Ugh...I have to learn how to swim

Ramjet

While doing my "homework" regarding joining the Airforce, I came across an Officer's Training handout [yes, it's official because I obtained it from the official airforce site]. Amongst one of the physical requirements I had to meet to pass OT was a 200m swim.

Ugh!

I wonder why? I didn't think there would be much chance I would be near water?

(PS: I can't swim very well. Looks like I'll have to take swimming lessons this coming summer. Sigh.)

You never know......what happens if you become a pilot and you have to eject over the Atlantic?

I'm a decent swimmer, but I suck at treading water. :(

Considering that 70% of the world is covered in water, there is a good chance you will be flying over water at some time. Don't worry though, if you take swimming lessons you should be able to swim better. :)

Thanks both for your replies...it's given me some clarification about the issue. Although it still begs the question: if your plane is shot down over ocean, wouldn't there be a higher chance of me dying first, before crashing into the water? :lol:

Ramjet said:
Thanks both for your replies...it's given me some clarification about the issue. Although it still begs the question: if your plane is shot down over ocean, wouldn't there be a higher chance of me dying first, before crashing into the water? :lol:

Well, let's say you live...It'd be rather ironic to have your butt saved once from dying in a plane, only to drown moments later.

@FDD: :shock: Wow!

@CDT: Point taken. I guess the military have to prepare its people for any worst-case scenarios, no matter its actual likelihood.

By the way, I have the opposite problem with you. I can tread water but I swim terribly. When I was still in high school my PE teacher couldn't understand why, as I was a good runner. According to her, good runners also make good swimmers...yet there I was floundering like a half-drowned cat in the pool.

-Ramet

I was the same way. I blieve it is psycological. ....just gotta try it...drown a little, try again, drown a little less...until you only drown occasionally

migidarra said:
I was the same way. I blieve it is psycological. ....just gotta try it...drown a little, try again, drown a little less...until you only drown occasionally

I think you should keep swimming until you never drown :D

its fear thats stopping you. go join a local swimming club or smth, they will get you so you can swim till you dont drown!

when you do swim, keep your body as horizontal in the water as possible, dont let your legs drop down. this means you are less streamlined so you have to do more work to move, and also, instead of just pushing across the water, you are actually pushing up and out, so you are wasting energy

I have issues floating in general...Actually, here's a pretty funny, but embarassing boot camp story.

We had to pass swim quals and one of them was to tread water for 5 minutes (IIRC). Our swimming instructor/Training Officer was an active Lt. and served in the Army SF (during RT she actually got sent to the Middle East to train soldiers, forgot what country).

Well, she had us get in the water and start treading, and I realized then that I sucked a treading water, about 1 minute in, I started going lower and lower and decided to pull out and admit defeat. As I was making my way to the ladder, I began struggling, especially with everyone else kicking me under water. She instantly saw me and through the life saver and goes "Grab it!" and I yelled back, "I'm good!" and I bobbed a little bit and she goes "GRAB IT!" So I decided not to have my ass kicked then and there....grabbed the preserver, and sat that one out.

I'm so glad I was my RT company's LPO, otherwise I would've gotten so much crap.

I had a think about everyone's responses and I agree that some of why I can't swim is psychological. I almost drowned as a young child and it's weird how water still freaks me out.

Locke said:
its fear thats stopping you. go join a local swimming club or smth, they will get you so you can swim till you dont drown!

when you do swim, keep your body as horizontal in the water as possible, dont let your legs drop down. this means you are less streamlined so you have to do more work to move, and also, instead of just pushing across the water, you are actually pushing up and out, so you are wasting energy

Thanks for the advice, Locke. I am thinking of joining a local swimming club, and when actually in the water I'll keep your words in mind.

I actually would like to learn how to swim, because it is a great form of exercise. None of the impact that can cause injuries.

there are heaps of learn to swim classes around for all ages so you shouldn't have a problem finding a group you like.

learn to breath on both sides, this helps later on when you are up there with thorpey - as you dont breath for a certain number of strokes and the abilty to breath on both sides helps a lot

other than learn to swim classes there are the squads. which you have to be careful and ask what times they have thier sessions, they tend to be really early in the morning or in the evening. you dont want to have to get up at 5:30 if you could be going at 19:30!!

Ramjet, Locke's advice in his first post to you was good advice. Join a local pool and practice practice practice. I was below average for sea trials in swimming department. Old Jewish ladies who swam as some club, use to out-do me in the local civilian pool even when I was 20. But practice improved my speed and numbers of laps.

Hope you make it ;)

Back