Think Tank threatens Veteran for complaining about fake science

perseus

Recently leaked documents from the Heartland Institute, a think tank, outline a sinister plot to teach phony science and to dissuade teachers from teaching science in out schools. The documents were first published on desmogblog.com, a site dedicated to combating the disinformation campaign of climate change deniers.

One USAA Veteran complained to Heartland in a strongly worded email to the president and all the board members. They’re Coming for Your Kids

The Heartland Institute's response said they was turning the email over to their legal department, the forensic staff and the FBI, and warned not to delete any emails! Heartland Institute threatens 71-year-old veteran.

Demonstrating unbelievable hypocrisy, this institute who claims to be fighting for freedom, disseminated and manipulated the meaning of stolen Emails from University scientists only a few years ago.

Last edited:
Well that whole process has amused me at least, the problem is that it will change nothing as the fanatics on each side will go on trumpeting a cause and denying the counter arguments.

Sadly the climate change argument has turned into a religion.

I thought you were generally on the side of climate scientists? Remember that Heartland was one of a number of organisations which were happy to not only use the stolen Emails from the University of East Anglia for political gain, but a clearly distorted version of their meaning. Now the pot is calling the kettle black.

The climate change argument being political is surely one of the memes these lobbyists have been pushing, after all politics not science is their forte.

I agree there is an envionmental political side such as Greenpeace which advocate adopting renewables at any cost and the anti-nuclear lobby, but I have always thought of the IPCC as being neutral or even slightly conservative.

For me the basic science of climate science is settled. The details, how much how fast, is still questionable. However, exactly how we respond to climate change is the particularily difficult part which can be highly politicalised.

Last edited:
Just Released. On the quiet, the 'whiter than white' climate brigade are flagellating themselves over this, 'Oh no, one of our own has done this!'

This shows the difference in morals doesn't it? Deniers don't only steal, they distort what it says as well. No doubt they will be making political capital out of this in the most hypocritical way imaginable.

Whistle-blower Authenticates Heartland Documents

Climate scientist Peter Gleick has acknowledged that he was the person who convinced the Heartland Institute to hand over the contents of its January Board package, authenticating the documents beyond a doubt and further exposing the disinformation campaign Heartland has pursued in the last week, trying to discredit the information.

So, while admitting that he impersonated a third party in order to induce Heartland to confirm its own ongoing questionable conduct, Gleick has effectively caught Heartland squarely in the headlights, proving that the Institute has dissembled and lied.

Whistleblowers - and that's the role Gleick has played in this instance - deserve respect for having the courage to make important truths known to the public at large. Without condoning or promoting an act of dishonesty, it's fair to say that Gleick took a significant personal risk - and by standing and taking responsibility for his actions, he has shown himself willing to pay the price. For his courage, his honor, and for performing a selfless act of public service, he deserves our gratitude and applause.

Heartland, in the meantime, deserves to be stripped of its charitable status and laughed out of the professional "think tank" fraternity for its amateurishness and the far-less-than-credible position that it has taken in the last week, denying its own responsibility in this "leak," dissembling about the origin of the material and going out of its way to "fail" to authenticate documents that it knew all along were legitimate.
http://www.desmogblog.com/whistleblower-authenticates-heartland-documents

Last edited:
I thought you were generally on the side of climate scientists? Remember that Heartland was one of a number of organisations which were happy to not only use the stolen Emails from the University of East Anglia for political gain, but a clearly distorted version of their meaning. Now the pot is calling the kettle black.

The climate change argument being political is surely one of the memes these lobbyists have been pushing, after all politics not science is their forte.

I agree there is an envionmental political side such as Greenpeace which advocate adopting renewables at any cost and the anti-nuclear lobby, but I have always thought of the IPCC as being neutral or even slightly conservative.

For me the basic science of climate science is settled. The details, how much how fast, is still questionable. However, exactly how we respond to climate change is the particularily difficult part which can be highly politicalised.

The problem is that while I am in general supportive of the climate change argument I do not entirely trust either side to put the facts ahead of their own agenda.

But I would agree with your closing statement.

Heartland has said in emails and on its own web sites that it has called in the FBI. They also told the veteran they attacked, Colonel Wamsley, Ret. USAF, that they had called the FBI.

Ross Rice, an FBI special agent in the Chicago field office, said Thursday that "nothing has been reported to our office" from the Heartland Institute.

After reviewing some of the media reports, Rice added, "It would appear that the items were given to outsiders under false pretenses as opposed to a breach of their IT system or theft."

"As such, there would be no legal basis for us to investigate," Rice said.
An FBI spokesman in Washington said he could neither confirm nor deny the existence of an investigation. The Chicago Police Department did not respond to requests for comment.

Heartland Institute raising money off 'Denialgate' - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

This makes the CRU hack ILLEGAL and the Heartland Phishing tactic NOT illegal. In addition we must add how the perpetrators cynically manipulated intepretation of the CRU Emails, a thoroughly disgusting immoral affair.

If true it seems Heartland are living up to expectations as the most cynical liars.

Recently leaked documents from the Heartland Institute, a think tank, outline a sinister plot to teach phony science and to dissuade teachers from teaching science in out schools. The documents were first published on desmogblog.com, a site dedicated to combating the disinformation campaign of climate change deniers.

One USAA Veteran complained to Heartland in a strongly worded email to the president and all the board members. They’re Coming for Your Kids

The Heartland Institute's response said they was turning the email over to their legal department, the forensic staff and the FBI, and warned not to delete any emails! Heartland Institute threatens 71-year-old veteran.

Demonstrating unbelievable hypocrisy, this institute who claims to be fighting for freedom, disseminated and manipulated the meaning of stolen Emails from University scientists only a few years ago.
Truly pathetic comments from rabic climate change nuts. The same nuts that warned in the 70s about the coming Ice Age are some of the same nuts pushing global warming. In each case they want more govt controll of the economy & reduced living standards. Typical Watermelon view. Climate changes happens, but man can't controll it.

George, they have been caught with their pants down, and there is no need to manipulate the meaning of these documents.

True, it only confirms what we already know, undemocratic businesses leaders are attempting to take over running our countries in place of elected representatives. Is that what you want, Plutocrats?

George, they have been caught with their pants down, and there is no need to manipulate the meaning of these documents.

True, it only confirms what we already know, undemocratic businesses leaders are attempting to take over running our countries in place of elected representatives. Is that what you want, Plutocrats?
I don't know....but...the Head "Watermelon" seems to be M. Gorbachev.

Back