I think they have the wrong idea...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Still to stay on topic I do not understand what it is New Zealand could offer in the way of training given the amount of time, money and effort USA and UK have already expended only to see them run off in the opposite direction at the first sight of a Toyota pickup truck.

I think a better option would be to employ the Ethiopians to train the Iraqi Army they produce far better long distance runners than anyone else.

New Zealand forces could train Iraqi troops, Key says

5:00 AM Tuesday Oct 21, 2014

Prime Minister John Key said New Zealand helping to train Iraqi troops was among the options the Government would consider when ruling on its contribution to the fight against Isis (Islamic State).
But the range of options went from New Zealanders physically fighting to New Zealanders doing nothing. Mr Key was commenting after Australia finalising an agreement with the Iraq Government for Australia special forces to support Iraqi military.
"Training is definitely a potential option that we might consider," he said.
It reiterated what US President Barack Obama had been saying - to aim to develop Iraq's national forces so it could defend itself against the Isis group.
Mr Key said the Government would decide on its contribution to Iraq in two to four weeks.

Mr Key said he had spoken to the Australian Prime Minister last Friday about Iraq after Tony Abbott had called to congratulate New Zealand on its election to the United Nations Security Council.
"He didn't actively encourage or discourage us," Mr Key said. "But I think it would go without saying that Australia, as our closest neighbour, would obviously welcome any involvement from [us]."
Meanwhile, Chief of Defence Force Lieutenant General Tim Keating has briefed new Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee about his meeting last week near Washington, billed as a meeting of the coalition against Isis.
Yesterday, Mr Key said General Keating had not known Mr Obama would attend until he arrived.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11345518

Still to stay on topic I do not understand what it is New Zealand could offer in the way of training given the amount of time, money and effort USA and UK have already expended only to see them run off in the opposite direction at the first sight of a Toyota pickup truck.

Maybe he thinks the Haka would scare the crap out of them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ar-gYIGjvc[/ame]

Seeing as ISIS has all the US hardware plus the hardware they have purchased with their oil money, it would be more like running from a Humvee. They are pretty well equipped presently having a significant number of tanks, artillery, and troop carriers and are perfectly capable of fighting like a conventional army.

Brit you may have something with that War Chant!

Iraq and the U.S. are undoubtedly grateful to New Zealand for participation and I'm sure that their military contains some of the finest people in the world. They are a product of the " fittest nation in the world". However their military is very,very small. A training mission is within their capabilities, but that's about it. So, if that's what they are willing to contribute, I'm sure it will be a quality effort. What the Iraqis need more than anything else is massive air support. The ability to maintain 24 hour drone surveillance and kill anything that moves. The kind of of support that can pulverize entire provinces with a single radio call.

Last edited:
Iraq and the U.S. are undoubtedly grateful to New Zealand for participation and I'm sure that their military contains some of the finest people in the world. They are a product of the " fittest nation in the world". However their military is very,very small. A training mission is within their capabilities, but that's about it. So, if that's what they are willing to contribute, I'm sure it will be a quality effort. What the Iraqis need more than anything else is massive air support. The ability to maintain 24 hour drone surveillance and kill anything that moves. The kind of of support that can pulverize entire provinces with a single radio call.

Lets not get carried away here our involvement will be a token at best, there has been talk about our SAS joining as a combat force but to be honest I don't think anyone in this country is enthusiastic about sending troops to fight beside an army that seeming runs at the first sight of the enemy also our SAS while as good as any other special forces are as you have pointed out fairly small in size which would make them of limited use.

There has also been talk of offering a transport and medical element which many see as being more within our capabilities.

I think most of the country is prepared to take some role in this fight but given the size and funding our military gets it is hard to know what sort of role we could do effectively.

Lets not get carried away here our involvement will be a token at best, there has been talk about our SAS joining as a combat force but to be honest I don't think anyone in this country is enthusiastic about sending troops to fight beside an army that seeming runs at the first sight of the enemy also our SAS while as good as any other special forces are as you have pointed out fairly small in size which would make them of limited use.

I don't agree, don't underestimate small units like your SAS, they are more then capable of doing damage then far bigger units.

The Iraqi army are in it only for the money--not the "country" which doesn't exist in their mind. Their tribe is their only alliegence. This is doomed from the git go!

I don't agree, don't underestimate small units like your SAS, they are more then capable of doing damage then far bigger units.

I don't underestimate them I believe they are an excellent fighting force and as good as anyone else's SF what I am concerned about is:
A) Our ability to support them properly.
B) That despite their quality there is simply not enough of them to be effective against an enemy determined to kill himself.

The Iraqi army are in it only for the money--not the "country" which doesn't exist in their mind. Their tribe is their only alliegence. This is doomed from the git go!

While this may be true we (the rest of the world) are trapped in a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario in that we can't afford to let ISIS take over the area and we can't trust the locals to stop them.

Back