Is it true that Women cant join the Us army for a combat role? -

Read more about Originally Posted by Wallabies How reflective of the job. :P Well you know how the army likes to prepare for the unseen ^^ I can understand vocabulary, mathematics a litt

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

November 26th, 2009   #1
Britney

Is it true that Women cant join the Us army for a combat role? info

I have been trying to do a lot of research ( my google-fu is weak..) and from what im getting, girls can't join the military ( United States) for a combat oriented MOS. Is that true that i wouldn't be allowed to fight?

November 26th, 2009   #2
Bullinar

Define "fight". You are correct women are not allowed in Combat MOS's, however, they still can see combat. A local ARNG recruiter near me was a 31B by MOS and she spent a year in Iraq as a gunner on a Humvee. For more research may I suggest goarmy.com ?

--
November 26th, 2009   #3
Britney

Well aim down iron sites and squeeze one off at the bad guy is my definition of fighting.. I was looking at 11b ( infantry) on that site and it said it wasn't applicable to Women.. Why not? : s

November 27th, 2009   #4
John Lydon

Women are not allowed to enlist as 11B's. The reason they can't is because congress passed a law saying they couldn't. Why did congress pass that law? Not sure but I do have a theory. Consider this, you join as an 11B and go to war. Your battle buddy gets hit and needs evac'd pronto. It's up to all 110 - 150 lbs. (just guessing an average females weight) of you to carry your gear and rifle, 200 lb. fallen comrade, and his gear and rifle (because you can't leave it behind unless you want the enemy shooting at you with it) 1 1/2 miles up a hill to the evac site. I don't want to say it couldn't happen, but I'll say I don't want to be the one to test it.
Also, a platoon is a cohesive group. What would a females presence do to to 20 - 30 guys who haven't seen anything resembling a female in 9+ months? I know it doesn't sound fair but that's the way things are, like it or not.
Finally, something that most females don't consider when crying foul at not being able to join, would you really want to be a female POW??

November 27th, 2009   #5
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lydon
Women are not allowed to enlist as 11B's. The reason they can't is because congress passed a law saying they couldn't. Why did congress pass that law? Not sure but I do have a theory. Consider this, you join as an 11B and go to war. Your battle buddy gets hit and needs evac'd pronto. It's up to all 110 - 150 lbs. (just guessing an average females weight) of you to carry your gear and rifle, 200 lb. fallen comrade, and his gear and rifle (because you can't leave it behind unless you want the enemy shooting at you with it) 1 1/2 miles up a hill to the evac site. I don't want to say it couldn't happen, but I'll say I don't want to be the one to test it.
Also, a platoon is a cohesive group. What would a females presence do to to 20 - 30 guys who haven't seen anything resembling a female in 9+ months? I know it doesn't sound fair but that's the way things are, like it or not.
Finally, something that most females don't consider when crying foul at not being able to join, would you really want to be a female POW??
I'm afraid I have to disagree. I've seen men and women working & training cohesively in combat and non-combat roles. In the CF at least, as long as both genders pull their weight there is no need for gender specific Military Occupations. Would you rather have the 150 pound woman dragging your sorry arse up the hill, or a potentially weaker and less fit male simple because he has dangly bits between his legs? I'm going to go with whoever can save my ass best. The male vs. female thing doesn't really come into it.

One theory I have heard often is that female POWs might be mistreated more by their captors because of the religious beliefs of the region. That said, everyone should know the risks and be willing to take them.

Another "idea" is that one man can father many children in a short time. But pregnancy lasts 9 months - yielding only one baby. Thus women are more essential to the survival of the nation. Not exactly a brilliant argument for the wars being fought right now - but a valid argument.

FWIW, excluding women from combat roles seems more than a little bit sexist. Every soldier signs a blank cheque payable to their nation for an amount up to and including their life. Being male or female makes no difference...except in how cute the signature is.

November 27th, 2009   #6
John Lydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
I'm afraid I have to disagree. I've seen men and women working & training cohesively in combat and non-combat roles. In the CF at least, as long as both genders pull their weight there is no need for gender specific Military Occupations. Would you rather have the 150 pound woman dragging your sorry arse up the hill, or a potentially weaker and less fit male simple because he has dangly bits between his legs? I'm going to go with whoever can save my ass best. The male vs. female thing doesn't really come into it.
Not sure how things run in Canada, but your not going to find too many 11B's that are scrawny 150 pounders in the US Army. Every 11B has to pass a very demanding physical fitness test. Do I think if a woman could pass the test she should be allowed to fight? Sure I do. But how much money and time is wasted training hundreds of female recruits just to have to retrain them when all but 3 or 4 fail the PT test. It just makes sense to not screw with the chemistry of the most powerful fighting force in the world.

November 28th, 2009   #7
Bullinar

If men and women both pulled their weight equally, then why aren't they allowed on subs? Because back to Mr. Lydon's point, when men get around women, things happen. Disrupting the cohesiveness of the unit. It's not just because women aren't built the same, we don't think the same aswell. I know one kicka** female max out pushups, situps, 14:00 2-mile, 24 pullups, etc. and still not be able to carry an average size male because her body isn't built right. To the OP, I'd suggest looking into being a 31B.

November 28th, 2009   #8
Britney

But if i can pass the same tests given to everyone else that applies to 11b, i dont see any reasons to refusing to being allowed to apply. I can understand unit cohesion, in my experience men tend to showboat in front of me- trying to impress me and that would disrupt discipline and effectiveness. but why not just form Women platoons and male platoons?

Yeah..they idea if being some Iranian captive isn't appealing, but what male would find it appealing as well? They get sexually abused and that sort of thing too, but they workout just as fine.

November 28th, 2009   #9
Bullinar

Why don't you e-mail Gen. Casey. I have no idea why they don't form female platoons, but I'm not running the Army. As for being a POW, men survive better because they can fight back better than most females.

November 28th, 2009   #10
Britney

Why do you say men can survive better?

Tags
combat, fight, join, military, true