Is it true that Women cant join the Us army for a combat role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britney

I have been trying to do a lot of research ( my google-fu is weak..) and from what im getting, girls can't join the military ( United States) for a combat oriented MOS. Is that true that i wouldn't be allowed to fight?

Define "fight". You are correct women are not allowed in Combat MOS's, however, they still can see combat. A local ARNG recruiter near me was a 31B by MOS and she spent a year in Iraq as a gunner on a Humvee. For more research may I suggest goarmy.com ?

Well aim down iron sites and squeeze one off at the bad guy is my definition of fighting.. I was looking at 11b ( infantry) on that site and it said it wasn't applicable to Women.. Why not? : s

Women are not allowed to enlist as 11B's. The reason they can't is because congress passed a law saying they couldn't. Why did congress pass that law? Not sure but I do have a theory. Consider this, you join as an 11B and go to war. Your battle buddy gets hit and needs evac'd pronto. It's up to all 110 - 150 lbs. (just guessing an average females weight) of you to carry your gear and rifle, 200 lb. fallen comrade, and his gear and rifle (because you can't leave it behind unless you want the enemy shooting at you with it) 1 1/2 miles up a hill to the evac site. I don't want to say it couldn't happen, but I'll say I don't want to be the one to test it.
Also, a platoon is a cohesive group. What would a females presence do to to 20 - 30 guys who haven't seen anything resembling a female in 9+ months? I know it doesn't sound fair but that's the way things are, like it or not.
Finally, something that most females don't consider when crying foul at not being able to join, would you really want to be a female POW??

Women are not allowed to enlist as 11B's. The reason they can't is because congress passed a law saying they couldn't. Why did congress pass that law? Not sure but I do have a theory. Consider this, you join as an 11B and go to war. Your battle buddy gets hit and needs evac'd pronto. It's up to all 110 - 150 lbs. (just guessing an average females weight) of you to carry your gear and rifle, 200 lb. fallen comrade, and his gear and rifle (because you can't leave it behind unless you want the enemy shooting at you with it) 1 1/2 miles up a hill to the evac site. I don't want to say it couldn't happen, but I'll say I don't want to be the one to test it.
Also, a platoon is a cohesive group. What would a females presence do to to 20 - 30 guys who haven't seen anything resembling a female in 9+ months? I know it doesn't sound fair but that's the way things are, like it or not.
Finally, something that most females don't consider when crying foul at not being able to join, would you really want to be a female POW??

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I've seen men and women working & training cohesively in combat and non-combat roles. In the CF at least, as long as both genders pull their weight there is no need for gender specific Military Occupations. Would you rather have the 150 pound woman dragging your sorry arse up the hill, or a potentially weaker and less fit male simple because he has dangly bits between his legs? I'm going to go with whoever can save my ass best. The male vs. female thing doesn't really come into it.

One theory I have heard often is that female POWs might be mistreated more by their captors because of the religious beliefs of the region. That said, everyone should know the risks and be willing to take them.

Another "idea" is that one man can father many children in a short time. But pregnancy lasts 9 months - yielding only one baby. Thus women are more essential to the survival of the nation. Not exactly a brilliant argument for the wars being fought right now - but a valid argument.

FWIW, excluding women from combat roles seems more than a little bit sexist. Every soldier signs a blank cheque payable to their nation for an amount up to and including their life. Being male or female makes no difference...except in how cute the signature is. :p

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I've seen men and women working & training cohesively in combat and non-combat roles. In the CF at least, as long as both genders pull their weight there is no need for gender specific Military Occupations. Would you rather have the 150 pound woman dragging your sorry arse up the hill, or a potentially weaker and less fit male simple because he has dangly bits between his legs? I'm going to go with whoever can save my ass best. The male vs. female thing doesn't really come into it.

Not sure how things run in Canada, but your not going to find too many 11B's that are scrawny 150 pounders in the US Army. Every 11B has to pass a very demanding physical fitness test. Do I think if a woman could pass the test she should be allowed to fight? Sure I do. But how much money and time is wasted training hundreds of female recruits just to have to retrain them when all but 3 or 4 fail the PT test. It just makes sense to not screw with the chemistry of the most powerful fighting force in the world.

If men and women both pulled their weight equally, then why aren't they allowed on subs? Because back to Mr. Lydon's point, when men get around women, things happen. Disrupting the cohesiveness of the unit. It's not just because women aren't built the same, we don't think the same aswell. I know one kicka** female max out pushups, situps, 14:00 2-mile, 24 pullups, etc. and still not be able to carry an average size male because her body isn't built right. To the OP, I'd suggest looking into being a 31B.

But if i can pass the same tests given to everyone else that applies to 11b, i dont see any reasons to refusing to being allowed to apply. I can understand unit cohesion, in my experience men tend to showboat in front of me- trying to impress me and that would disrupt discipline and effectiveness. but why not just form Women platoons and male platoons?

