I want to join...but I'm scared.

Garfield

I'm sure this questions gets asked a-lot, but I still haven't herd a good answer. I'm 18 and I really don't have anything going for me right now, I've always been curious about joining the Military but there are some things holding me back.

1) I'm not exactly the most "in shape" person, and I know that the training is extremely tough, I honestly don't know if I could even endure something like that. I wouldn't want to put all this effort into this to have nothing happen in the long run.

2) I'm scared, I see this as one of the most scariest things I could encounter in my life. The fact that if I did join, I'd be facing death in the face everyday and just thinking about it makes me panic.

I've been really thinking about this lately, but these things are holding me back. Any advice?

Truthfully if your out of shape and having panic attacks at the mere thought of serving perhaps you should explore other options.

Answers:
1. Get on a workout program, they are all over the net, find one and stick with it.
2. Get a dog, no really if you are terrified maybe not for you, but fear is there for almost everyone, and if someone says he has never been scared and has been in the Military for more than a while he is probably a. Stupid, so dumb he is not afraid. or b. Lying

I hate to rain on your parade but there isn't really too many jobs you would do in the military where you would "face death" on a daily basis. Join the Air Force and be ground crew for a bomber sqaudron if that's your issue. They'll keep you way away from the fighting... or you could get your act together and become a tanker in the Army :mrgreen:. Taking the fight to the enemy's front door is a lot more fun.

Sounds like the Air Force would be a good fit for you if you wanna try out the military. You can get a taste of military life without actually putting yourself in harms way.

I think the honesty of the poster here is admirable. He is expressing in words what many people feel deep down. And a truthful admission of where you are is surely a prerequisite for any job in the military.

Thank you all for your input. I've never put any thought into joining the airforce, but after looking into it, I can't really say that its ruled out. But originally I was thinking more of the Army or Marines. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have been told that joining the army is a death wish. I don't know how much I believe that, but it does freak me out.

I may be out of shape, but if I do decide to enlist, I'm planning on getting back in shape a year or two prior. As for me being scared, I really don't know, I feel like this is something I need to do, but I can't get over the fact that I might end up paying for it with my life. Some people have told me that they were scared to, but they just bit their tongue and tried not to think about it. I don't know, I really feel this is the only thing holding me back. Its like I want to be right in the action, but I don't know how to handle all of this.

For the people who have served time, how did you cope with all this? I'm having a very difficult time doing so.

Well there are all kinds of benefits for you. Think of it this way you will be working for a wonderful cause. And all you have to do is get your mental strategy in boot camp. If you can get it all in order you will be just fine and my suggestion try for the NROTC scholarship. If you get it take it. It will be the best thing you ever do. BlackHawk

Thank you all for your input. I've never put any thought into joining the airforce, but after looking into it, I can't really say that its ruled out. But originally I was thinking more of the Army or Marines. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have been told that joining the army is a death wish. I don't know how much I believe that, but it does freak me out.

For the people who have served time, how did you cope with all this? I'm having a very difficult time doing so.

A death wish? I've been in the Army 11 years and I'm not dead. I'm a combat MOS and am on my 3rd tour in Iraq. We have 120 thousand troops in Iraq alone, and we have rotated off and on for most of this decade and only have about 4,500 deaths to show for it. That doesn't even take into account all the guys in Afghanistan, so obviously it is statistically not a death wish. Did someone in the Army tell you that? If it was just some other civilian, I'd say check your sources. Do you want to be in the fight or don't you? It's kind of a decision you need to make before you pick your job. You don't need a year or 2 to get in shape, the Army will take care of you in basic and AIT. If you need a little extra fitness than the next guy then they will send you to PTRP to get in better shape before you head to your unit. Either way it's not a big deal, and your own motivation and drive to get in shape will play a big part. Beleive me when I say you will be given every opportunity for success.

You need to evaluate if you think you can do a combat job or not. If you want to shuffle around paperwork and be in less danger, then that's ok. The Army needs all MOSs or else we wouldn't have those jobs. Grunts like to get paid, that's why we have finance clerks. Grunts like to eat food, that's why we have cooks. Grunts need vehicles that work so we can kill the enemy, that's why we have mechanics. You just need to make up your mind as to if you want to be the tip of the spear or the support side. I started my Army career as a mechanic and there is NO shame in it. It is honorable and I had many chances to prove myself and learn valuable job skills. I just got to the point where I couldn't take other people doing my fighting for me, and I changed to M1 tanker (which is super complex and having a mechanic background is definately good for a tanker). As a guy who started support and went to combat, I'll tell you that I do not regret it at all and it was a great choice. I've done things that have directly saved lives (civilians and soldiers) and disrupted the enemy, which is a lot more rewarding to me than fixing a vehicle. Think about it hard, but don't worry so much. It's a big decision, but trust your gut feelings and give yourself an honest evaluation of what you think you are capable of.

