Is there any possibility that USA can be defeated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me remind everyone, since it's on the net anyhow, the US is a honeycomb of Minuteman ICBMs and each is loaded for bear. I don't know how many thousands are siloed now but they are on every Coast and Middle America. When I say thousands, I'm not overstating. How many are Hydrogen warheads, no one knows.

Any Army can be defeated, including the USA. Countless are the armies that went into battle overconfident and would up suffering a humilating defeat. Romans at Cannae, British at Bunker Hill, French at Agincourt, The Spanish Armada loss, you name it.

An interesting and thought provoking question.DEFEAT IS A STATE OF MIND.No nation in today's world can sit back on their laurels and exhibit a complacent attitude.Wars are not won alone by armies.They are won by the WILL OF THE PEOPLE.The whole nation has to gear up for the eventualities and the hardships that follow. The will of the people is shaped by the beliefs in the countries policies and the satisfaction level that the citizen's perceive, so ultimately its the popularity of the govt and the policies it promotes that will eventually either win the war or sound a countries death knell.

Last edited:
Well I don't think USA have much threat from anyone (except being attack by terrorist) I don't think Europe could beat the US in the near future. Well they have long history of fighting amoung themselves. It would be very different for the whole Europe to unite. Actually if they are united, the US would never become the world power today. As for Russia, there are lots of internal problems. They can't even feed their own people properly so the possiblity of beating US is very low as they are not likely to be longlived. As for China, internal problem is also an issue. Corruption is especially bad. Furthermore it can be see from history that the Chinese are not a very united nations. The US can easily divide their goverment using money. Well India would be the most populated country in the world. But it also causes problems. There wouldn't have enough food to feed itself and would be very depend on foreign help (well it's very costly to feed lots of people). So how would any country in the near future can challenge the US.

PS the terrorist isn't doing much good for themselves. They can damage the US a lot but they will never challenge the position of the US

All I have to say is...conquering-wise if someone does manage to take over the US...I feel sorry for them. We are a stubborn people.

Head to Head in a Military conflict without a doubt NO, however should two Nations such as mentioned in past posts conspire they still COULD NOT defeat the power of the US Military, BUT I would hate to see the outcome for the entire world as we know it now.
Assured Mutual Destruction

USMCLTCOLBULLSEYE said:
Head to Head in a Military conflict without a doubt NO, however should two Nations such as mentioned in past posts conspire they still COULD NOT defeat the power of the US Military, BUT I would hate to see the outcome for the entire world as we know it now.
Assured Mutual Destruction

I agree sir.

If America was to gear for war like we did in WW1 and WW2 then it is higly unlikely that any 2 countries in the world could beat the US in a head to head.

Our logistics capability IMO far outweigh those of other countries. Once we got the fight on American soil under control, we would be taking the fight to them.

Remember, the US Marines are America's 911 force. We can have a force operationally capable anywhere in the world within 48 hours and men and women willing to do whatever is needed to make sure their mission is accomplished.

Many people look at the active duty forces only. You also should consider the reservists and national guardsmen and women.

I won't even mention the Army, Navy and Airforce capabilities. I will let them make their own boasts.

In a single nation vs US controntation I would say no, the only possible except might be China be even that I wouldnt bet on. However I think many people on this board greatly underestimate the true military capcity of Europe. Just because the Europeans dont like to fight doesnt mean that can't. Already the combined military might of the EU is larger. I think the EU would give the US a real fight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_active_troops

mmarsh said:

In a single nation vs US controntation I would say no, the only possible except might be China be even that I wouldnt bet on. However I think many people on this board greatly underestimate the true military capcity of Europe. Just because the Europeans dont like to fight doesnt mean that can't. Already the combined military might of the EU is larger. I think the EU would give the US a real fight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_active_troops

3European Union (Combined)1,565,000
4United States1,427,000

Look at the number of active troops per citizen as well. A higher percentage of the popualtion is in active military status vs the US. Then if you compare that to some of the other countries you will see that if the active troops per 1000 citizens were evened out the top 5 would come out well under the top 20 list for active duty service members vs the possible concsripts available.

That is ALL the European nations in the Union combined. So if England decided to go to war on the US the rest of the EU would go along with it? I can not even begin to enumerate the logistics nightmares in the waiting.

