Talented German commanders.

Ok how about Generalleutnant Hyazinth Graf von Strachwitz?
Here is brief run down on his qualifications:

By the time of the Operation Barbarossa, Graf Strachwitz (holding the rank of Major) commanded the first battalion of Panzer Regiment 2, being awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 25 August 1941. On 13 November 1942, he became the 144th soldier to be awarded the Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, by now commanding the entire regiment. Fighting on the northern front of the Stalingrad pocket, his unit destroyed 105 Soviet tanks without loss; he was seriously wounded and lucky enough to be evacuated before the Stalingrad pocket collapsed.

By January 1943, "der Panzergraf" (The Armoured Count, as he was by then known) was an Oberst and given command of Panzer Regiment Grossdeutschland. Not long after followed the award of the Swords to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, on 28 March 1943, for his part in the counterattack at Kharkov.

In November 1943, Strachwitz left the Grossdeutschland on what were termed grounds of ill health in the official record. Off the record, tension existed between Graf Strachwitz and GD's divisional commander, Generalleutnant "Papa" Hoernlein. Some veterans feel that the true reason for his leaving lied there.

Graf Strachwitz has been described as a good tactician at the battalion and regimental level, but also as being inflexible not open to compromise.

Being recalled to active duty after extended sick leave in January 1944, and with promotion to Generalmajor d.R. (der Reserve), Graf Strachwitz went on to become the 11th soldier of the German Armed Forces to be awarded the Diamonds to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, on 15 April 1944. He briefly commanded the 1st Panzer Division during this time.

He was in Russia on the Courland front in late August 1944, inspecting the front, when he was injured severely in an automobile accident. To that point he had already been wounded thirteen times. With great powers of recuperation, The Armoured Count was soon back in action, and after promotion to Generalleutnant in January 1945, was first raising new armoured units, and then once again planning the defence of his Silesian homeland.

The qualities described above are felt by some to have prevented effective command by him of a division-size formation. His skill and bravery at lower levels had always shone through, and Strachwitz was at his best acting independently, without having to interact with officers of equal or superior rank.

He continued to lead his troops despite poor heath which manifested itself by an inability to walk,severe headaches and long spells spent unconscious inside his vehicle. Nonetheless, he looked to his troops first, and he led his men west out of what was to become the Soviet zone of occupation to surrender to the Americans rather than be captured by the Russians.

Having lost two sons during the war, he would go on to lose his wife while in captivity. His Silesian estate was taken by the Russians, and Strachwitz remained in West Germany upon his release from US custody. After a brief journey to Syria to help organize the military there (and his subsequent flight from Syria after the ruling power was overthrown), he settled on an estate in Bavaria in 1951, where he lived until 1968. He lies today in Grabenstätt, Germany, having passed away shy of his 75th birthday.

He was the most decorated regimental officer of the German panzer army in WWII.

Awards:
Knight cross 25.08.1941
Oak leaves (144) 13.11.1942
Swords (027) 28.03.1943
Diamonds (011) 15.04.1944
Tank combat badge in gold (4th stage)
Citation in the Wehrmacht Report
Wounding Badge in Gold

Source: Tigers in Action

I don't know a much harder question would have been "Talentless German Commanders" I think that since the change away from ranks determined by "social position" in the 17th and 18th century the worlds officer corps has become increasingly professional and competent (sorry Sam) and it is harder and harder to find inherently bad ones.

However both Hoth and Heinrici are two that I have always wanted to know more about but never really tried to find out about, one day I will have to devote time to their careers.

Last edited:
The magazine "WORLD WAR II", Vol. 23, NO. 1, (April/May 2008) from the Weider History Group, had a very good write up on General Balck (General der Panzertruppe) when he commanded the 11th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front during WWII.

Germany had many fine commanders throughout WW2:
Eberbach
Hausser
Hoepner
Hube
Student
Schweppenburg
Steiner
to name a few...

Both Kesselring and Vietinghoff did an impressive job at holding up the Allied advance in Italy (yes I know it is a defenders paradise) with very limited resources.

Hans-Jürgen von Arnim who performed well under Guderian and took over the remnants of Panzer Armee Afrika holding off both the British and American forces for almost 6 months with almost no resources.

Then you have the likes of U-Boat commanders Otto Kretschmer and Wolfgang Luth who between them sank 500,000 tons of allied shipping

You also have Erich Hartmann and Erich Barkhorn who are the only men to have scored 300+ kills (and will probably remain so forever) and went on to help rebuild the Luftwaffe of today.

However I think an honourable mention for best name and role to suit would have to go to...

General of Mountain Troops (General der Gebirgstruppe) August Winter.

Germany had many fine commanders throughout WW2:
Eberbach
Hausser
Hoepner
Hube
Student
Schweppenburg
Steiner
to name a few...

Both Kesselring and Vietinghoff did an impressive job at holding up the Allied advance in Italy (yes I know it is a defenders paradise) with very limited resources.

Hans-Jürgen von Arnim who performed well under Guderian and took over the remnants of Panzer Armee Afrika holding off both the British and American forces for almost 6 months with almost no resources.

