TOP 10 Armored Personnel Carriers | 8x8

Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle

warrior_410px.jpg

The Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle has the speed and performance to keep up with Challenger 2 Main Battle Tanks over the most difficult terrain, and the firepower and armour to support infantry in the assault.
The Warrior (WR) family of 7 variants of armoured vehicles entered service in 1988 and have proved a resounding success for Armoured Infantry (AI) battlegroups (BG) in the Gulf War, Bosnia and Kosovo and Iraq. They provide excellent mobility, lethality and survivability for the Infantry and have enabled key elements from the Royal Artillery and Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to operate effectively within the Battle Group. A highly successful armoured fighting vehicle, Warrior can be fitted with Enhanced Armour and is continuously being updated; for example, the Battle-group Thermal Imager (BTI) is being fitted to increase its night-fighting capability.
warrior_200px.jpg

Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Warrior infantry command and section vehicles carry a turret mounted 30 mm Rarden cannon that will defeat light armoured vehicles out to 1,500 m. An 8x magnification image-intensifying night sight is fitted, and eight light anti-armour weapons (LAW) can be stowed in the vehicle.
Warrior variants include artillery observation post vehicle (OPV) and command post vehicle (CPV), and a Royal Mechanical and Electrical Engineers (REME) recovery and repair vehicle. All variants are equipped with a 7.62 mm chain gun. Both chain gun and Rarden cannon have an anti-helicopter capability.
The most impressive feature of Warrior is its power. The 550 bhp diesel engine gives a power-to-weight ratio of 23.5 bhp/ton resulting in a road speed of 75 kph and a cross-country speed of up to 50 kph. This is 30% better than the FV432 and with the improved suspension and a lower ground pressure it allows Warrior to keep pace with Challenger 2 across the toughest terrain. Warrior can wade to a depth of 1.3 m.
The armour is designed to withstand an explosion from a 155mm shell at 10 m and direct fire from machine guns up to a caliber of 14.5 mm. During the first Gulf War and Operations in the Balkans and Iraq, additional armoured protection was fitted for additional protection. Collective CBRN protection is provided when closed down and the section should be able to remain fully closed down for 48 hours. A toilet is also provided in the vehicle.

Ohhh… forget about the looks.

As long as there is good and practical space inside, and a long as it is simple and doesn’t break down… well… the rest we can manage and adapt “locally”

300px-1BFV01.jpg

The M2 Bradley

Not necessarily an APC, it's an IFV, but definitely noteworthy as it took out more Iraqi armor than the M1 Abrams in the first Gulf War.

It has 9 variants and while it's armor is not a strong point, it's speed is.

Last edited:
In my oppinion Pars, Patria and Stryker look strong. But only look strong. :)

Well "Rosomak" (Polish version of Patria AMV - produced in Poland) is battle proven vehicle.

Short combat history of Polish Rosomaks in Afghnistan:

The Polish Land Forces contingent, which is a part of the International Security Assistance Force have been operating 24 KTO Rosomak vehicles in Afghanistan since 2007

The KTOs were equipped with additional steel-composite armor. In early 2008 a Polish Rosomak serving in Afghanistan (the version with upgraded armor) was attacked by Taliban rebels.

The vehicle was hit three times with a RPG-7 missile but it managed to fire back and returned to base without any help required. In June 2008 a Rosomak was attacked by Taliban’s and was hit in its frontal armor with a RPG. The armor was not penetrated.

Rosomaks have also been attacked by mines and IEDs but no vehicles have been destroyed.

1203xe9.jpg

300px-1BFV01.jpg

The M2 Bradley

Not necessarily an APC, it's an IFV, but definitely noteworthy as it took out more Iraqi armor than the M1 Abrams in the first Gulf War.

It has 9 variants and while it's armor is not a strong point, it's speed is.

And much like the Warrior not an 8x8 either.

I have always liked the Bradley but sadly it doesn't fit this list.

actually it does have an 8X8 roadwheel configuration, go ahead, count em'

Hey don't get me wrong here the Bradley is the vehicle I would have in any military it would rate as one of my favorite AFV's and given New Zealands usage of British vehicles in the past I am a little surprised we didn't purchase the Warrior which is also an excellent vehicle but it clearly neither of them are designated 8x8s, however I would rate both of them highly in their respective class.

Damn... Some of these things look damn good...

I wish I had a vehicule like that... I would feel safer when my girlfriend gets mad... My car provide poor protection...

But If I was dealing with anti tank weapons... I wouldnt take these things... Come on guys, they are as armored as a Snowplow... and with these damn big cannons and turrets on the top, they look like a tank... Especially the Warrior IFV...

The enemy in front of you will see it as a priority target... A light tank... Poorly armored... And they will attack it with everything they have...

And to think that these things are fully loaded with ammo and soldiers... damn... It's an invitation for a slaughter...

Patria and Stryker, they both have advanced additional armor packets ( plus Stryker gets slat armor which gives even more protection against rocket propelled grenades ).

