US Infantryman Ammo load out -

Read more about This picture is of a British Para's standard load. The three cardboard boxes are three days rations.

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

March 2nd, 2004   #1
bandit

US Infantryman Ammo load out info

Hi,
Sorry if these seems a stupid question. I have done search after search and can not get an answer to this question, so I thought I would ask you guys.
How many M16 mags would a US infantry man carry into combat, this is in alice webbing or LBE/LBV etc no rucksack/backpack.
I cant ask a US soldier this as I am in the UK. but I would like this to be answered by a serving or recently released serviceman please.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

-
AVG Advent calendar: daily offers
March 2nd, 2004   #2
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

How many would you carry? and why do you want to know how much a U.S. infantry carries?

If world war 3 is fought with nuclear weapons, then world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.
--Albert Einstein

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
IF YOU AINT AMMO YOU AINT SHIT

March 2nd, 2004   #3
bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunitionsAirman
How many would you carry? and why do you want to know how much a U.S. infantry carries?
How many would I carry? The same amount as the real guys that's why I asked. Why I want to know is, I am part of a re enactment group in the UK we are not sure of the correct amount of mags carried hence the question?
Sorry if it seems a dumb question but we want the load out to be correct.

March 2nd, 2004   #4
diplomatic_means

What are you reenacting? It might be helpful to the people on the board to know what kind of soldier you would be acting out. Amount of ammo will vary between the various kinds of soldiers. If I remember right the army also allows soldiers to carry a few other supplies of whatever they would choose such as extra rations, or extra ammo, etc.

March 2nd, 2004   #5
bandit

We are going to be reenacting as standard US Infantry (not sure which regiment yet). So we will try to look as standard as possible. We do not want to go special forces or anything like that. Hope this helps.
Also we would be going for a *light* load out so no backpacks etc just a *short range patrol* kinda look.

March 2nd, 2004   #6
Redneck

Sorry, I have little to no infantry training, but the LBE is usually outfitted with two three magazine ammo pouches, and I believe in Vietnam they still used the 30 round magazines (which were never filled completely as it wore out the spring and caused feed and jam problems), so I'd say that puts you at (with say 25 rounds per mag and one mag in the weapon) 175 rounds per soldier.

You'll probably want a second opinion, but that's correct to the best of my knowledge.

No boom, no boom, no boom, Amen.

March 2nd, 2004   #7
GuyontheRight

in Vietnam they still used the 30 round magazines

I thought most used 20s in 'Nam...

March 2nd, 2004   #8
Redneck

Like I said, I don't know for sure, but if you look at photographs of our troops in Vietnam, they are using 30 round mags. So I figured that was a bit of a hint .

March 3rd, 2004   #9
dragon_master_gunner

This has nothing to do with Vietnam, but Basic Load in this AOR is 210 rounds. 6 in ammo puches on LBV/LBE, 1 on standby in cargo pocket. When we go "Amber", magazine is loaded in the weapon. "Red" - round goes in the chamber, ready to fight.

\"Each man will charge forward to the very end, irrespective of the cost in casualties. There will be no halt and no retreat. There will only be the assault and the advance. - Gen Israel Tal Israel,1967\"

March 3rd, 2004   #10
bandit

Thanks for the replies guys. We will now stock up on LBE/LBV's.
Gary.

Tags
alice, combat, question, rucksack/backpack, search

MilitaryClothing.com