U.S. Army pistol tests

Remington 1858

Once again the U.S. Army is conducting a series of exhaustive and expensive tests to adopt a new handgun. Whether they will have the money to purchase one after spending a reported seventeen million dollars on the test, remains to be seen.
Some sources have reported that the Smith and Wesson entry has already been eliminated, although the reason(s) has not been disclosed.

Sturm - Ruger did not submit an entry. That's surprising because the Ruger American Pistol was touted as a handgun developed in hopes of winning a military contract.
The specification called for a "modular" handgun, one that can be altered in size by interchanging a central "chassis" into a variable - size polymer outer shell.
The Sig - Sauer model 320 handgun is still in the running and is the only truly modular handgun in the competition.

Other competitors are said to include Glock and the Beretta M9A3, an up - dated version of the pistol already in general issue. The caliber will remain 9mm.

If there was an Olympics for nonsense this would win a gold medal. By this date there have been a number of pistol tests conducted by many different organizations and everything is known about many of the 9mm pistols on the market. It's time to purchase pistols as Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) items.
The procurement machine has run amok. They would conduct million dollar tests to select the optimum brand of toilet tissue.

i've owned a Glock 19, a very accurate weapon and a SIG-Sauer 320. Either would be fine. I'd perhaps give the edge to the SIG.

Oops. My bad! the Gendarmerie Nacional of France adopted the Sig - Pro or Sig 2022 pistol, not the 320 by the same company.

Back