Texas family loses both sons to war

Duty Honor Country

LUBBOCK, Texas - Less than two years ago, Roy Velez got the worst news a father could get: His oldest son was dead, killed during combat in Iraq.

his week, his pain only deepened with news that his youngest son had died in Afganistan. http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Afghanistan Military officials notified the Velez family Tuesday of the death of Army Spc. Andrew Velez, 22. His brother, Army Cpl. Jose A. Velez, 23, died in November 2004 in Fallujah when his unit came under fire while clearing an enemy stronghold.

"I can't be angry. I feel like my heart's been pulled out," Roy Velez said Tuesday. "We've done what the Lord allowed us to do for our country."
The family lost its only sons; there is one daughter.

The military does not have a regulation prohibiting the deployment of family members at the same time. But families can request that relatives return home if one is killed or disabled.

After his brother's death, the military gave Andrew Velez the option of not returning to combat, Roy Velez said. But Andrew Velez told his father he wanted to return to fight, his father said.

"You always do it for your buddy next to you," Roy Velez recalled his younger son saying.

Roy Velez last talked to Andrew Velez on the phone Saturday. His son told him he'd had "six close calls" as they tracked Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan, and that he was tired.
He was scheduled to return for 10 days of leave during the last week of August. "He said, 'Daddy, I'll see you in August,'" Roy Velez said.

Andrew Velez joined the Army about five years ago. He graduated in 2002 from Estacado High School in Lubbock. During his school years, he wrestled, played football and basketball and ran track. He also loved playing golf.

His older brother, Jose, joined the Army after graduating from the same high school in 2000 and hoped to attend medical school one day. He played football and was an honor student.

After his death, Jose Velez was awarded two Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star and a Silver Star. But burglars stole them all from his parents' home in June.

On Monday, the medals were replaced, thanks to the assistance of U.S. Rep. Randy Neugebauer, Roy Velez said. "And today at 12:30 I learned my other son was killed in action," he said.

Andrew Velez's survivors include his wife, Veronica Velez; a daughter, Jasmine Jade, 5; and two sons, Jordan Davis, 3, and Jacob Andrew, 2.

God bless the both. And if there is anyway for me to let the parents know that I give them my deepest thanks for what their two sons did.

These are certainly great losses to this family. Their sons died as heroes doing what they chose to do by answering our country's call to duty. We all owe them a huge measure of gratitude and may God be with them.

^ Correct that. What greater sacrifice can anyone give? Sure, the parents lost their child, but the children lost their father, the wife lost her husband. The brother lost a brother, the best friends lost a friend. It is much, MUCH more than just the parents. There are other deep connections. May God bless all connected to any loved ones of these boys. May God bless all.

This family represents all that is good in America. I believe the two boys are reunited now but I'd much rather we still had them here. We are losing the cream of society but that is always the way it is in time of war. The rats leave the ship and the brave stand and fight.:salute2:

C/1Lt Henderson said:
What greater sacrifice can anyone give? Sure, the parents lost their child, but the children lost their father.

:salute2: hear hear, thats what i meant. May God comfort all connected to these fine young men.

Missileer said:
This family represents all that is good in America. I believe the two boys are reunited now but I'd much rather we still had them here. We are losing the cream of society but that is always the way it is in time of war. The rats leave the ship and the brave stand and fight.:salute2:
It's more like the cowards leave the ship ... and the brave stay to protect the innocent. You will find the cowards in Canada and the brave will join their comrades in Valhalla when the horn is next blown.

My heart felt wishes go out to the family and friends of these two young men ... may you remember the good times and may the healing deaden your feelings of loss. Your loss and the loss to our nation has again watered the tree of freedom. The fact that the freedom is the freedom of those you will never meet, doesn't change their sacrifice.

The Lord praised those who fought evil ... should we do less?

This afternoon I read the messages regarding the sad loss of the two Velez family sons.
Yesterday, I was reading the report about the death of a British soldier, Corporal Matthew Cornish, usually stationed in Paderborn/Germany, but serving a third term of duty in Iraq. He too leaves a young wife and two children behind!
I am not a softy, and I am used to seeing the suffering of wounded and smelling the typical odour which surrounds dead bodies. But when I think of all the people who have been and still are being killed, in unnecessary wars around the world, it makes me feel sick to see the grinning faces of the politicians who have sent so many to their deaths!
Had these gentlemen been so competent in carrying out their responsibilities as the soldiers are in theirs, we would not have half as many casualties. It is certainly the duty of the armed forces, in times of danger, to defend their countries. More so however, is it the obligation of statesmen to see that this duty is not necessary.
The words of "we have accomplished the job" should possibly have been, "you have accomplished your job, because we have failed in ours." I feel that would at least have been honest.

Back