Then you have the likes of U-Boat commanders Otto Kretschmer and Wolfgang Luth who between them sank 500,000 tons of allied shipping

You also have Erich Hartmann and Erich Barkhorn who are the only men to have scored 300+ kills (and will probably remain so forever) and went on to help rebuild the Luftwaffe of today.

However I think an honourable mention for best name and role to suit would have to go to...

General of Mountain Troops (General der Gebirgstruppe) August Winter.

What about the General that with very few available tanks opened a corridor so the Northern Army Group could evacuate from the trap in Estonia, when the Soviets encircled them. Help me out here, guys. I do not remember his name. Perhaps someone here has mention him already

What about the General that with very few available tanks opened a corridor so the Northern Army Group could evacuate from the trap in Estonia, when the Soviets encircled them. Help me out here, guys. I do not remember his name. Perhaps someone here has mention him already

I am assuming you mean Army Group Courland (Heeresgruppe Kurland) and yes they did a great job as did the Kriegsmarine in keeping them supplied.

The commanders of Heeresgruppe Kurland were:
- Ferdinand Schoerner
- Lothar Rendulic
- Heinrich von Vietinghoff
- Carl Hilpert

I am assuming you mean Army Group Courland (Heeresgruppe Kurland) and yes they did a great job as did the Kriegsmarine in keeping them supplied.

The commanders of Heeresgruppe Kurland were:
- Ferdinand Schoerner
- Lothar Rendulic
- Heinrich von Vietinghoff
- Carl Hilpert

YES!! Thank you (this forum is better than google) What do you guys think about Joachim Peiper?

Last edited:
YES!! Thank you (this forum is better than google) What do you guys think about Joachim Peiper?

What we think about him is somewhat irrelevant as this isn't a poll there are no right or wrong answers.

Peipers problem is that he will always be tied to the Malmedy Massacre and he and his men had a brutal reputation from the Russian front but it was a brutal campaign and despite histories attempt to turn the Allies into choir boys the reality is that they committed acts that would have seen them on trial had they lost as well.

So if you are prepared to look beyond the known you would have to rate Joachim Peiper as a talented leader after all by age 29 he was already a full Colonel with the Knights Cross and swords so clearly he knew what he was doing on a battlefield.

What we think about him is somewhat irrelevant as this isn't a poll there are no right or wrong answers.

Peipers problem is that he will always be tied to the Malmedy Massacre and he and his men had a brutal reputation from the Russian front but it was a brutal campaign and despite histories attempt to turn the Allies into choir boys the reality is that they committed acts that would have seen them on trial had they lost as well.

So if you are prepared to look beyond the known you would have to rate Joachim Peiper as a talented leader after all by age 29 he was already a full Colonel with the Knights Cross and swords so clearly he knew what he was doing on a battlefield.

I was not clear with that question; I was focusing on the question of this thread, not what he was responsible for, more how you viewed him as a talented commander.

Been thinking about this one all day and I am going to add another name that is not well known...

Captain Hans-Jürgen Reinicke, Captain of the KMS Prinz Eugen from 5 January 1944 - 7 May 1945.
Awards:
Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th and 3rd Class (2 October 1936)
Spanish Cross in Silver with Swords (23 June 1939)
Iron Cross (1939)
2nd Class (27 November 1939)
1st Class (19 April 1940)
German Cross in Gold (12 March 1942)
High Seas Fleet Badge (19 March 1942)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 21 April 1945 as Kapitän zur See and commander of the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen

During this period the Prinz Eugen is in action on the Baltic Coast supporting troops and covering the evacuation of troops and civilians.

10 March - 4 April 1945: Prinz Eugen is engaged in shore bombardment operations against Russian troops off the Gulf of Danzig. The ships fires on land targets around Tiegenhoff, Ladekopp, Zoppot and Danzig.
In twenty-six days the ship has expended 4,871 rounds of 20.3 cm ammunition, and 2,644 rounds of 10.5 cm ammunition.

It is the only German capital ship to survive the war in an operational state.

It is no secret that the Prinz Eugen is my favourite fighting ship of any period but I was reticent to put this guy forward however the ship was his command and it performed outstandingly throughout the war especially the last 12 months of it in a navy who's surface fleet was at best "quiet" so I think he deserves to be mentioned.

Last edited:
Being under 20,000 tons, it may not be a capital ship, but it was indeed beautiful. It is ironic that the one surviving German Cruiser was able to bomb the Soviets for weeks and Soviet aviation could not sink it, despite its limited AAA and the very weak LW in the area.

Ok a new contender...

General der Artillerie Wilhelm Stemmermann
(23 October 1888 – 18 February 1944).

Awards and decorations

Iron Cross (1914)
2nd Class
1st Class
Wound Badge (1914)
in Black
Knights Second Class of the Order of the Zähringer Lion
Cross of Honor
Anschluss Medal
Sudetenland Medal with Prague Castle Bar
Iron Cross (1939)
2nd Class (12 September 1939)
1st Class (23 September 1939)
Wound Badge (1939)
in Silver
General Assault Badge with "25" Numeral
Eastern Front Medal
German Cross in Gold (21 August 1942)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
Knight's Cross on 7 February 1944 as General der Artillerie and commander of XI. Armeekorps
399th Oak Leaves on 18 February 1944 as General der Artillerie and commander of XI. Armeekorps
Mentioned twice in the Wehrmachtbericht on (20 February 1944 and 22 February 1944)

I figured I would put him into the mix as his defense of and break out from the Korsun-Cherkassy Pocket was a fine example of leadership under extremely difficult conditions and given his awards it seems that this was a man that lead from the front yet has remained relatively unknown.

