Which of these tanks can perform the best? - Page 18


Read more about Hmmm... best tank in the world? A-10 Thunderbolt II AC-130H Spectre B-52 Stratofortress I've seen modern armor. I've worked along side modern armor. I respect modern armo

Military Medals Store

  International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

 
September 29th, 2009   #171
Zastava-Arms
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Keep in mind that the russian stuff is cheaper and the Indians couldent get as many western tanks for the same prices.
Actually, a T-90 from Uralvagonzavod is 5-7 Million dollars [Link: http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20090806/155743859.html]

A M1 Abrams is 4.35 Million dollars

A Leo 2 is a tiny bit over 4.5 Million dollars

And a Merkava 4 is about 4.5-5 million dollars.
 
-
September 29th, 2009   #172
viewer
 
 
wow 5-7 millions for a monkey T-90, russia is ripping them off.
 
September 29th, 2009   #173
Zastava-Arms
 
The monkey model might not be that bad. India seems to like them.
 
September 29th, 2009   #174
SHERMAN
 
 
Merkava Mk4 is 4.5 to 5 million dolars for its only client, which is the Israeli Gov. Which also happens to own the plant... I wouldent know how much they would cost to a real customer. As far as selling the T-90 for 7 million dollars, well, thats screwed up.


 
September 30th, 2009   #175
Zastava-Arms
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Merkava Mk4 is 4.5 to 5 million dolars for its only client, which is the Israeli Gov. Which also happens to own the plant... I wouldent know how much they would cost to a real customer. As far as selling the T-90 for 7 million dollars, well, thats screwed up.

Well then, thats the price for each Merk4 the Israeli's buy.

And its 5-7 million, not just 7 million. I think the price depends on what the customer wants on it [You know, them dayum Russkie's take almost everything off the tank then sell them to the country]
 
October 12th, 2009   #176
WHill
 
You guys are tough to stay on subject. The best tank...... The selction dealt with all modern MBT and one maybe; the T95. On the modern battlefield the T34 would be target practice for a Bradley, the WW II German tanks would last about the same length of time, against a Bradley. Tan-on-tank with any of the choices any WW II tank would be target practice and in some cases the modern tanks might be able to get two kills for one round. Russian armor formations rely on numbers, their MBT are OK, given the money, I would buy our employ a T anything from the 34 through the maybe 95. Ask yourself a question why do the Russian rely on such large caliber main guns? Powder! If it ever happens, the Leopard and the Abrams will dominate the modern battlefield, woodland, or desert.
 
October 24th, 2009   #177
EladBell
 
 
aafter oparating a Merkava i can say that this is(!) the besst tank in the world...period.
well not really the best but its abselutly awsome and in the same level of the Loe and the M1
 
October 24th, 2009   #178
19kilo30K4
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EladBell
aafter oparating a Merkava i can say that this is(!) the besst tank in the world...period.
well not really the best but its abselutly awsome and in the same level of the Loe and the M1

after operating something you can only say you THINK it's the best. Unless you've operated something else or seen other vehicles in action, what is your frame of reference? I don't think a Merkava has the armor to compete with a Leo or an M1, but since it has the ability to house some dismounts, it seems like they cared less about a world beating MBT and more about making something to be more useful in urban environments. The Merkava is a great vehicle for what it's used for, but I don't think I would compare it to vehicles that it wasn't designed to compete with in the first place.


Gunner COAX troops! Fire and adjust!
 
October 26th, 2009   #179
Lavite
 
 
What are the criteria to judge the Best Tank? I can think of a few off the top of my head:

main gun effectiveness (a factor of size and ammunition quality)
fire control system
Night Sight systems
Ammo loading system
Armor
Maneuverability
crew survivability
maintenance reliability
fuel consumption
tactical displays and navigation

So how do you quantify each area and assign a weight? Each of the main contenders for Best Tank have advantages and limitations,, often built upon the battlefield experiences unique to that country.

I favor the M1, but my view is rather biased.

They use to hold an annual NATO tank gunnery competition at Grafenwoehr, Germany. Granted, some one was declared the winner, but the difference in scores were extremely close. That would be a way to quantify fire control and night sight systems but would be heavily influenced by the quality of the crew. It generally came done to a M-1 vs a Leo.
 
October 27th, 2009   #180
SHERMAN
 
 
Quote:
after operating something you can only say you THINK it's the best. Unless you've operated something else or seen other vehicles in action, what is your frame of reference? I don't think a Merkava has the armor to compete with a Leo or an M1, but since it has the ability to house some dismounts, it seems like they cared less about a world beating MBT and more about making something to be more useful in urban environments. The Merkava is a great vehicle for what it's used for, but I don't think I would compare it to vehicles that it wasn't designed to compete with in the first place
I think our dear friend Elad is just exited as he is a new recruit to the IDF and just started operating tanks. On the other hand, your understanding of the Merkava is extremely poor, as is your understanding of IDF operational theory, based on what you wrote.
Merkava was never built as a MOUT vehicle, it is built as a world class MBT. The "dismount carrying" feature is not really a major issue in the Merkavas design, and is simply a bonus to having a front mounted engine. The Merkava was built with the same enemies in mind as any other western tank, the russian T series. If you doubt this please ask away about features on the M1 or Leopard and their existance on the Merkava, I will be happy to reply as long as I dont have to break the law to do so.

Quote:
They use to hold an annual NATO tank gunnery competition at Grafenwoehr, Germany. Granted, some one was declared the winner, but the difference in scores were extremely close. That would be a way to quantify fire control and night sight systems but would be heavily influenced by the quality of the crew. It generally came done to a M-1 vs a Leo.
But the diffrence between the best western fire control system and main gun to the worst is far smaller than the diffrence between the worse and best gunner I have worked with in my service...An Israeli gunner is not the same as an American or German. The only way to really say which tank has the best fire control would be to take the results of say 100 rounds fired by the same 10 gunners on each tank on the same range in the same conditions and compare those.
 



Tags
autoloader, perform, questions, tanks, zulfiqar-3

Similar Topics
el almein
Best Tank of WW2
Canada sends tanks to Afghanistan
Yom Kippur war - Shmuel Askarov story
Best tanks, Allies or Axis?