US Army recruited an autistic teenager as Cav Scout

Duty Honor Country

higher this is lower, WTF over?:-?

Army Releases Autistic Teen

Parents Say Army Ignored Their Complaints Until Newspaper Article

(CBS/AP) An 18-year-old Portland man with autism, whose recruitment renewed questions about Army practices, was released Tuesday from his enlistment contract.

Jared Guinther signed up for one of the Army's most dangerous jobs, cavalry scout, after being heavily recruited. He passed medical and other examinations. He was scheduled to leave for basic training in August.

The Army announced Tuesday that it decided he didn't meet enrollment criteria, two days after The Oregonian newspaper reported his parents' objections.

Gaylan Johnson, spokesman for the United States Military Entrance Processing Command, said Guinther's disability was not disclosed in the medical exam and information regarding his condition was not available to the command until after the enrollment process was complete. The command oversees medical exams for the Army.

Guinther's mother told The Oregonian she informed recruiters about her son's disability by telephone as Jared was being tested, but that he was accepted for enlistment anyway. Family and friends say anyone who reviewed the young man's medical or school records would know he was unfit for military service.

"Jared would play with buttons for hours on end," she told the Oregonian. "He'd play with one toy for days. Loud noises bothered him. He was scared to death of the toilet flushing, the lawn mower."

An investigation is under way into whether recruiters improperly concealed Guinther's condition.

Guinther started talking about joining the military after a recruiter stopped him and offered him a $4,000 signing bonus and $67,000 for college, his parents say. His parents said he didn't know there was a war in Iraq until last fall, shortly after he spoke with a recruiter, and asked them about it.

The Army has been under intense pressure to recruit, and the number of recruiting abuses hit record levels in recent years.

Last year, the Army halted recruiting efforts for one day in May, a stand-down to allow commanders to emphasize proper conduct among recruiters. There are 8,200 recruiters for the Army and the Army Reserve. The Army relieved 44 recruiters from duty and admonished 369 last year.

In response to the Guinther case, Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon complained to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

"To place someone in his condition in a combat role would create a wholly inappropriate and unnecessary risk of harm – not only to him, but all other members of his unit who would have to rely on him," Blumenauer wrote in his letter to the Pentagon.

Blumenauer believes this is only one example of recruiting problems and wants the military to launch a broad investigation.

"I am concerned that the military has created a situation where recruiters are pressured to act unethically in order to successfully fulfill their orders," his letter reads.

In Guinther's case, the Army had heavily recruited him even though his disability should have disqualified him from enlisting.

When Guinther's parents found out he had enlisted, they contacted the Portland U.S. Army Recruiting Station where he signed up. His parents say the Army did not initially respond to their concerns.

With the Guinthers' permission, The Oregonian faxed Guinther's medical records to the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion commander, who ordered an investigation.

On Tuesday, the Army said it could not discuss the case further because the investigation is under way.

Gary Stauffer, spokesman for the Portland Army Recruiting Battalion, said the Army anticipates concluding the investigation this week.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/12/national/main1613987.shtml

Hoo-ah! I wonder if the recruiter would be willing to serve in the same line unit with this person that he deemed fit for joining his Army.

It happens. Obviously the kid was able to prove functional enough to get through the MEPS physical.

I see no reason for the media to attempt to vilify the recruiter and military recruiting (as they have been doing over this).

Just discharge the kid and go on. Too much friggin' drama.

Schwarzkopf talks about this exact same problem in his book, that the US Army was having serious issues in the late 70's and early 80's with recruitment and retention. Fascinating stuff from an organizational behavior perspective.

PJ24 said:
It happens. Obviously the kid was able to prove functional enough to get through the MEPS physical.

I see no reason for the media to attempt to vilify the recruiter and military recruiting (as they have been doing over this).

Just discharge the kid and go on. Too much friggin' drama.

Amen to that, let's move on!

The kig wanted to serve, and passed MEPS. Stuff happens and he is EPTS home.

'Nuff Said...

Last edited:
G Connor said:
Still makes you wonder. Are the standards that low?

No. His condition was not listed on his medical. It was obviously not serious enough for the MEPS doctors to pick up on it. Social ineptness/awkwardness, which is what mild cases of Autism can seem like, is not a disqualifer for military service.

Last edited:
You should have seen some of the youths they called up for their National Service over here, you didn't have to be nuts to get called up but it helped

AJChenMPH said:
Schwarzkopf talks about this exact same problem in his book, that the US Army was having serious issues in the late 70's and early 80's with recruitment and retention. Fascinating stuff from an organizational behavior perspective.
Not to beat on a dead horse, but just to prove that it's been a problem in the past:

"...the Modern Volunteer Army campaign was still having trouble attracting first-rate recruits. The summer before, there had been a big scandal when the Army had discovered that recruiters, under pressure to make their quotas, had been cutting corners for years -- coaching applicants, giving out copies of the entrance exams, even helping people hide the kinds of felony convictions that would have made them ineligible for service." -- GEN H. Norman Schwarzkopf, US Army (Ret.)

This was back in 1981. It basically goes to show that the Army (which, from my naive eyes, seems to have the most problems with recruitment of the four major military services) needs to re-look at its recruiting goals/policies and how they drive their recruiters to sometimes not do the right thing.

It was happening in 1986 when I was going through MEPS... not just the Army but the Marine recruiters in Colorado Springs were doing it. The only ones I know weren't having this problem was the Air Farce as they had a one year waiting list at the time to go to Basic and when I told them I wanted Pararescue they swallowed a laugh and said try the Army... so I did. Recruiters are in a tight spot and I was lied to by mine as well but ya know shame on me for not researching it better and for trusting him. He had to hit his number for promotion and if he rolled too many donuts he would be booted from the service. Who wants that kind of pressure for your job? Not everyone is cut out for sales and I really don't blame the guys that cut a corner once in a while to preserve the careers they have on the line.

I really don't think you can compare the two (original story and what AJ has posted). One is laziness/lack of ethics, etc, the other is someone managing to get under the wire and fool everyone. There is no evidence that indicates the recruiter even knew the kid had autisim, and since it wasn't on his med review, the MEPS doctors obviously didn't know either. He scored well enough on his ASVAB and passed the physical (which many healthy kids can't do).

I don't think it's fair or even right to compare this recruiter to those (and all branches have them) that are unwilling to preform their job to standards. Two completely different circumstances. It's easy to smear a guy by insinuating he did something unethical when you don't have to look him in the face.

Back