About US embassy receives bomb threat
|February 17th, 2005||#1|
| || |
US embassy receives bomb threat info
By Rob Taylor
February 17, 2005
THE heavily fortified US Embassy in Jakarta was on alert today after its staff received a bomb threat.
The threat was made in a telephone call this morning, an embassy spokesman said.
“Security staff searched the grounds but we found nothing,” spokesman Max Kwak said.
The US Embassy faces the city's main park, across which stands Indonesia's presidential palace.
It is guarded by armed Indonesian police, security staff and US Marines.
Security has been upgraded at the embassy since last year's suicide bombing at the Australian Embassy in Jakarta, which killed 10 people.
Elite Indonesian counter-terrorism police are still hunting the masterminds of the Australian embassy attack, believed to be Malaysian master bombmaker Azahari Husin and Jemaah Islamiah suicide bomb recruiter Noordin Top.
The pair are also blamed for the 2003 bombing of the JW Marriott hotel in Jakarta and the 2002 Bali bombings.
Some more words of wisdom from LIPS