Yeah..they idea if being some Iranian captive isn't appealing, but what male would find it appealing as well? They get sexually abused and that sort of thing too, but they workout just as fine.

Why don't you e-mail Gen. Casey. I have no idea why they don't form female platoons, but I'm not running the Army. As for being a POW, men survive better because they can fight back better than most females.

Why do you say men can survive better?

Because it's what our bodies have been doing for thousands of years while all a women needs to do is pick some berries, a bit of sewing, and lay on her back. Male bodies get ****ed up enough being Infantry. Female bodies are not suited to it and would have many more problems including not being able to bear children.

Can you fight like 200lb Sgt. Billy Bob?

Yeah im sure i could if i had the same high class training. I've practice martial arts with my guy friends and Ive won my fair share of times.

Haven't any of you seen GI Jane?

Because it's what our bodies have been doing for thousands of years while all a women needs to do is pick some berries, a bit of sewing, and lay on her back. Male bodies get ****ed up enough being Infantry. Female bodies are not suited to it and would have many more problems including not being able to bear children.

Oh come on! That ain't a real reason! Females can withstand torture just as well as men can, there are plenty of female spies that dont talk - and other female soldiers around the world that preform just as well as men.

Why wouldn't i be-able to bear children? I dont understand..

If i can pass all the tests 'big strong men' do to join- why cant i fight too?

Last edited:
Oh come on! That ain't a real reason! Females can withstand torture just as well as men can, there are plenty of female spies that dont talk - and other female soldiers around the world that preform just as well as men.

Why wouldn't i be-able to bear children? I dont understand..

If i can pass all the tests 'big strong men' do to join- why cant i fight too

I mentioned nothing of being taken prisoner, I'm talking day to day life.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

What tests can you pass?

I mentioned nothing of being taken prisoner, I'm talking day to day life.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

What tests can you pass?

Whats more testful than touch? Its somthing all Western nations have to worry about when fighting the enemy. I thought you where referencing to being taken, i was a bit sleepy.

I'm 5'5 and 118lbs.

Right now i can do 82 situps in two minutes, run two miles in 14:06 as my personal bests, my average is slightly lower and 17 push ups in two minutes.

Ive never really worked as hard on push ups as anything else, because i dont see the point.. As long as the rules are in place it doesnt mater if i can do 42, i still wont be allowed to fight.

I'm just as fit as the requirements for men, with the exception for pushups- but i can just as well get my score up on that too.

The practice asvab i did i scored 58, its not the best but you only need 34ish points to get into infantry..

I'm just as capable as men, why shouldn't i be allowed in? I've been pushing myself hard for the latter half of my teen life only to find out i cant be what i wanted to be. I feel like i broke my limits so many times, and busted my brain trying to learn all the skills i can so i would be accepted into the MOS i wanted, and then i find out oops- i cant. It just ticks me off so much..

Last edited:
I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble there but, the ASVAB score required for an 11B MOS is 90. A 58 doesn't qualify you for anything.
Check this link for the required scores for each MOS:
LINK

I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble there but, the ASVAB score required for an 11B MOS is 90. A 58 doesn't qualify you for anything.
Check this link for the required scores for each MOS:
LINK

The recruiter told me 34, and the practice test i took said 30 somthing. He said my score was well above average witch was 39 for my age. Unless they changed it recently i dont see how thats possible unless there are different asvabs. The only things ive heard of being 90 where special forces a few years ago.

Last edited:
Ive never really worked as hard on push ups as anything else, because i dont see the point..

The point is being able to lift and carry your buddy if you have to. And if you think that your ASVAB scores are anywhere near acceptable, you have another thing coming. Your attitude sucks.

The point is being able to lift and carry your buddy if you have to. And if you think that your ASVAB scores are anywhere near acceptable, you have another thing coming. Your attitude sucks.

I was referring to the fact that Women have a much lower standard then men when it comes to push ups.. And what do you mean " my attitude sucks"?! What have i said thats offensive??
The recruiter told me after i took the test that it was very impressive m i dont understand why your being so hostile toward me.

The test im talking about is the one the recruiter gives out thats on the computer, it has vocabulary and mathematics. I think it had 15-20 questions each. It takes 15 minutes at the most. Not the 3 hour test on paper..

ASVAB Score - The Army requires a minimum AFQT Score of 31 to qualify for enlistment. However, in recent months, the Army has been approving more and more waivers for those with scores as low as 26

ASVAB Score - Air Force recruits must score at least 36 points the 99-point ASVAB

ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32.

ASVAB Score - Navy recruits must score at least 35 on the AFQT

I think we are talking about two different asvab tests.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back