The US Army's 15 month enlistment program

Duty Honor Country

The Army has just came out with a 15 month enlistment program

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/arms_usa_recruiting_dc

I really do not care for this program one bit. The enlistment only covers 3 months of training and 1 year in the regular army. First off, it takes quite a while to mold a new soldier into a good soldier. Lets say this takes at least 6 months (with me it was about a year). The last 2 months of a soldier's enlistment is spent getting ready to get back into the civilian world. That gives 3 months of having a decent soldier able to pass by as a real asset.

Most soldiers come in as a private. You normally spend about 12-18 months as a PVT or a PFC. If a soldier comes in on the 15 month program, there is no chance for him or her to experience the army as a leader. Life in the Army is a bit different when you are not placed on details on a regular basis.

If I use myself as an example, you can see the weakness in this program. I came in the Army in June of 97. After 4 months of training I was sent to Ft. Campbell. Those first few months were not my best. I had a dick of a squad leader and my unit lost my orders for promotion. I finally started to get the hang of things right about the time my 15 months would be up if I had enlisted under the new program. I would have gotten out saying "boy did that suck...hello civilian life.

[/url]

It may not be the best idea, but it might attract more people because they don't have to commit themselves to 2 or more years. Also, with more soldiers possibly enlisting because of this, the retention percentage may increase because it wouldn't have been so "miserable" as a longer enlistment.

PLUS, with the current war going on, they need as many fresh recruits as possible and can always stop loss them. That's probably what will happen to most of them because they will go to a unit getting ready to deploy, and 90 days out they are stop lossed.

They also started a new reenlistment program where you can renenlist anywhere from 24 to 18 months out from ETS at the needs of the Army. Then 18 months and on, you have your options like you would at 1 year.

This could possibly keep people in longer.... not sure though.

Another possible positive is that it may encourage people who are uncertain they could deal with being in the Army and so this would be a way to "get their feet wet". After the 15 months they would know whether or not they could make a go of it and then re-enlist. I undertand your reservations Doody, but I think in these days days of greater troop deployments that it is a good thing overall. It's just a pilot program so I'm sure it will be well evalutated. It isn't being offered everywhere and this way they can see if it works or not. My guess is the positive I mentioned will work. I'm sure alot of young people see 4 years as an eternity for something they have no real understanding of.

Charge 7 said:
I'm sure alot of young people see 4 years as an eternity for something they have no real understanding of.

This is my dilemma except I have a good idea about what it would be like. I wouldn't sign up as anything other than high-speed but that is a very hard life, 4 years of it makes you think. I can see how 15 months might make it seem more reasonable, if you don't like it you can still get out.

Well certainly that program would only be for people who go in the rear with the gear, you can't just take someone straight out of 3 month basic and toss him into iraq for a year.

Better deal is a 3 month basic + 6 month MOS training + 1 tour of duty.

Whispering Death said:
Well certainly that program would only be for people who go in the rear with the gear, you can't just take someone straight out of 3 month basic and toss him into iraq for a year.

Better deal is a 3 month basic + 6 month MOS training + 1 tour of duty.

Similar things have been done before. During the Vietnam war many of us went through 16 weeks of basic and AIT and subsequently sent into combat for a 1year tour (and not in the rear). That adds up to 16 months so it's very similar in time to this new plan.
I should say though that there was a world of difference between the military in that war and the military during the Gulf War however. But that's a whole other topic for discussion.
Doody, I think your concerns are valid. If this program proves to be successful in boosting the numbers, the quality of the training would certainly need to be addressed as well. Retention of quality people is another problem.
I'm sure it will all work out whether the Army implements this program of comes up with a better plan. If nothing else, soldiers are always flexible. You know the old adage, "improvise, adapt and overcome" :)

I was told the 15 month enlistment definately doesnt include training and thats probablly what i'm taking.

FutureDevilDog said:
Poorlag said:
I was told the 15 month enlistment definately doesnt include training and thats probablly what i'm taking.

How can that be? You cant have no training.

It means that your training time does not count towards your 15 months. Once you complain AIT, you have an additional 15 months.

Dear Members,

The 15 months according to ARMY TIMES only starts after basic training and some AIT.

But the big killer of 15 months, 24 months, etc is that 8 year obligation. Yes, it is law and everyone puts there initials on it, but all most to a man everyone thought it applied to officers or during a declared state of war. Not a contiuious war that might last for decades as now.

Many I think would enlist for two years (ie like they volunteered for the draft in the Vietnam War) if they knew that after that two years they were free of any chance of a recall to service unless Congress passed by a 3/4 vote allowing it.

But that 8 year obligation is the killer. And those anti-war groups that are today dodging the recruiters go out of their way to point this out.

Jack E. Hammond

Back