A good write up on this battle/campaign can be found in
KORSUN POCKET: The Encirclement and Breakout of a German Army in the East, 1944 by Niklas Zetterling and Anders Frankson.

This operation is also where Leon Degrelle and the Walloon volunteers distinguished themselves.

Last edited:
Some good replies. I still feel Guderian is up there, despite his diminished and tarnished reputation over the past few years. It is arguable whether commanders like Manstein, Balck, Hoth et all would have had the same appreciation of armoured warfare without Guderian being around. His political allegiance and relationship with Hitler undoubtedly helped him, but Guderian was still pivotal in the development of the panzerwaffe, without being the all-seeing father that his memoirs suggest he was.

Some good replies. I still feel Guderian is up there, despite his diminished and tarnished reputation over the past few years. It is arguable whether commanders like Manstein, Balck, Hoth et all would have had the same appreciation of armoured warfare without Guderian being around. His political allegiance and relationship with Hitler undoubtedly helped him, but Guderian was still pivotal in the development of the panzerwaffe, without being the all-seeing father that his memoirs suggest he was.

Regarding the idea that it has only been in the last few years that Guderians reputation has been tarnished the first serious case of his personality and abilities being called into question that I recall reading was Operation Barbarossa by Bryan Fugate in 1984 now I accept it wasn't a great book but the theme of Guderian being a self-centered, self promoter have persisted for at least the last 30 years.

I think Guderian was incredibly lucky that the likes of Rommel and von Kluge did not survive the war as I am sure they would have refuted much of his work.

That being said I think he was an able commander who's ego has diminished his achievements, I think he deserves to be in list but perhaps it is time people stopped looking at him through rose coloured glasses.

I think Guderian was incredibly lucky that the likes of Rommel and von Kluge did not survive the war as I am sure they would have refuted much of his work.
Why those 2 commanders in particular Monty?

Rommel, as far as I know, was in tune with Guderian and apparently recommended Guderian as the only commander who could replace him in Africa. They disagreed over the placement of armour in 1944 but I'm not aware that there was any major dispute between them other than that. I could be wrong though. Consider too that Rommel was in the minority here - the other senior commanders consulted, Rundsedt and Schweppenburg, agreed with Guderian. Schweppenburg himself was a highly regarded panzer commander and he knew his stuff. They came into WW2 from separate arms of the Heer and Rommel came to armour only after Guderian had laid the groundwork. Whether Guderian was the overall 'father of blitzkrieg' is open to considerable debate but as far as Germany goes it was mainly him. I'm not sure how much of Guderian's work Rommel would be in a position to refute.

It's well documented that Guderian and Kluge didn't get on - in fact they appear to have hated each other. Given that, you would have to be careful of any criticism of each man by the other. That to one side, Kluge was a more traditional commander and there would have been natural suspicion to Guderian's doctrines even if they had been best of friends. They were also direct rivals, despite the fact that in theory Guderian was subordinate. The thing is though, it is Kluge who ultimately performed the most poorly out of all the senior commanders involved in the Battle of Moscow by way of inaction. His failure to reinforce the 2nd phase of Operation Typhoon with his 4th Army may have cost the Germans the chance to capture Moscow. In any case, Kluge was a traditional, albeit very good commander, who was cautious and methodical. Not the best person to refute Guderian's legacy if I'm honest.

That being said I think he was an able commander who's ego has diminished his achievements, I think he deserves to be in list but perhaps it is time people stopped looking at him through rose coloured glasses.
Well there's no doubt Guderian had a massive ego. It's pretty much a requirement for any senior commander. There's also little doubt that Guderian inflated himself in various parts of his memoirs and left out incidents that probably wouldn't show him in the best light. I think that can be said about most memiors to a greater or lesser degree. It's right to revise Guderian's standing but at the same time don't be tempted to flip in the opposite direction. It's interesting that you attribute the phrase 'rose coloured glasses' to him when most would argue that it's Rommel who has enjoyed an inflated reputation. Hardly anyone outside military circles has even heard of Guderian but there does seem to be an element of hero worship amongst some. I have to admit I was guilty of this for a while. I still hold him in high regard but much more tempered with objectivity now.

Well,I have a low opinionof Guderian :his'Panzerleader' can,IMHO,be thrown away :it's (among a lot of other things) concealing that he was involved in the preparation of Barbarossa(which he denied),he,wrongly claimed to be the inventor of the Blitzkrieg,he wrongly claimed that Hitler was responsible fot Dunkirk,etc,etc,he wrongly claimed that after the fall of France,Hitler doubled the number of PzD,while halving the number of tanks.
His tenure as IG of the tanks was not brilliant.

Back