Simple things are you can go and talk to a recruiter now, but until you are 18 you can not enlist without parental permission. They may take you without a high school diploma but it is better to have one in anything you do.

Jesus,
#1 - Finish high school. You're 17 so you must be close; just suck it up and finish. Quitting is not something that the military is big on. If you're already a quitter now, how are you going to get through basic training?

#2 - Where are the recruiters? Really? Where aren't they?? Seriously, dial 411 and ask for the Army/Air Force/Navy/Marines recruiting office for whatever town you live in. I guarantee, there will be a listing. If not in your town, then there'll be one in the town next to you.

My son just finished basic and he got about $1200 for the first month. He was also issued a debit card with about $300 on so he could buy the basic stuff in the BX.
If you sign up for certain jobs you could get a signing bonus, but that all really depends on your test scores. Your recruiter can tell you everything you need (he wants you) to know.

Again, seriously, do your own research. Do not just believe everything that your recruiter will tell you. His job is to get you to sign up and get to Basic Training. You are a number to him. Just another slot to be filled. You obviously have a computer, use it and go to the websites for the different branches of the military and see what interests you.

The Air Force has the best base housing, the Marines have the best uniforms and the most kick ass basic training, the Navy go all over the world, and the Army is the Army. (I was Army Airborne - hoo-ah!) They're all great in their own way.

The military is a great way of life. Go for it.

For starters, you could go to http://www.military.com/ That should give you a little information about each branch. You can also Google each branch for more information.

You need to decide what type of job you want to help you decide which branch of service you want to go into.

Another option is to talk to your guidance councelor at school. He/she might even get the recruiters to come to see you at school.

Read the sticky at the top of the page. and stay in your lane.On-line searches are also very helpful. But please, please don't drop out of high school! That degree is more important than you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back