Last edited:
I don't want this to end up as a Country X vs Country Y thread, and I hope the mods don't perceive it as such, but America has better power projection capabilities than a combined EU Force. The EU has no heavy bombers and few 'real' Aircraft Carriers. Sure, invading Europe would not be an Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam or even WW2 for the US.

WOW! I had no idea India had the LARGEST number of active troops!:shock:

I sincerely hope all EU militaries unite under a single Armed Force. A lot of money would be saved that way.

Last edited:
I was working on an excel spreadsheet at work (I am at home finally) that depicted the % of the population that was in the military. I had it figured up but got called away from my desk. It is surprising really. If you look at the overall picture, some of the countries listed have a much larger population to draw on for conscripts than many of the countries that hold a large standing military.

If anyone has information that is general knowledge for countries e.g. Numbers of Tanks, Planes, weapon systems that can be put on the spread sheet then please look at my profile for my e-mail. I will do my best to put it on the spreadsheet and hopefully post it to a sight where I can just put a link up to it.

I sincerely hope all EU militaries unite under a single Armed Force. A lot of money would be saved that way.

Combined with more conservative governments I might actually consider visiting the "homeland" some time.

I was looking at this spreadsheet. It is surprising some the number of countries that have populations over 15mil yet have a standing military of less than 100,000.

In terms of the EU vs the USA:
1.) Well, the USA and the EU have an excellent relationship in general. There would have to a major shift in that relationship. It would have to be big enough for the entire EU in all of its disunity to firmly band together against the USA. I really can't dream up anything that could do that.
2.) Both are relatively equal in terms of technology. Both have nuclear weapons, so if the two went at it, we're looking at MAD taking effect the moment one or the other gets into a desperate situation. If someone somehow were to make nuclear holocaust impossible and the EU and the USA had to fight it out ...

-> neither would be capable of successfully invading the other. EU is somewhat larger in terms of population, so the sheer numbers they can draft into service is greater. The USA has a powerful Navy that would have to be destroyed before an invasion could be possible. Once a successful invasion is made, there is one very HUGE problem for the invaders: The USA's right to bear arms. Lots of them. American citizens are extremely well armed, on average. I feel sorry for anyone trying to occupy us because its going to cost them dearly in blood and lives.

The most important thing that I can say: Today's World is a rapidly changing World. A truly viable threat to the USA or anyone else in the world could materialize very quickly and in completely unexpected fashion. Nobody should ever say "nobody will ever threaten us." Its the first step toward exactly that happening.

godofthunder9010 said:
In terms of the EU vs the USA:
1.) Well, the USA and the EU have an excellent relationship in general. There would have to a major shift in that relationship. It would have to be big enough for the entire EU in all of its disunity to firmly band together against the USA. I really can't dream up anything that could do that.
2.) Both are relatively equal in terms of technology. Both have nuclear weapons, so if the two went at it, we're looking at MAD taking effect the moment one or the other gets into a desperate situation. If someone somehow were to make nuclear holocaust impossible and the EU and the USA had to fight it out ...

-> neither would be capable of successfully invading the other. EU is somewhat larger in terms of population, so the sheer numbers they can draft into service is greater. The USA has a powerful Navy that would have to be destroyed before an invasion could be possible. Once a successful invasion is made, there is one very HUGE problem for the invaders: The USA's right to bear arms. Lots of them. American citizens are extremely well armed, on average. I feel sorry for anyone trying to occupy us because its going to cost them dearly in blood and lives.

The most important thing that I can say: Today's World is a rapidly changing World. A truly viable threat to the USA or anyone else in the world could materialize very quickly and in completely unexpected fashion. Nobody should ever say "nobody will ever threaten us." Its the first step toward exactly that happening.

In My Opinion: EU would never dream of attacking the United States. First of all, we are letting the US do all the work. Second of all, we rely on US to gelp us out if something would ever happen. Third of all, we have some wierd respect towards the United States. Not as in *only* respect but I do believe the EU fear the states. A war against EU and US would never exist! Ever!

Young Winston said:
No.

Another civil war may weaken the US (and how likely is that???)
Pretty bloody unlikely. During Presidential Election years, some people in other countries are like, "Oh my, it looks like the United States is on the verge of a bloody Revolution!" This is a misconception. The United States is standing very united. Political differences are there, but nowhere near strong enough to cause another Civil War in the USA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back