Which of these tanks can perform the best?

Does anyone know where the upcoming K2 MBT will fit? I'm guessing though it's supposed to be one of the most advanced tanks in the world, it'll still very much be a 3rd generation MBT.

Its very hard to say what will define a fourth generation...

I wouldn't be surprised at all actually.
Obvious the cover does look a bit different but just about anyone can do that.
It appears the K1 and K1A1 are rather different... mostly the gun. I don't know, you'd be the pro at that. As for the K2... don't know what's up with that. Other than the cover, don't know what justifies the higher number. Looks like there's more "stuff" on it... I guess I'll find out in a few months.

South Korea can have some oddities...
like the K1 SMG is sometimes considered a carbine of the K2 rifle although they are completely different weapons.

Hmm... would the K2 MBT have some features like the M1A2? Or still a few levels below? As for the armor... I just don't know if South Korea can produce top of the line armor.

From a politician's point of view, I think the question would be what it'll have to take on? I reckon it can handle just about every piece of armor the North may throw its way?

I wouldn't be surprised at all actually.
Obvious the cover does look a bit different but just about anyone can do that.
It appears the K1 and K1A1 are rather different... mostly the gun. I don't know, you'd be the pro at that. As for the K2... don't know what's up with that. Other than the cover, don't know what justifies the higher number. Looks like there's more "stuff" on it... I guess I'll find out in a few months.

South Korea can have some oddities...
like the K1 SMG is sometimes considered a carbine of the K2 rifle although they are completely different weapons.

Hmm... would the K2 MBT have some features like the M1A2? Or still a few levels below? As for the armor... I just don't know if South Korea can produce top of the line armor.

Everything inside of this tank has been pretty much been upgraded, including gun, armor protection, mobility.

I would rate it along side of a M1A2 exception being armor protection wise in the frontal turret area, (60% frontal), it would be hard pressed to communicate and navigate as well as a M1A2 SEP version 2, but that more than likely has to do with different tactics used by different military force structures.

Armor protection is impressive and they have been able to pull other countries armor technologies and apply what works out best for K2, also I should add besides the IDF, ROK will be one of the first tank producers based on western technology that will equip K2 with a counter measures device(s), no other country has even decided on what they want to use as of yet, including the Russians as far as a hard kill device.

In a nutshell, it is a darn good tank, if you want some detailed specifics on vehicle capabilities let me know.

Last edited:
North Korean definitely but also it'll have to be able to defeat mutliple Chinese tanks.

Spot on, K2 was designed to not only handle future Chinese threats but also future Russian armor threats, K1 and K1A1 are more than a match for anything the North Koreans are currently using.

Spot on, K2 was designed to not only handle future Chinese threats but also future Russian armor threats, K1 and K1A1 are more than a match for anything the North Koreans are currently using.

I've read somewhere that K2 was designed to replace some K1A1 components.
K1A1 was apparently not available for export because of foreign rights owners blocking the export of a tank with their components (I think U.S.).

The general design of K1/K2 is quite well-matched for the hilly Korean terrain - the hydropneumatic suspension increases the effective gun elevation/depression - very important in such terrain (and in cities).

For all of you out there that think the Leo 2 has never seen combat.....well you can't be more wrong. Canada has been using the Leo 2A6 in Afghanistan for some time now, and will great success.

canadian_leopard2a6.jpg

ar2007z04101fy4.jpg
leopard2a6m_12.jpg

Yeah but the Leo 2 in A'Stan hasn't ever been in a tank on tank engagement. I think that's what most of the fuss is about.
Looks like the Leo 2 in the first photo had a bit of a fender bender incident!

Ortman, the K1A1 is basically a modified M1A1. Obviously General Dynamics wouldn't allow it for foreign sales.

I've read somewhere that K2 was designed to replace some K1A1 components.
K1A1 was apparently not available for export because of foreign rights owners blocking the export of a tank with their components (I think U.S.).

The general design of K1/K2 is quite well-matched for the hilly Korean terrain - the hydropneumatic suspension increases the effective gun elevation/depression - very important in such terrain (and in cities).

Yes, some of that does hold some substance, I think the majority of the issues may have been with Germany and ROK, I know the U.S was not holding them up as far as *potential* sales of K1 and K1A1 to Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore.

Yeah but the Leo 2 in A'Stan hasn't ever been in a tank on tank engagement. I think that's what most of the fuss is about.
Looks like the Leo 2 in the first photo had a bit of a fender bender incident!

Ortman, the K1A1 is basically a modified M1A1. Obviously General Dynamics wouldn't allow it for foreign sales.

Just think if that very same tank had to do what it was designed to do, offensive tank on tank engagements with all that RPG 7 rebar along the skirts, I would give that tank less than 5 minutes moving cross country before it was completely torn off the vehicle. I guess for a urban quick fix it works though.

Just hope I do get the K1A1.
I have a 50/50 odds between the K1 or K1A1 and the M48.
Worse they could put me on some gay ass bridge layer or worse, a recovery vehicle.

Yes, some of that does hold some substance, I think the majority of the issues may have been with Germany and ROK, I know the U.S was not holding them up as far as *potential* sales of K1 and K1A1 to Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore.

The German legal situation would have posed no problems with Thailand or Singapore and does likely pose no problems for arms exports to Indonesia any more.

We have a law (rare exceptions granted by cabinet-level comittee) that prevents the delivery of military hardware into crisis regions.
The law in itself would not be a significant problem for the export of parts or licenses to South Korea and their later export of hardware anywhere, though (afaik).
I can only imagine that (if Germans were really a problem for such exports at all) their license treaty itself had prohibitive terms. Maybe deliberately built in to minimize competition for Leo2.

Just hope I do get the K1A1.
I have a 50/50 odds between the K1 or K1A1 and the M48.
Worse they could put me on some gay ass bridge layer or worse, a recovery vehicle.

Those bridge layers (combat engineers) operating AVLBS could have a tough go of it if security (over watch isn`t proper).

Those tankers will be at your mercy if they have vehicle issues, I always went out my way to keep our maintenance team was well taken care of, it is a bugger operating a tank during winter conditions in ROK without a vehicle crew heater.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
The German legal situation would have posed no problems with Thailand or Singapore and does likely pose no problems for arms exports to Indonesia any more.

We have a law (rare exceptions granted by cabinet-level comittee) that prevents the delivery of military hardware into crisis regions.
The law in itself would not be a significant problem for the export of parts or licenses to South Korea and their later export of hardware anywhere, though (afaik).
I can only imagine that (if Germans were really a problem for such exports at all) their license treaty itself had prohibitive terms. Maybe deliberately built in to minimize competition for Leo2.

I think the issue was inregards to the engine pact of K1 series, this may have also played a factor in ROK designing their engine pact system also for K2, the extent of the issue though I really do not know, but would have to agree with you that I could not see any real reasons why Germany would want to black ball the countries being referenced.

Worse they could put me on some gay ass bridge layer or worse, a recovery vehicle

Actually bridge layers are kind of cool. Prority targets though, might as well put abig bullseye on your forhead.

Back