USMC or ARMY?

CoreX259

Hey, my name's Ryan and I am 19 years old. Tried the whole college scene and finished 1 year with 24 college credits accrued. I don't think college is for me right now, I feel so unchallenged and like I need a higher purpose and dedication in my life. I look towards the Marines and the Army. I come from a military family, with family in the USAF and the US Navy. Now, I have done countless hours of research, I mean weeks and weeks, talked to recruiters etc, but I am so stuck on a decision so I am hoping from informed opinions from current or retired marines or army members. The MOS's I am interested in the most is Either a Sniper for the Army or a Scout Sniper for the USMC :sniper: Then again I also am looking for something really really challenging and something that will give me much discipline in my life and a great sense of pride and confidence and will carry myself very highly and being a part of a brotherhood for an eternity. Other MOS's I am interested in is Combat Engineer, or becoming a Recon Marine or Ranger in the Army. The only thing holding me back mostly would be, the fear of death and getting over the fear of being shot in the head :???: Yes I understand it is a part of the military and it happens but I'm sure others might have shared this fear going in but got over it very quickly once they realized they are there for a higher purpose :2guns:Any information will help so much! Thanks!

Search function search function search function!

FOR THE FINAL TIME, BEING A SNIPER IS NOT AN MOS IN THE UNITED STATES ARMY! The rest could be easily accessed by typing in your query and getting the million threads on here that have been dedicated over and over and over to you kids who expect others to do your own research for you.

Come in here with an actual question and then you will get more dialogue...AFTER doing some actual research.

So the idea of shooting unsuspecting people in the neck appeals to you?
It sounds like you have some romantic notions about being a soldier or a Marine.

Have you spoken with combat veterans about what its really like out there. About being so damn scared that you s*** and piss yourself. The smell of death - a nauseating stench of blood, feces and intestines. The sight of the mutilated corpse when they have been blown up by grenades.

You should think carefully before choosing this path.

And a little advice. Don´t use gun shooting smileys when you make such a post, it makes you look frivolous.

I have a sudden urge to ask................................

Is Sniper an MOS in the United States Army...............

:p

I can't contain it anymore...

But the 34 minute episode of me laughing water through my nose from reading another one of these bits of impulsive dialouge and it's attached responses grounded in common sense overwhelms me.

Last edited:
I am the new guy here guys but I fear the OP might be one of those *super killer men*, one who has played to many of them new-fangled video games........... we had a guy in Vietnam who could just not wait to shoot someone............ he got his azz blown up for not listening.. didn't kill him but he went home with some big chunks missing... I can almost hear his war story now. We were happy to see him go.... was a real danger to, not the enemy, to US. :O

So the idea of shooting unsuspecting people in the neck appeals to you?
It sounds like you have some romantic notions about being a soldier or a Marine.

Have you spoken with combat veterans about what its really like out there. About being so damn scared that you s*** and piss yourself. The smell of death - a nauseating stench of blood, feces and intestines. The sight of the mutilated corpse when they have been blown up by grenades.

You should think carefully before choosing this path.

And a little advice. Don´t use gun shooting smileys when you make such a post, it makes you look frivolous.

I like the way this person thinks more realistically than most people. This comment makes people rethink their career path in the military. I was talking to a person who used to be in the air force and he gave me a promising goal. He told me to go to college and go through ROTC at the same time. After that, go to the military as an officer. You will have a better experience and more possibilities in the military. You will already have a higher pay grade and the education you get before the military is free. After you retire from the military use that education to get a job out of the military. Long story short, you get a good amount of money and an experience you can't venture through back home. I hope this helps a lot of people who are thinking of enlisting in the military.

What are the pros and cons of army vrs. USMC? I would like to serve as one or the other. Right now I am thinking USMC would be better for me and would be a better way for me personally to serve.

There is nothing heroic about getting shot anyone can do it ( this pertains to everyday operations ) , what you would learn in the military is how to avoid getting shot and shooting the other guy instead .

What are the pros and cons of army vrs. USMC? I would like to serve as one or the other. Right now I am thinking USMC would be better for me and would be a better way for me personally to serve.

The Marines and the Army both have mission types that they can handle. There's a lot of horse hockey out there about Marines being better than Army or whatever. The truth is that both have to work together, as often the two find themselves supporting the other or in a tight spot with the other. Of course the Marines fall under the Navy, so its possible to stationed "afloat" or otherwise on a ship, so there's that.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to get out of it. Career? Or one and done? Somewhere in the middle? And I will say this, alot of the time it comes down to where your personal loyalties lay. A lot of people go one way or the other simply based on their personal opinions of the two.

It must be "easier" to make a career in the army. The marine corps is a smaller force than the army, hence more competition to reach certain ranks. I might be wrong so correct me if I am.

Right. In Wikipedia have I read 494,000 soldiers in Army.

And 195,000 soldiers in Marin Corps I known.

In future there gonna bring down with 54000 or 44000 in U.S. Army the gerneral say.

Back