Turkey now in the war

Remington 1858

Turkey has now entered into the regional conflict. The Turkish Armed Forces are highly rated. We will see if they live up to their reputation. I think the Turkish leaders see this as a legitimate use of force not only for self-defense against a real threat on their borders, but an opportunity to re-establish Turkey as a regional power in the mold of the Ottoman Empire. Back in the good old days (or bad old days, depending on your viewpoint) when the Turks went on the warpath, the world trembled.

Turkey and ISIS

Turkey has now entered into the regional conflict. The Turkish Armed Forces are highly rated. We will see if they live up to their reputation. I think the Turkish leaders see this as a legitimate use of force not only for self-defense against a real threat on their borders, but an opportunity to re-establish Turkey as a regional power in the mold of the Ottoman Empire. Back in the good old days (or bad old days, depending on your viewpoint) when the Turks went on the warpath, the world trembled.

Don't forget that for the last 100 years of the Ottoman empire they were called the "sick old man of Europe". In the Crimean War France, Sardinia and England had to come to their aid. In WW1 Germany had to prop Turkey up. They have a good military presently with Nato and European connections. However other than tightening up the Borders, it's not apparent how much they plan to do. No talk of sending troops at the moment.

Well, in their day, ( the 15th,16th century) they were the holy terror of Europe. They besieged Vienna twice, captured Constantinople, destroyed the Byzantine and a couple of other empires. The Janissaries raped,tortured, killed and burned their way all across Central Europe. Mothers used to frighten their children by warning them, " if you aren't good the Turks will get you". We can only hope modern Turks are as ferocious as their ancestors.

Turkey has a very fine line to walk here though, as much as they don't want ISIS on their borders they also do not want to encourage the Kurds into statehood either.

War in Kobani could be a milestone in ME crisis. Its depended on how much Kurds do resistance in defensing their city.

They are lightly armed mountain fighters going against tanks and artillery, you figure it out.
Also the bombing has to stepped way up using the nearby Turkish air bases rather than have the planes way out in the Persian Gulf. If they wanted to the US could virtually wipe out every piece of ISIS hardware and carpet bomb ISIS itself using B-52's.

The Turkish government is now dithering, attempting to extract more concessions from the U.S. before committing Turkish ground forces. High ranking U.S. officials are going to Turkey to find out what is going on. I certainly hope they don't knuckle under to extortionist demands. The Turks want to get rid of the Assad regime. I would think that Washington would have learned it's lesson in Iraq. Better the devil you know. In any case, Turkey has more to lose in the short term than anyone else if ISIL winds up in control of their border area. Of course, it's possible that the Turks are simply waiting for ISIL to cut the Kurds down to size before they intervene. Turkey is playing a dangerous game. There are many possible outcomes from their strategy and only one of them is good.

Yes but the airbases in Turkey are critical. Complete access to the nearby Turkish air bases would allow the US to station fighters and heavy bombers right in the neighborhood. Instead of a few fighters way out in the Gulf. It they do so they can bomb the crap out of ISIS wiping out all there hardware, infrastructure and a lot of the fighters themselves. This will not end ISIS but can cripple ISIS militarily.
Turkey needs to grant us access and the US has to decide not to play Patti cake with the bombing using the B-52's and the fighters for strategic bombing.
This is what brought N. Vietnam to it's knees and went a long way to bringing Saddam Hussein down.

Personally due to political complications I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey doesn't commit troops.

Last edited:
At Gallipoli during WW[ the Turks kicked the Empires ass big time the Australian troops bore the brunt of that fiasco . My question IS will the Turks and ISIS mix it up .

B-52 attacks are only good on stationary targets the B-52 is not a tactical air craft any way you slice it boots a lot of boots on the ground is the only option but not a solution .

B-52 attacks are only good on stationary targets the B-52 is not a tactical air craft any way you slice it boots a lot of boots on the ground is the only option but not a solution .

With AWAK's radar we map out all they hardware and blow it away using tactical strikes from jets and cruise missiles. Then we let the major ISIS encampments have it full scale wit the B-52's. This will not eliminate ISIS but it will cripple them removing their ability to conduct conventional warfare, decimating the organization.

Ground forces would likely be needed to root out the remnants. Together between massive air strikes and a well trained ground presence. I believe ISIS could be eliminated. They are not the caliber of our troops if we were to cleanup the dirtbags.

Back