Every other vehicle listed is inferior in armour protection ( the Boxer has an additional armor packet that puts it in the same league as Stryker and Patria but significantly decreases speed ).

The BTR series are, all of them including the newest models a modernisation of an old project, they suffer in armaments, armor and manouverability and are generally inferior to every other vehicle listed here.

However i dont have any information on Pars, could anyone forward me a helpfull site ?

The list are not good...everyone forget the M113 and many more track armoured personnel carrier. The first armoured personnel carrier based on M4 sherman chassie (for resist against Pak38 and Panzerfaust) was the Kangaroo APC ,made by the canadian forces. He was probably the tool of the allies victory in Africa,France,Netherland and Germany between 1943-1945. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_(armoured_personnel_carrier) The famous action history of the canadian Kangaroo was in Operation Totalize in Caen (france) against the 1st division SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (Strong division).

He had few problem against 88mm gun flakartillery but he had better protection and more mobility than the light M3 Half-track and Bren Gun Carrier. He was the first real APC in the world with enought protection and can be deployable around the world from ships to the large aircraft, after the world war two, american was inspired by the Kangaroo for made the M113 who changing the face of the battlefield in vietnam and for the futur. During cold war russia made the BMD-1 and many was inspired by the shape of the soviet made, today around the globe the wheeled armoured personnel carrier use the identicale basic shape from the BMD-1 such the LAV-III and BTR-3.

So in the :

TOP 1# the Kangaroo APC
kangaroobpn2.jpg

Damn... Some of these things look damn good...

I wish I had a vehicule like that... I would feel safer when my girlfriend gets mad... My car provide poor protection...

But If I was dealing with anti tank weapons... I wouldnt take these things... Come on guys, they are as armored as a Snowplow... and with these damn big cannons and turrets on the top, they look like a tank... Especially the Warrior IFV...

The enemy in front of you will see it as a priority target... A light tank... Poorly armored... And they will attack it with everything they have...

And to think that these things are fully loaded with ammo and soldiers... damn... It's an invitation for a slaughter...

The idea behind an APC isn't anti-tank warfare. For that, you have other tanks, helicopters, AFVs with anti-tank missiles and anti-tank infantry. An APC is basically a battle field transport. Its purpose is to bring your soldiers and some supplies to the front lines as FAST as it can, to protect them from enemy fire and return (limited) fire as BEST as it can, and do all that as CHEAP as it can. It's never meant to go out, search and destroy tanks.

Also, in most situations a tank is often a higher priority target than an APC, as unlike the APC, it's a major and direct threat against the observing enemy unit. Therfore they will generally shoot at the tank before they will shoot at the APC.

FNSS's PARS 8x8 APC vehicle with a Turkish infantry team:
oklopnjaci_7.jpg

Last edited:
I hear you Lunatik, I guess it's obvious for you guys, as you know your job...

But for me, it looks like a small tank... I will have a hard time seeing the difference between an M60 Patton and most of these vehicules...

I understand their role in the battlefield... But these look like a juicy target for any opposing force in the field with some anti-tank capabilities... RPG squad or any AT team...

And even in the scenario where there is an abram and a troop carrier... I think that the enemy will attack the troop carrier first... Because his chances to disable the abrams are ridiculous...
They would make much more damage by attacking the softer target and retreating rather than to face the abrams...

And when it comes to patroling, a humvees convoy does the trick...

Well, I guess target prioritization would really depend on the circumstances. If you're a tank, you'd want to shoot at the other tank first as the instinct for self-survival often overrides a lot of other factors and sometimes even logical reasoning. An APC generally can't hurt a modern tank, but another tank can. In tank-vs-tank battle it's often first see, first shoot, first kill. You want to first eliminate what can kill you, only then as a commander you'll feel comfortable enough to focus on the other, tactically less significant object. Trying to blow up an APC while another tank is fixing sights on you is insanity, in my opinion.

But I don't know, we should ask Sherman what he'd do, he's a tank commander, and of one of the most harshly battle-tested tanks in a very unstable region too.

Also, even though there are many differences and levels of armor quality and capabilities among modern tanks, no tank is invincible! A well placed cannon shell or ANY modern anti-tank missile or ANY modern anti-tank mine or even a nicely improvised, intelligently placed roadside bomb that's packing enough juice will take out ANY modern tank or at least render it inoperable until towed away and repaired.

But of course, if you're not a tank and you're only carrying an RPG, you'd shoot at what you can kill. In that case your logical target would definitely be the APC. That's why most APC's now come with some kind of small cannon or machien gun turret, for self defence against soft targets that do pose a threat.

Last edited:
target prioritziation for tanks is usually-

Tanks-ATGM-Engineer Vehicles(on defense)- APCs- Infantery.

Sometimes the ATGMs come first- if the tank is too far to be a threat or if the ATGM is clearly far more dangerous(AT-14 at 2500m and T-55 at 2500m- easy decision to attack the AT-14 first)

Back