I may be out of shape, but if I do decide to enlist, I'm planning on getting back in shape a year or two prior. As for me being scared, I really don't know, I feel like this is something I need to do, but I can't get over the fact that I might end up paying for it with my life. Some people have told me that they were scared to, but they just bit their tongue and tried not to think about it. I don't know, I really feel this is the only thing holding me back. Its like I want to be right in the action, but I don't know how to handle all of this.

Anyone who has been in combat and tells you they weren't scared is lying. The question you have to ask yourself is if you think you can manage your fear. That's what soldiers do. They learn to manage their fears and complete their objectives. Having lead slung at your head is a scary thing no matter who you are. I commend you for admitting your fear, but you should know that everyone has those same fears at one point or another.
I coped by remembering what I was fighting for. I was fighting for my family and friends, innocent people I didn't even know, and for myself.
Some people join the Army just for the benefits and pay. In my experience, those are the ones who can't cope. If you truely want to serve your country because you love it, I think you'll be suprised how easily you overcome your fears.

Well after looking further into it I think I've made the decision, I still haven't figured out if I want to join the Army or Marines, but I do know that I want to join and help. I'm trying to find a buddy whod like to join to, that way I can have support if I start getting second thoughts, and someone to push me that extra mile.

I really hope I'm making the right decision. My heart says that I am, but my brain keeps telling me to think about it more. I'll just spend this year getting back in shape and looking more into it, and hopefully by next year I will be ready:box:

Any tips?

Garfield said:
I'm scared, I see this as one of the most scariest things I could encounter in my life. The fact that if I did join, I'd be facing death in the face everyday and just thinking about it makes me panic.

I've been really thinking about this lately, but these things are holding me back. Any advice?
If you are REALLY scared, then I would suggest that you NOT JOIN the military. While a little fear is okay while on the battlefield (it causes you to watch what you are doing and ensures you don't turn and run the other way), excessive fear and panic can cost the lives of others. While I can sympathize with you, I am more concerned for the lives of my fellow warriors. I have personally seen the harm that absolute fear and panic on the part of a single soldier can cause (we were fortunate it didn't cause the death of others .. even though some were wounded that wouldn't have if fear and panic hadn't caused a young man to freeze).

If what you are experiencing is JUST doubt and not REAL fear or panic, then follow the advice that you have been given by my fellow veterans.

Last edited:
If you are REALLY scared, then I would suggest that you NOT JOIN the military. While a little fear is okay while on the battlefield (it causes you to watch what you are doing and ensures you don't turn and run the other way), excessive fear and panic can cost the lives of others. While I can sympathize with you, I am more concerned for the lives of my fellow warriors. I have personally seen the harm that absolute fear and panic on the part of a single soldier can cause (we were fortunate it didn't cause the death of others .. even though some were wounded that wouldn't have if fear and panic hadn't caused a young man to freeze).

If what you are experiencing is JUST doubt and not REAL fear or panic, then follow the advice that you have been given by my fellow veterans.

Yeah I understand what you mean, and yeah I'm really scared. But that wouldn't hold me back from doing my job. I know that once you're there, there is no room for fear. I've been coping with it more and more. I understand that I have to protect my life, but more importantly I have to protect the life of my fellow soldiers. So yeah, I'm going to be really scared the first time, but I know I'll snap out of it.

But still I'm split between Marines and the Army, it seems like alot of you are telling me to go Army, but my close friends have told me Marines. And for some reason my brain is telling me Marines.

Soon I'm going to talk to a recruiter for the Marines, I had a friend in the Marines and he suggested it to me. I'm having a bunch of information sent to me about it, and I've still been talking to people about it. But still I'm split between Marines and the Army, it seems like alot of you are telling me to go Army, but my close friends have told me Marines.

Hopefully by next year I'll know exactly what I want to do and be in the shape/mindset to do it.

What makes you say that?

I'm pretty sure he's just kidding. The Marines are a great organization, but the Army offers more career choices and more spohisticated equipment. You don't see the Marines in the kind of tanks that I use, because their budget doesn't support it. The Marines are moree infantry focused than the Army, so if you want to be a grunt then it's not a bad choice. I personally have to be around armor to be happy, so the Army is a better place for me to be. Think about what you are looking to do, job wise then look at each organization to see which one has the career choices that you are interested in. As a side note, you make rank faster in the Army, which means more money.

Back